Any upside to Daytonas left? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Any upside to Daytonas left?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Texas Forever, Sep 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I understand your point. However, I would not want to rebuild a Daytona motor or transmission. The odds of the car turning into a “ran while parked” are high.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Here’s the bigger problem, who is going to replace Brian when arthritis finally catches up with him? We’re all getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The industry as a whole is really facing those issues right now. Last year we lost one of the machine shops many of the top named restoration shops relied upon. During the Covid shut down, I think he was in his 70's just said F" it and retired. Same with my radiator guy and my electrical rebuilding guys. All retired. Sounds like simple people to replace but believe me its not. Not with the odd **** we deal with at the quality level we need. Also same story with a shop that did the hoses for many of us. Sold the company and retired. New people if you cannot look at the chart of hose and fittings and say fitting B and F on hose 12 they wont do it.
    We are finding out the big lie about electronics too. They really do wear out. And many are no longer made.

The industry is aimed at planned obsolescence, we have all known that for a long time but we have traditionally had a large group of people in support industries that were old school in their thinking and training and it was a daily need to think out of the box to fix something because no one was making it. . Those people are retiring and dying off. No one is replacing them. I was at an event 2 years ago with several partners representing 2 of the biggest named resto shops. Both were saying no one wants to pick up where they left off and the same goes for our subcontractors. In short, no one is really replacing us because so few have the desire to do it . There will continue to be hobbiests but subcontractors are important to them too.

Dogdish, turbo-joe, JCR and 4 others like this.
  4. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    This is absolutely the issue on a broad scale.
    Malcolm

readplays and Texas Forever like this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I agree 100% …
    … and hoping to stay healthy enough to continue doing what I do until the end.

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well I bought a piece of property in a rural area and will build a house and shop on it. I'll just work on stuff I want to do as much as I feel like for as long as I feel like doing it.

JimEakin, Ak Jim, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  7. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Build it and they will come...
    Phil Tegtmeier built a shop in the sticks of Pennsylvania and he had patrons all over the East coast.
    One must do what one enjoys in retirement, to stave off rigor mortis.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Phil from Philville.

BigTex and 375+ like this.
  9. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yes it has been quite the 'history lesson' reading back thru this thread. Losing shops & talent to age/attrition while harming, is at least understandable. The Cycle of Life and all.....HOWEVER, what the folks at Canosso just pulled should be considered High Crimes & TREASON, especially (as has been posted) the Dis-inviting of several YOUNGER AGED Judges from this years Cavallino. It is simply a 'bad look' and could send ripples (shockwaves?) in so far as here is one of the pre-eminent Ferrari concours in the world, yet they too seem to be re-shifting their gaze to "The New".

OT...I've purchased Daytona #14029 last year and have been sourcing as much history (thank you MM, JW and others) as I can. Any of you 'out there' that may have a bit of history you could send my way greatly appreciated. Car under the watchful eye of Tim Stanford circa 1976 thru Current.

Best to all & please say hi if attending Cavallino this week. #14029 will be on the lawn both Sat/Sun,
    Jack [email protected]

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Fortunately, all the old timers around here in the 3rd world, forced their trade on their kids
    to provide them with a living. They learned, + they can use a laptop and send photos on a phone.
    Heaven... :)

Regards, Alberto

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Indeed...