Any SLS amg owners out there thar can help me? | FerrariChat

Any SLS amg owners out there thar can help me?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by sidj, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sidj

sidj Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    sid jager
    Hey,
    Forum newbie here. Am deciding between a few cars including an sls amg and a 550.

Now, are there any sls owners that can tell me about reliability? The 7 speed dct worries me a tad. Also, I am leaning more towards roadster.

The stunning lack of info on SLS ownership online leaves me no choice but to ask here. let me know mods if this is the appropriate place.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    You can not compare the 2 at all. Completely different and every respect.

However, early SLS had engine problems, along with gearbox issues. Thise were fixed under warranty, and the improved with the next model year. Really not much to worry about with one of these.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. sidj

sidj Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    sid jager
    So which years had the sorted gearbox and motor?

4. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    All I can add is that I drove my roadster for a full year, 10,000 miles.
    Probably the most enjoyable non Ferrari 10,000 miles. easy in, easy out. Doors open alot easier than the Gullwing. More roomier than the AMG GT-R. I have NO negatives about the car. Simple Mechanics, Power, Comfort, Sound = FUN!

5. sidj

sidj Rookie

Feb 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    sid jager
    What year wasnyour roadster? Also, if you dont mind me asking, why did you sell it (Im assuming you did)

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It was the 1st year it came out. I still own it. I love it and now drive it very rarely. It has become part of my collection.
    Certain cars come and go. This one is a keeper.

7. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    #7 F5506M, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    I own both an SLS Coupe and a 575 and in my opinion they are very similar cars. The SLS feels more modern than the 575.

SLS share its transmission with the 458 and California. There were a few gear box issues, but also many more cases of owners that have driven their cars for many trouble free miles. Most owners did the upgrade to the GT software for the transmission and it was under MB Warranty that fixed the programming issues of the non-GT cars.

8. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have an SLS Coupe as well. The transmission is the same as California and 458 with different software. There was a software update by Mercedes to update the non-GT spec cars to GT software.

9. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I wonder if the M159 engine has the same issues as the M156 in the early lesser 63AMGs?