Any Road Bikers? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Any Road Bikers?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fingolfin, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    crappy way to end the season - here's hoping for a killer 2010.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I am pretty depressed about it all but I know that I'll come back better than ever.

For sure I'll end up with a late start to 2010 and I probably won't get decent until July or August but there are worse things. It's just kind of hard to lose the end of the season this way. I also wanted to bump up my world ranking a little and try to get in the top 25 or so now that can't happen this year.

4. CyclingPeaks

CyclingPeaks Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2006
    Big Island, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Hunter Allen
    Get Well Ryan. Take your time and make sure that pelvis heals correctly. It's better to give it some extra time and tender care than try to come back too fast and screw it up for life.

Hunter

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Thanks, Hunter. That's exactly what I am thinking about.

6. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I'm a new road biker. My goal was 400 miles last month, and I made it!! Basically I did 8 fifty mile rides. How many miles do you guys do in a month?

7. mattcooke

mattcooke Karting

Jul 14, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Matt Cooke
    Ryan, you will have to come do some motor pacing up in Boulder once it gets warm. Gateway was good last week, I'll do it again this week and then to Tucson. If you were in Tucson, then you would get fit quickly.

8. mattcooke

mattcooke Karting

Jul 14, 2009
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Matt Cooke
    Also, if anyone has a powermeter I can use for a while I would happily be in their debt.
    Thank you!

9. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    MC, Not quite ready for the speed. I have been bundling up and putting in some long slow days. Last Sunday (yes, the one with 36 mph gusts and 19 deg wind chill) I went out for 6.5 hours and 122 miles. I am thinking about Gateway next weekend, maybe on Saturday. Just a little test to see what's what. Are you going to be in Tucson then?

No Tucson for me but I will get some warm weather as I am heading back to South Florida in a couple of weeks (Feb 13 to 22) to put in more miles. Not a lot of intensity, just miles. It will probably be a 35 hour week. It's a good place for it since I might jump in a couple of group rides since they're not very hard. Still, I wouldn't mind some long climbs and Tucson would be good since I would like to give the shootout a go and see where I am to start the year.

As of now, I'm scheduled to start the season the first weekend of March in CO. You?

10. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Those are long days, congrats on reaching your goal!

As a Masters 40-49 I'm doing 10-14hrs/week, targetting ~2hr races (Canadian Nationals RR in July). Carmichael's latest book has gains possible with a very focused 6hrs/week, although I doubt many people can be that disciplined without a coach. A Pro like Sherpa, @ 35hrs in a week, "slow" base building @ 20mph avg, is a lot of miles in a month. I think it was Qatar, Team Columbia was claiming the peloton was clocking along at 71km/h at one point, on the flats.

Hope your pelvis is holding together for FL Ryan!

11. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Damn, 44mph on the flats is fast. I don't think I've done 44 on the downhills.

I just read a story of a family of 5 on 1 bike, riding from Kentucky to Florida to Alaska. They were in Newport Beach, CA this weekend. Yes I said 1 bike. It's a 5 seater. Crazy!

http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2010/02/16/publicsafety/dpt-harrison021610.txt

12. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I hit 56 on a downhill once, definitely a little un-nerving.

13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #113 SCEye, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
    here are mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(apparently I don't know how to post pictures)

14. coppi

coppi Rookie

Mar 29, 2009
    Someone likes Titanium.

15. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #115 SCEye, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    I got into bikes in the late 80's and Ti was the magic material at that time.
    The first time I got Ti bike I was wowed by the ride quality (coming from steel and Al). So the next 4 bikes are also Ti. Then I got CF/Ti (Merlin) which I liked so my next bike was CF (Kestrel). Didn't like the Kestrel so much and sold it.
    I might give CF another try in the future... maybe Colnago, Look, or Cervelo.

16. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    that's why these guys get paid $$. They're FAST!

17. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Any info/forums/road bikes recommended for a newbie? Thx!

18. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    #118 AustinMartin, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    So I have been road biking for the past few months, and its time to upgrade my bike. I've been looking into Fujis, and have fallen in love with them. I am looking at getting a Fuji Robaix 2.0. But I am wondering if there are any alternatives out there. Please note that the max that I am willing to pay is around $1,200 and I will be saving for a few months(I'm 16). I want something that will last!

Rob

Edit: Brake integrated shifters are a must for me! I hope to be doing racing with it at some point.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know anything about Fuji bikes. I've always been comfortable with the Trek and Specialized bikes.

20. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    I've looked into Trek bikes, and all I can say is WOW! But the prices are a bit out of my range!

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    $1,200 is light for a racing suitable bike; sorry - but that's the way it is. You'll also need quality shorts, and quality shoes/cleats. And if racing - you'll need to replace a bunch of stuff quite often as the miles add up. cassette's and chains, brake pads, wheels, tires, tubes, saddles, and whatever brakes. Buy what you can afford to maintain, buy some basic tools and a book on how to maintain it.

Ultimately - I believe a racing bike is a tool to get the job done. It's you that makes the bike; your training, your attitude, your enthusiasm, and your spirit. It's a fantastic sport - find a group to ride with, and see if you can get fast enough to beat us old guys!

Personally, I think Specialized is the top of the heap - good enough for the top two TdF riders, and a great commercial. :)

I'd prioritize as: tires, wheels, groupset, and frame - in that order, imo. Frame manufacturer's is far down the list.

Good luck, and post your first race results!

22. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Thanks for the info! I wish I had a few k's to drop on a racing bike, but when your 16 and earning minimum wage your options are pretty thin! Shorts and clothing are a non-issue, as my parents are will to cover all the clothing and apparel costs. I have found a local group to ride with, and look to join ASAP. I will look into Specialized bikes too! Thanks! What do you recommend as far as tires and wheels go?

23. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    fantastic parents! One of the kids in our group got sponsored by a local team, and @ 17 yo is now riding on a team provided Trek Madone 6, came 3rd in Nationals, and just placed very well in a huge race in Europe (Omloop Hett Volk)! Nothing but hard work and great attitude :). No reason you can't either.

Most important factor, is get a bike that FITS. I don't care if it's made of playwood - if it fits, you'll have more fun. When I was a bit older than you, I just had to have a shiny cool road bike - but it was massively too big for me, and turned me off riding for 20 years. Shame on the bike shop that sold it to me, but lots will, especially. Even if you have to pay for a professional fitting. Best $'s you'll ever spend (along with a quality helmet - ask how I know :)).

I'm in a different price category than you, but I'm happy with the Shimano Ultegra wheels I just picked up - fantastic value imo. I like solid gear that every shop can work on, nothing funky for my racing bike - that's what the Ferrari's for. I've also had good experience with Michelin Pro3 tires, and avoid the racing tubes - weight saving's minimal for the cost/risk imo. Shimano's given me awesome support so far, YMMV.

Tires are a personal decision as you get used to what you like and don't like - and depends on the road surface/weather/riding style/preference... The bad news is you'll be replacing them regulary, the good news is you'll have lots of chances to try different tires :). Although I just got 3,600km's out of my last set - a new record for me. previous set only lasted 500km in the mess of the winter roads.

I've ridden quite a few great wheels - but for the $'s, I'd rather invest in my training than more expensive gear that's obsolete in a year or two.

Check out the Shimano Di2 kit :)

fyi - I'm on a used Solis Nitro frame (made by Orbea - also a good frame maker) with a Shimano Pro fork (great fork!). I'm not a fan of used racing bikes - there's so many things that can go wrong with bikes that end very badly. I trust the previous owner with my life, and it's worked out well. I had a Trek 5.5 before, and this blows the Trek away.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you might consider a used race bike. they depreciate a bunch. I was actually surprised that my new Trek wasn't much better than my 10 year old 5500 that got hit by a car. The new Trek is slightly lighter (1-1.5 lbs), but overall seems more fragile and not sure the Dura Ace has improved much in 10 years. That new bike is $5k+. You could give a several year old Madone with Dura Ace for less than a couple thousand I think. I think that would give you a 4x better bike than equivalent priced new bike.

25. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    #125 Rory J, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    Yep, agreed. Go used. I just picked up a used alum/carbon De Rosa built in 2007 with full Campy Centaur Carbon and Mavic Open Pro wheels for under the $1200 limit you mentioned. Weighs about 17lbs, rides great after a tune-up. A few scrapes and scratches, but structurally sound and probably the best bike I've owned. Cost new? $3800 fully built. Just make sure whatever you buy actually fits you.

The bike I considered new in the same price range was the Felt F75. Race-oriented Geometry, alum/carbon construction and full Shimano 105. It was nice, but weighed 21 lbs and just didn't have the quality feel to it that the De Rosa gave. With Ferraris and bicycles, buying used will often give much better value (assuming it's been taken care of). Depreciation is just too huge on both.