Any reliability issues with Portofino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any reliability issues with Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by carthusiast, Aug 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    When was the last time you used the battery tender before the event ?

2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If by "maintenance" you mean "rebuild", I know for a fact that there are some Ferraris with 200,000 km on the clock without any problem whatsoever.

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    For what it's worth, I have read multiple times that Ferrari delivers new cars with a sub-standard battery. Many people suggest replacing it with a better one. Seems like a foolish business decision to not fit a high quality one in the first place, especially since some owners don't drive their cars much (and therefore require a higher quality, durable battery!)

sampelligrino likes this.
  4. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I'm not sure this is the real issue, it looks like the real problem is that the car uses too much energy when idle. There are gurus in the forum who can comment more on this.

5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have not had to use the battery tender as I use the car several times a week. I had a similar issue in my F12 when it was new and they replaced the battery. After that it never had an issue.

6. Raghu

Raghu Rookie

Nov 12, 2017
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Full Name:
    Raghu
    Same thing happened to me when driving the car after a 2 week vacation. Car was on the charger. Called my dealer and they told me to drive it and it should go away. They said it was a battery issue. I drove it for about 20 minutes and it went away. I noticed that the battery voltage would decrease to below 12 volts when accelerating but after the 20 minutes and a gas fill up, would rise with acceleration as expected and stay above 12 volts. No issues with this since. I have had a minor issue with A/C. When the recirculate button is pushed or comes on in Auto mode, air stops flowing from all the vents. Works okay when recirculate is turned off. Mine has ventilated seats. Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue.

7. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I have had my Portofino for almost 5 months and 1,500+ miles and only had to replace one tire that developed a bubble. Good thing I bought the wheel/tire insurance as the tire was replaced at no cost in 30 minutes.

8. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    yep we had the car 3 weeks then toured France, Switzerland and Italy for a month! So you can ‘live’ in a portofino for a month!
    Another 700 since last post!

9. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Quick update, my Portofino has been in the shop all week. Ferrari will not release the car. The electrical tests they have been running indicate the electronics controlling certain functions of the car are not communicating with each other. Good reason not to release the car to me. Latest tests Ferrari requested was to analyze the steering functions. Initially tests showed low voltage, then showed the passenger display was not “connecting” with the rest of the car.

Maybe my car got hacked!!

Will keep you updated.

10. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Picked up the car. The issue was caused by me not letting all the computers sync before starting. Ferrari's that you had to use a key to actually start the car I always waited for all the lights to go off. I guess I need to do this with this car....

11. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Interesting. I must be doing that instinctively; I haven't really thought about it, but it doesn't take more than a second or so for the lights to go out.

12. chrisf355spider

Jun 24, 2014
    buckinghamshire , uk
    Full Name:
    chris coates
    just an update .. to set the record straight ... the sensors are very sensitive.. on advice from garage added another 5lbs pressure and nothing since ! User error !!!

13. Mr Suki

Mr Suki Rookie

Sep 16, 2023
    Camberley UK
    Full Name:
    Najeeb Khan
    Hi . Need some advice. My new Portofino M with 1800 miles arrived on Saturday. On Tuesday went to Ferrari hospital. Both cameras not working intermittently. Been there 6 days. And they can’t find the fault. Really sad.

14. masguy40

masguy40 Karting

Oct 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kerry Lemos
    2 months 1K miles. Take this polite advice, put the car on the battery tender EVERY NIGHT after driving it.
    Every Night.
    Ferrari makes it so easy with the PM and the magnetic connection.
    it makes a world of difference with the electronics, servos, ECU, and starter motor.

15. Mr Suki

Mr Suki Rookie

Sep 16, 2023
    Camberley UK
    Full Name:
    Najeeb Khan
    ————/
    Thanks so much. Your message could not have been more polite. I understand that the trickle charger is vital and not only for long periods of storage. Appreciate it.

16. Mr Suki

Mr Suki Rookie

Sep 16, 2023
    Camberley UK
    Full Name:
    Najeeb Khan
    Thanks so much. Your message could not have been more polite.
    I understand that the trickle charger is vitaland not only for long periods of storage. Appreciate it.

I wonder if any techie people are out there to suggest a fix. My car is still at the repair shop.

17. jayhawk1323

jayhawk1323 Rookie

Aug 30, 2021
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Jason G
    Had PM for 400 miles and 2 months and car will only go into 2/4/6 gears. In the shop now hopefully not too long.

18. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Bummer. Just had my wife's PFM in for its one year / 2000 mile check up with absolutely no issues. I'm sure they will get it resolved for you.

19. Mr Suki

Mr Suki Rookie

Sep 16, 2023
    Camberley UK
    Full Name:
    Najeeb Khan
    Hello Jayhawk. From what I am understanding is the Portofino M has a lot more electronics than the Portofino. And even technicians can sometimes get stumped. So some of the mechanical issues tend to be related to the software or firmware. But they get there in the end. Hope it comes back dancing, as it's one of the great cars Ferrari built. Bye

20. alps

alps Rookie

Nov 17, 2012
    Zurich
    I only use the A/C compressor when it is extremely hot and like to get ambient temperature air blowing into the passenger compartment. When I switch off the compressor, I get hot air out of the face vents, even on a very hot day! The dealer says a portion of the air inflow always goes via the heating system and I should keep the compressor on, even with the roof down! Sounds crazy. Anybody else noticed this and has found a fix? Thanks (2020 Portofino).

21. Mr Suki

Mr Suki Rookie

Sep 16, 2023
    Camberley UK
    Full Name:
    Najeeb Khan
    Hi Alps, Dealer is right. The air system in your car takes the ambient air and heats it over the heat exchanger and pushes it into the cabin. In winter the heat exchanger valves open to let in hot engine coolant. But in summer there will still be a small amount of engine coolant in the heat exchanger. Hence you need to switch on air conditioning to direct the air via the heat exchanger that is refrigerated. This is not true of all cars.

22. Mizzenmast

Mizzenmast Rookie

Nov 8, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    David
    Had mine since the end of May 22 and have put over 3000 very uneventful miles on her. Great car and surprisingly practical for long trips as well as being fun and quick. So far so good !

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I have had endless problems with the battery. On my fourth in three years. Intrigued by your question “was the car key close to the car”. My key is always kept at night about 20 meters away from the car, even when the car is on a charger. Why does that matter? Could it be causing a drain? Would be grateful for a reply

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

24. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I would imagine the key being close to the car would keep communication going between the key and the car, causing a drain. I have no idea what distance away you need to be, but definitely if your key works where you store it or close to where you store it is something you could try.

25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The only issues I’ve had in 8000 miles in 1.7 years was my passenger display recently crapped out. Also there was a AC leak. Fortunately I have the bumper to bumper warranty. F Tampa will be replacing the display next week. I use the car for my daily driver.