Any upside to Daytonas left? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Any upside to Daytonas left?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Texas Forever, Sep 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Terry is a really good guy and does not over price cars.
    I bought my Dino from him and it has been a great car.
    While I am shocked at the price of 275s, it would not suprise me if it sold soon. When I last spoke to him, he said there was not much of a difference between wholesale and retail on these cars as the demand is so high.

Maybe they were cheap for too long.

jts

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Second that. He sold me a great 300SL Roadster that is everything he said it was and the price at the time was absolutely in the middle of the market. He did me a great favor as those cars are now skyrocketing into Gullwing territory and beyond.

3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wow Dave, I just saw it sat!

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice!

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Dave,
    Any word on the final sales price?
    Happy Holidays,
    Scott

6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope.

Kind of a difficult question to ask. I'll see what I can find out. Dropping the Dino off today for year end service.

Dave

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

If the car only needs to be detailed in order to be "concours", then why wouldnt the seller splurge the few hundred bucks to have it detailed and then sell it as a concours car ????

This car looks like a pretty decent buy to me as a "nice driver" but I believe if you wanted to enter it into FCA concours stuff... you would either need to be happy scoring silly low or be prepared to pony up $50K+ for the "detailing" job.

Look at the suspension, underside, door jambs and nooks/cranies in the engine bay. This car is a nice driver. Thats how its priced as well. I do love the color!

Terry

9. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I have just completed a long search for a great Daytona and I have to agree, this car is just a driver, definitely not even within striking distance of "concours." Another key negative factor with this car that is not discussed above is that it is (i) a Euro car, and more importantly, a (ii) plexi nose car. In my experience, these cars always trade at a discount to the pop-up style, to the point that an overwhelming majority of buyers will not even buy such a car, no matter how cheap. Let's face it, if a guy can spend $240K on a car, he car afford to hold out for exactly what he wants and spend $275 instead. My feeling about this market (having just been in it) is that an honest nice car with no stories or imminent deferred maintenance problems is going to run no less than $250K. A show car will run substantially more.

Michael

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    How much of a price variation for Borrani's vs Alloy's vs Both?

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Thats interesting. It seems most folks in the trade say the plexi nosed cars trade at a premium, not a discount. They are certainly more scarce and pure to the design.

When I decided I wanted a Daytona, it was plexi nose or nothing. Styled by the D.O.T. just didnt appeal to me. I find the plexi nose to be FAR superior in looks. Its cleaner, more aggressive looking and its lighter.

It is true however that they screw the functionality of the headlights. I drive around at night with the brights on all the time as the dims are a joke.

Terry

12. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    While it's true the plexi cars are far more rare than the pop-up cars, as anyone who trades in vintage merchandise will tell you, rarity alone does not determine value. As we all know, there are plenty of rare things that will never be worth as much or as easily sold as more "common" things that may be, for a variety of reasons, more appealing to collectors. While the headlight change may have been initiated because of the DOT regulations, the revised Daytona was still pure Ferrari and Pininfarina.

When I started looking for at Daytonas last year, the last "cheap" one in the US was a plexi car that sat, unbought, at $135K for months after the prices had otherwise risen to around $175K. This wasn't some hidden car, either, it was nationally advertised and located at a major dealer's facility.

Michael

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

So, your saying that this car that was unsaleable, even at a far lower price, was perfect in every other way and the ONLY reason anyone would have ever had to not want it was the plexi nose?

I have followed every Daytona advertised over the past 4 years. Which one was this? Which dealer and what time frame?

Eye of the beholder I guess. Like I said, I wouldnt own anything but a plexi nosed Daytona. I love mine. The plexi nose looks much better to me. I dont think I am the only one who thinks so. I believe there are dealers who have posted in this very thread that plexi nosed cars usually command a small premium. The recent Daytona article in Classic Cars magazine had dealers quoted the same.

Terry

14. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    And sold to Europe not America for approx 125K may I add,
    I believe we are speaking about the same car at Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills CA

15. mdw3

mdw3 Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The car was at Heritage Classics in West Hollywood, CA. I believe it sold about a year ago, if I remember correctly. I didn't PPI the car, but I am sure there were things that needed attention, as with any old car. Overall, it looked like a nice enough car, and I did see it in person so I have some idea what it looked like.

I realize there are folks out there who prefer a plexi car and would not consider anything else, but I can tell you there is at least one guy who wouldn't, and I voted with my money.

Michael

16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

So Tom, you agree the plexi nosed cars are unsaleable dogs with far less demand? Or does it depend on whether your buying or selling? ;)

Where do you see the overall Daytona market, currently and over the next year?

Terry

17. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Plexi nose cars are appreciated by Japanese market, european understand them and appreciate them and educated only american collectors, that have experience or are enthusiasts know what they are about.
    Kinda like "L" series dino.

I would venture to say plexinose cars need to be discounted to sell to the American market place. I have never had a first time Daytona buyer START looking for a Plexinose car. That is an aquired taste.

BTW: It is my preference, but what do I know.

18. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Funny you write that... because I am just beginning to consider a daytona (and prob 2 years away from being able to pull the trigger...) and am deciding if I prefer the plexi or "DOT" nose. I'm on the fence. I suspect most US buyers search for a DOT car, because of the feeling, right or wrong, that it is the more desired model.

I don't know which I prefer... but I do like my cars "as enzo intended", which would imply that I should prefer the plexi-nose (as I don't feel it would have been changed except for the gov regs.)

Hopefully, I'll be able to let you know what I decided in a couple years...

19. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    As an un-educated american (in terms of ferrari daytonas) what exactly is there to understand and appreciate that makes the plexi-nosed cars so much different.

Personally, the cars don't appear different enough to even make a difference to me for making a purchase.

20. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #170 targanero, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    swift53 and Edward 96GTS like this.
  21. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    in the dec 06/ jan/07 CAVALLINO. daytona coupe low $200k high $350k...spyder low $675k high $775k expinaton of 'low';"indicates cars in poor condition, or with dubious history, or no competition history,etc" high ; indicates cars in excellent condition, or restored cars, or cars with proven histories, or with competion histories etc. appears to me the arrow is pointing NORTH! and i think they are still under priced for the longer term.

22. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Interesting revisiting these price projections today.

23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    daytonas are a hell of a buy now but many are in less than ideal condition and others fluffed up. buy the best you can.
    and, only real men need apply:p

jgcferrari, turbo-joe and rossodino like this.
  24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There’s a problem with these old bangers. The number of people who can work on them grow fewer every day. While you may think you can work on them, it takes a lot of acquired knowledge to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    So you personally work on modern Ferraris (with your Leorando tablet) and find them easier than the old-school?
    Carburetors and points are more complicated than the ECUs, TFTs, and black boxes in current cars?
    Tinkering with them since the '70s, I've met plenty of young and old gearheads who know how to work on Enzo-era machinery.
    Paraphrasing, I think it was "Rifledriver" who said, "the last running Ferrari will be a 275 or 330...."

Texas Forever likes this.