Any watch lovers or collectors here ? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Any watch lovers or collectors here ?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by F430-Monza, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. itsarevolution

itsarevolution Karting

Jan 16, 2004
    Westchester / NY
    Full Name:
    Cem O.
    hey, sorry for the delay to join in but here is my two Rolexes. Datejust with off white jubliee dial and jubilee two-tone bracelet, and submariner blue dial, two-tone oyster bracelet. Amazing piece, love them ,maybe submariner a bit more ;-)

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #77 Dom, Oct 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I recently posted a thread on trying to find an inexpensive automatic chronograph watch..

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30466&highlight=hamilton

Well, I found a great one, and it is only about $500. It's the Hamilton Khaki Field Automatic Chronograph. It uses the Valjoux 7750 automatic movement that is also used on many other more expensive watches (IWC, Omega, Panerai). Purchased it about a week ago, and so far I love it. Not very bling-bling, but classic styling. Keeps great time (about +3 seconds/day).

Dom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Actually, a pretty decent watch.

4. MayB1Day

MayB1Day Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #79 MayB1Day, Oct 29, 2004
  5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #80 jimpo1, Oct 29, 2004
  6. topspn

topspn Rookie

Sep 21, 2004
    What do you guys think of an Omega Seamaster Cosmic SS, circa 1972, perfect condition, white face? What would you value it at? Just bought it today and wondering if I got a good deal.

Regards

7. black&tan328

black&tan328 Rookie

May 13, 2004
    $250-$300 retail

8. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Hi Gents,

I collect pocket watches but that collection (currently numbering close to 30 I would guess) is becoming dominated by Omegas.

I also have a passion for Omega wrist watches and chronographs and currently own one of the former and three of the latter (a SeaMaster, a SpeedMaster and a Schumacher).

Another nice piece in my collection is the Nivada Grenchen chronograph...was my late fathers flying watch. Beautiful piece.

Cheers, MARK

9. ferrariKP

ferrariKP F1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2004
    BKK/ LOS
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    What you guys think about Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5065a? Is it overprice to you? IMO it looks so nice but its price is hurt.

10. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I like the Glycine.

11. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Until recently I could never understand the fascination people had for watches. But then I kept reading threads such as these, and started seeing what some of you see in them. I went to a Land Rover Ride and Drive here in Dallas and Maurice Lacroix had a little area showing they're watches. I must admit I was very intrigued. So I grabbed a info book and now I want one.
    Does anyone here have a Maurice Lacroix? Any info. They seem to be well hand made Swiss watches.

www.mauricelacroixusa.com

12. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Fight it Trixx, run away! It's like another addiction.

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Jim - I was in a jewelry store off MacArthur between 114 and 161 called Gold n Carats...I was picking up a ring I had cleaned and didn't have much time to stop and look at the watches, but I saw this watch called an Accutron. It had a carbon fiber face to it and looked really cool, IMO. I wanted to stop and ask about it but just didn't have the time.

I asked around and found out that Accutron is a Bulova brand. So I found a link to the watch I think I saw... If it wasn't the exact model it was very close. http://www.bulova.com/brands/accutron/product.aspx?id=506&coll_id=3&origin=collection

Whats the story on Accutron? I know that it is an old brand name that Bulova re-used... Is this watch worth $750? (I know the owner of the jewelry store, I can prob get it cheaper)

What do you think about this watch versus a higher end citizen? I'm really into the nighthawk http://www.citizenwatch.com/collections/images/watches/Nighthawk/bj7000_52e.jpg
    or the skyhawk http://www.citizenwatch.com/collections/images/watches/Skyhawk/jr3060_59f.jpg

14. MayB1Day

MayB1Day Karting
    BANNED

Oct 25, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I for one am a big believer that if you are going to spend a reasonable amount of dough on a watch, youre probably best served getting an automatic self winding.

My rational is that youre not paying for something to tell you the time. There are clocks on every wall and a Timex that will be very accurate is $20. In reality, those inexpensive jobbies will more more accurate even.

When I pay for a watch, I prefer to pay for the workmanship. The craft. The detail. The company's history. To me, knowing that, as long as the watch keeps moving it will continue to tick forever and ever and ever, is cool. Knowing that there are all of those little gears in there, which were all placed by the hand of a watchmaker, makes my watch more enjoyable (if you can believe it!).

Just my opinion.

15. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Well said! My sentiments exactly. :)

16. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I wouldn't pay $100 for an Accutron, but that's just me. If you're going to spend over $500, you're in low end Swiss watch territory, and can probably get an automatic. You can buy lots of cool looking watches in the $100 range, and almost get as many as you want. For something in the $750 range, look Swiss.

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah, I think I'd rather have 3 $250 watches than one $750, now that I think about it. :)

18. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Here are mine,

Tag Heuer Link series 1
    Girard Perregaux

Next one will be the Chopard MM

Wade

19. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    #94 Brandi, Nov 11, 2004
    I'm a big watch lover...

Here's my 3 steel babies (sorry stock pics)

Rolex Daytona
    Patek Philippe Nautilus
    Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono

20. Inert

Inert Karting

Nov 8, 2004
    BHM,Castro Valley
    Full Name:
    Inert
    Rolex Daytona Chronograph, steel and gold, champagne face, diamond numerals. Panerai Submersible with rubber band, for everyday use. I too have a serious watch fetish. Franck Muller and Patek Phillipe make some nice stuff as well.

21. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I love watches too... I currently have a Panerai Luminor Marina, a '68 Rolex GMT, a '04 Green 50th Anniversary Rolex Sub, a '04 SS White Dial Rolex Daytona, and I just bought a new Rolex White Gold Daytona with a Meteorite Dial and Roman Numerals ... the pinnacle Rolex in my eyes and I have been waiting a LONG time to get it! I will post pics when I get a chance.

22. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've been a watch junkie for a long time but haven't had the means to indulge the way I really want to. I wear a nice sapphire Movado most days, have a couple of good-looking but inexpensive chronographs for variety.

I just inheirited my grandfather's watch and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I'll take a picture when I'm back in town, but this is the closest I've been able to find:

http://www.moonwatchtimepieces.com/Site/watch_detail.asp?watch_id=263

The face is identical except that it is gray instead of black. I don't think it's sun-faded, looks original to me. The crystal is slightly scratched (he wore it every single day that I remember) but it is otherwise excellent and runs well. Does anyone have any information about it? I will never sell it but I would like to know more. He spent WW2 in Europe and was in virtually every western european country.

I plan on having it serviced and cleaned and will probably wear it as often as possible.

Mark

23. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I don't know how to post a pic or get a pic from Vuitton site, but just got American Cup Chrono w/ Damier belt. I really like this watch, even though it is not by a watch brand. Their face changes color to blue or brown depending on lighting. Does anyone like their line of watches?

24. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    Just watched the newest Top Gear and Clarkson was wearing a $150k ish watch from Bugatti for the new Veryon. Very interesting watch. Hard to explain but you can see the face without having to take your hands off the steering wheel.

And no one has any comments on the Maurice Lacroix watches??? Don't know if that makes me want one more or less?

25. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    #100 Rod, Nov 16, 2004
    Why is it that us guys are addicted to Watches like woman are to shoe's?

Boss... stunning watch..
    Rolex O/P Date/Time in gold with Pres strap...
    Ferrari........ (genuine Girard-Perregaux)
    Storm.... inexpensive modern design's