Any Road Bikers? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Any Road Bikers?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fingolfin, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dalecarlsbad

dalecarlsbad Rookie

May 22, 2009
    #76 dalecarlsbad, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Been riding and racing since the early 80's. Bike collecting is like car collecting...there's always one more ride out there you "need". I'm up to 14 bikes now if you count the Powertap spinner in the workout room. I stopped the hardcore racing about 4 years ago and ride for fitness mostly now. As Rob noted, it's hard to jump back into a pack of fit riders and hang on.

My riding now is mostly fixed gear. Very efficient way to get in a good work out. The fixie (has a flip-flop hub for freewheeling) is my favorite bike. It's a custom built Vanilla. Old school lug work. Made in Portland.

My favorite road bike is my '03 Pinarello Prince. Lot's of miles on that machine. Super comfortable. Rode a 100 mi. race (Hotter n Hell) in under 4 hrs on that rig. I also have a Bianchi cross bike, a Monoc time trial rig with Zipp 404 rear disc, and a Moots 29" Ti mountain bike.

I got the collecting bug a few years ago and acquired a 1970 Masi, a 1974 Colnago, and the "holy grail" of bikes, a Confente. Only 135 Confente's made before he died at age 35. I'll never own a 250 GT0, but this is as good as it gets with bikes.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i also have an 03 prince...full record w/ pinarello charisma carbon wheels. a killer bike!

4. lateralus

lateralus Karting

Sep 6, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not sure how I missed this post, I'd been looking on craigslist and shortly after I posted I got lucky and found one. Incredibly fast bike.

5. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Congrats! Lets see some pics!

6. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've got a Colnago C50 & C40. One with Dura Ace 10 speed and the other with Campy Record 10 Speed. I'll try to get some pictures up later.

7. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #82 Modenafan, Jul 18, 2009
    Here's a picture of me at the TDF in 2002 (C40) and participating in a ride years back (C50), I'm in red. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  10. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Okay, I am new to road biking, I just received a Nishiki 21 speed Ultra Tour (there more wording after that, but its worn out) from my dad to ride to school. The bike hasn't been ridden in probably 12 years. It needs new tires and brakes, but other then that its in pretty good condition. I believe the tires are 28(?) inches. What brakes/tires would be the best for it? I BMX, so I'm used to biking. What are the big differences from mtn/bmx?

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I ride my Suzuki Hayabusa on the road and my KTM 450EXCR in the dirt...

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    :rolleyes:

13. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    #88 tjacoby, Sep 26, 2009
    It depends:
    how many miles you're doing
    what weather and road conditions you're riding on
    how heavy you are
    what rim size you have
    what your budget is

go make friends with your Local Bike Shop, if you don't like the answers find another one you can relate to. They are out there. Probably need new tubes as well. I have a preference for Michelin - but lots of tires will do for general riding.

I haven't bmx'd but from a cross-country perspective? like a sports car vs an off-road 4-wheeler.

From our last race of the season, 12km @ roughly 7%. Finished 19/46, getting back into shape after being strapped to the back board in March. Solis Nitro with Ultrega and DA.

some of the winter 2010 Olympics will be on the hill in the background.

14. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Thanks! Really looking forward to getting everything done on it!

15. dolikeeddi

dolikeeddi Rookie

Oct 9, 2009
    #90 dolikeeddi, Oct 11, 2009
  16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Holy mother of god! I ride a 10-20 year old Peugeot that weighs half a ton. I just tried a Specialized Tarmac Expert that weighs about 2 ounces. Unbelievable. It felt like cheating. I was by myself. I can't imagine drafting. I have it till Tuesday. I was exiting the same corner I have done a million times on my old bike, and I was carrying so much speed that I ended up in the fast lane. Luckily there was no traffic because of the red light. How on earth am I going to go back to my old behemoth?

17. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Sell the E Class. Buy the Specialized ( you might need to add some cash).

18. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
  19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am going to be in South Florida for the week after Christmas putting in some base miles, if anyone wants to join me. I am ending my 2009 season after the 3rd round of the UCI World Cup next week and will take a couple of weeks off right after that. I'll start back with some nice long days in the FL sunshine. As I said, if anyone wants to put in some good miles, send me a note.

20. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

Cheers Ryan! Hope all is well and happy holidays!!

peter

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How has the season gone Ryan?

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Is that road or track? cross just finished #4.

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Hy Rob, I am doing the track world cups. I did #1 and will do #3. I was selected for all 4 rounds but it's too much travel and while I suppose it is a possibility for #4, I kind of need to end the season somewhere to start getting ready for next year.

For my first full season back, I guess I should be happy. I won a bunch of races throughout the year on the road and the track but really turned it on at the end of the year. I won two silver medals at US National Elite/Pro Track Championships, although that was somewhat disappointing. I lost one to the reigning world champion, and never thought I would win that but, in my best event, I had it won and kind of lost track of where all the others were on the track and at the very end, I let someone catch up to me. I blew another title in a third event when I was 20 meters from lapping the field and securing another national championship but I hesitated and didn't really get on it until it was too late and the field started ramping it up for the sprint and I got caught with 250m to go. Regardless, I was a factor in all four events showed that I am back to being one of the best. And the nice thing about a national championships is that it's apple and apples as it's all the best guys here and everyone's peaked and ready. No one is saving anything, although those of us that go on to do the international stuff do a get a little faster later.

Anyway, after that, I got invites to most of the good races in Europe and Australia, and while I will stay with my pro track team, it looks about 90% sure that I'll be racing on the road for a pro road team from Italy next year. But I only have a verbal so far so we will see what happens. Regardless, next year, I will probably do more in Europe and hopefully do a few good 6 days.

It's funny because while I have been training properly since January 3 and working on a long slow build up, I don't feel tired mentally or physically at all. I have to take the break because at some point it all catches up but I feel like I did a good job getting faster over the course of the year without doing too much and getting fried by the end of the year.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Congrats! Does sound like a great year back.

25. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna