Any Road Bikers? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Any Road Bikers?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by fingolfin, Nov 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    So is there a specific weight that I want to keep the bike under? And is there a registry anywhere that lists stock bike weights?

2. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Also, are brake integrated shifters a must for a racing bike? Or will normal shifters work just fine?

3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Bike mfrs will usually (not always) state a weight in their catalogs and web sites, but I've found most of those weights to be extremely optimistic to a degree that they aren't even relevant. They are also taken without pedals, bottle cages -- anything that isn't included with the purchase. For example, the Felt F75 I was looking at had a published weight of somewhere around 18.5 lbs in the catalog for a size 56. Threw some 300kg (under a quarter pound) pedals on the thing and weighed it on the shop scale -- 20.8 lbs. Two pounds more than advertised.

Any bike you're curious about in the shop, just ask them to weigh it on their scale. Nearly all serious bike shops have a hanging bike scale in the back. If you're a beginner, weight isn't going to be a huge issue. Shoot for somewhere in the neighborhood of 20lbs if you're on a budget. Keep in mind that if you've got weight to lose on your body, it's the same principle and it's a lot cheaper to lose.

By integrated shifters I assume you mean the sequential units that are mounted by the brake levers as opposed to the downtube mounted shifters. I don't think that any new road bikes are even sold with downtube shifters anymore, but lots of used bikes from 10+ years ago will still have them. Nothing wrong with them, just not as ergonomic, fast, or convenient to use as the new style. I'd probably seek modern shifters on those grounds given your price range.

4. AustinMartin

AustinMartin F1 Veteran

Mar 1, 2008
    Los Angeles/Idaho
    Got it! I have also narrowed down my bike search to either a Fuji Roubaix 2.0/3.0 or a Specialized Allez. Now its a mater of saving and finding where I can test ride them.

5. Vboy19

Vboy19 Karting

Aug 10, 2005
    #130 Vboy19, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Ridden for quite awhile with my favorite bike being an oldschool pre-Trek Klein Performance with the multi-phase paint. Bought it in 1991 and have ridden it ever since. Throw in a Cannondale and a couple Treks and that's about it.

I am looking to buy another frame to build up and want either a vintage (80's) Merckx or Colnago in Molteni (I think that is the word for orange) with black or blue highlights. The frame should be 58 - 60 cm and in excellent to NOS condition. I would buy a complete bike if priced reasonably. I will pay up for the right frame though.

If anyone should know of such a frame being available, I would appreciate it. Nice older frames are getting harder to find. Thanks

7. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #132 Modenafan, Sep 7, 2011
  8. dudegotskills

dudegotskills Karting

Feb 11, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Xander
    #133 dudegotskills, Sep 28, 2011
    Cycling is my 1st passion! 2nd is supercars. This is my current bike. I used to have a 2001 Wilier Alpe d'Huez Ultralite and it was sweet, but I outgrew it. I'm currently racing in Cat 5 and I'm on my school's team, but there are no more road races for this year, so I'm trying to lay down some good base miles.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dudegotskills

dudegotskills Karting

Feb 11, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Xander
    Holy smokes! Are you guys from Miami? I'd love to ride with you guys next time I make it down.

10. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    #135 anotherguy, Oct 16, 2011
  11. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

very nice...finally another tubular guy lol.

btw, those are originally created by paul lew. he did a very nice job on those wheels!
    reynolds was wise to buy the lew practice.

lew had some issues to deal with, otherwise they would still be branded as lew.

pcb

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I did the testing on those wheels when they were intended to be the 2nd gen Lew rims. I still have the prototypes. Very good. BTW, the Edge/Enve guys are the guys who went to Reynolds from Lew in the deal and left to go one step better.

13. dudegotskills

dudegotskills Karting

Feb 11, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Xander
    Oh my gosh I hate you. The Cento Uno SL is my dream bike.

14. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  15. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I haven't ridden it, but based on the white papers that thing is a steal at $3800 for a complete bike. I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to an S2 early next year but I'll definitely test out the S5 when shopping.

16. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I just sold my Sirrus. Loved that bike. I'm such a huge fan of biking and can't wait for something a little more expensive sometime soon. :)

17. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    #142 burner42, Oct 20, 2011
    I love cycling! I have ridden bikes all my life, from BMX to Road Bikes. I live in an area of Dallas that has tons of cyclists. White Rock Lake in East Dallas. I have been cycling as a form of exercise for 15 years. I used to race motocross and always used cycling to stay in shape. I do a few road races a year now but really got into it after I quit MX. From 2003 -2009 I was racing a ton! Now I like to just go pedal for fun. Here are my 2 current bikes, 2010 Cannondale Super Six Hi Mod, custom built Full Dura Ace 7900, Ritchey Super Logic and my Mountain Bike, 2008 Cannondale Scalpel Team Issue. The Time RXR is a bike I rcaed in 2009, it was sweet and trick! had to post a pic of it...

18. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Very pretty and very serious bikes you have there Myles!

19. burner42

burner42 Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Myles
    Thanks. I love them! I sold the Time about a year ago, but still have both my Cannondales.

20. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #145 Modenafan, Nov 23, 2011
    A picture a photographer captured of me a couple of weeks ago at the Rockstore. Got a new bike on order, first new one in 10 years. :)

21. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    #146 1_can_dream, Jan 17, 2012
    When there's a sale for $1000 off it's really hard to pass up. This makes bike #3, trying to lighten the stable by at least one.

22. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Beautiful bike! I just picked up my 3rd this last Saturday. Wow! What a difference in bikes. My C50 was 10 years old and technology sure has changed. :)

23. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Hopefully the S2 will be more than enough bike for me for the next 10 years. But who knows when the bike bug will bite again. Did you pick up another Colnago? or have you branched out to something different?

24. Modenafan

Modenafan F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 19, 2004
    Moorpark
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #149 Modenafan, Jan 17, 2012
    Since I have a C40 & C50 I really thought about a C59. After giving it some thought I ordered a BMC Impec in October. It turns out they're having huge issues with manufacturing and won't be able to ship a frame until at least Spring. So, I ended up ordering a Pinarello Dogma2 with Super Record 11. Most phenomenal bike I've ever ridden and it's also 1.3 pounds lighter than my C50. I couldn't be happier. :) Here's a poor cell phone shot I took this morning.

25. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Love the Pinarello's! The wave patterns in the seat stays and fork are a little funky, but the curves in the frame are great looking. The black on black is pretty slick too.