Any T-28 owners? | FerrariChat

Any T-28 owners?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Hannibal308, Feb 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm considering an offer for a 1/3 stake in a T-28. I would fly it one day a week, twice, roughly 45 minutes for each flight, for at least the next 6 months. I'll be commuting from where I live to where I train in rotary...

Can anyone shed light on T-28 ownership. What you love, what you hate, what to look out for, etc. Or just fun stories...

I'm considering it for fun. I know there are vastly more efficient commuter planes.

Envision likes this.
  2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    B model but the owner also has an A that can be bought into as well. I'm just beginning my research...thanks for the thread links!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- You might try Rod Drew at FAI in Costa Mesa. At least his e-mail gives a hint although I have not asked him.

Rod Drew

[email protected]

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Of course, it's a Wright Cyclone...

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Russ Turner here use to have one. Vincent Hill of Black Horse Motorwerks on here has A model currently.

We have a great local ownership club Trojan Phlyers http://www.trojanphlyers.com. I really considered them a few years ago because they had a bunch of aging members and equity stakes dirt cheap. Also got access to several of their knowledgable pilots for training. I had friend my age join and he loved it, was soloing in no time. It was just too far away and I wasn't flying my own plane enough anyway.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've always heard the T-28 is 75% of the fun of a Mustang or higher end warbird, and 25% of the cost.

I know someone who had one-- they had a partial power failure, managed to make it back to the airport, and sold it right after they got it fixed.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nice thing about a radial, sometimes you can lose a cylinder or two and she will still bring you home. Saved a lot of P-47 pilots.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have thought about that many times, Taz. The liquid cooled engines had vulnerabilities in several areas , like holes in the radiator, punctured coolant lines, and holes in the block. The radials were too dumb to know when they were hurt, especially the P&W's.

Protouring442 likes this.
  11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'm discussing a fractional with John Sledge (Phlyers) presently. They seem like a great club. I also PM'd Russ regarding his current take on ownership now that he's 10 years or so beyond the honeymoon.

Thanks to you and the brothers for the leads!

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Looks like Russ is comm out. I'm heading to Dallas on the 17th to look at the T-28 club there. Only downside is the B models require an LOA due to their being over 800hp while A models don't. That makes the requirements a PPL, 500H total time, and 50H complex, with the later being the long pole in my tent...I have zero hours of variable pitch prop time. 3000+ in fighters/turbine, two different ones single engine, but no weird throttle quadrant stuff! ..."push this up til that reads this, adjust this one so this stays here, when you change that one, this will change too, so make it it read that..." It will be fun!

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you can find Russ on Facebook now. he's all about doing improv comedy, singing lessons, and his aerodrome. :)

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    lol for us mortals;) it is usually the other way around.

Hannibal308 likes this.
  15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sounds like he's having great fun...good for him!

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If you don't have a complex and high performance civilian endorsement in your logbook then you need to get that. However, whoever does the checkout in the T-28 should be able to sign that off, assuming they have a CFI. If they don't, you should be able to get one easily enough in a 182RG or something like that.

As for the 50 hours, I looked at the 8900 reference, and it looks like you have to go fly for 50 hours, unfortunately. Maybe they can waive it due to your military experience or something, but there is nothing in there which indicates that's the case. Still, you never know until you ask.

17. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Actually the T-28B/C requires a checkride for the LOA but I can't take the check until I have 50H on the variable pitch prop...if it was an A, all I'd need is a sign off by a CFI. I might do some time in a T-6, take a qual course, then fly it for the hours. Not sure, except I'm not keen to spend money to fly something I don't really want to fly...

18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think we're in agreement... I guess I was just saying whoever does the training for the T-28, whether A or B, can sign you off for the complex endorsement.

But you still have to get the 50 hours somehow, unless you can get a waiver for that-- which is unlikely, but you never know unless you ask.

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I used to see Russ on the The Aerodrome forum when I was posting there. He has fly-ins at his Dayton, OH aerodrome for WW-I aircraft reproductions.

20. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
  21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Class II Medical...done! Should fly Saturday, weather permitting.

22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks, Taz! I'll look him up there...

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    1.0 Hrs front seat! What a fun plane.

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Did you sort out the complex/high performance endorsement issue, or the 50 hour requirement?