Any watch lovers or collectors here ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Any watch lovers or collectors here ?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by F430-Monza, Oct 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm a watch addict.

www.timezone.com is a great place to learn more.

Here's my favorite watch, at least out of the ones I actually own. It's a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Geographic. Of course it's mechnical, automatically wound. The subdial at 6 o'clock is a secondary clock that changes with the time zone displayed below that. To change time zones, one turns the knob at the 10 o'clock position, and you can cycle through the major cities in each time zone around the world. To the upper right is the date, and to the upper left is a power reserve indicator. The back of the case has a sapphire display so that you can see the beautifully detailed movement.

Wonderfully finished, and delightfully complicated.

--Matt

2. topspn

topspn Rookie

Sep 21, 2004
    Love that watch. Anyone know anything about the new GP Evo 3?

Regards

3. khunnammon

khunnammon Rookie

Jul 13, 2004
    Hi,
    I am thinking about getting the Patex Philippe Nautilus (the same as yours) If I not wrong it is Patex Philippe Nautilus 3710/1A right? As you currently own it, Do you have any ideas what would be a reasonable price to pay for it coz I have been searching it from many websites and the price are quite different... varies from US13,000-US9,000
    Thanks in Advance

4. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Yeah, you're right the reference is 3710 1A...

Prices may vary, but consider that usually this watch retails at its full list price (about 11700 euro and something more in U.S. dollars)

The watch is very rare, they made approx. 100/150 pieces per year and it's one of the only two watches that Patek makes in stainless steel (the other one is the Aquanaut), so it's quite sought after... I've paid the list price and, imo, if you can get it brand new with a little discount, i'd say go for it... it's really cool :)

5. offroadr35

offroadr35 Rookie

Dec 30, 2003
  6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #106 FarmerDave, Nov 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've got a watch, given to me by a friend, whose dad bought it while an in moscow probably 8-10 years ago. I can't imagine he spent more than $10-20, cause he brought back a few of them for his son. It's a pretty unique watch, and has a small amount of sentimental value.

It's an automatic (the only automatic I've ever owned) but it doesn't work right - even if I twirl it for a few minutes to give it a fair wind and then wear it all day, it will just stop after 10 or 20 minutes, until I give it a tap, and it will go again for 30 seconds.

I took it into a small watch and clock repair store near my office, and the owner speaks very little english. He opened and examined it, and after a struggle to understand what he was saying, it came across to me that he would charge me $45 to clean and oil the watch.

So, does anyone have any experience with this type of watch? Could it really be as simple as cleaning and oiling, or would I just be throwing the cash away?

These are photos of a nearly identical watch selling on ebay currently forabout 50 bucks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I believe that the original oil used in those Soviet automatics was of pretty questionable quality. I think that if you had it cleaned, oiled and adjusted, you could probably use it for years. Even if your sentimental attachment to it is slight, it's probably worth it.

By the way, if you plan on using it under water (which could also have had an effect on its ability to function) that watch repairman might be able to pressure-check the watch, or at least replace the various o-rings that keep it waterproof.

8. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thanks for the advice - I will have the guy clean and oil it. I'll give an update when I get it back.

9. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    This is incredible. It must be my close to heart thread as I have never learned before that there are topics on watches in this website.
    I am a watch fanatic and been collecting for more than 10 years now.
    I have 7 Patek Philippe watches ranging from 3970 perpetual calender chronograph to S/S Aquanaut. All 6 S/S Rolex Daytonas: White dial Paul Newman to the recent 116520 white dial. I also own a few more Rolexes, Panerai, APs, Breitling, Alain Silberstein!!
    Would love to chat with any watch lovers like myself.
    It is good to share the passion of Ferraris with watches.

10. callaides

callaides Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    #110 callaides, Nov 30, 2004
  11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ah, now I'm getting tempted...I should post some pics of my collection.

One of my most prized posessions is a Cosmonaut watch, limited edition to commemorate the MIR space station.

Also got another Russian watch, actually a Ferrari watch, which was given to the best customers when the Moscow Ferrari dealership opened.

12. Brandi

Brandi Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Milano, Italy
    Dave, your sig is cool but in italian it's "Mi dispiace" without the h... :)

13. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Brandi, thanks for the advice. I thought I had it pretty close. :)

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Here are some of my favourites from my own collection:

A Russian mechanical watch handed out by Moscow's Ferrari dealership when they opened for business (allegedly).

A Cartier Ferrari watch that dates to 308 series.

A Russian mechanical cosmonaut watch commemorating MIR.

The electronic Omega watch currently used by US astronauts.

The automatic Omega used by US astronauts in the sixties.

15. F430-Monza

F430-Monza Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2004
    I have only 3 units of this highly sought after Mauboussin Fouga chronograph watch and wonder if any watch lovers here are keen in buying ?

Brand new, unworn and comes with all box and papers.

Retail price is approx US$ 3,750.00

My price is only US$ 1,950.00 and delivered to your door step by Fed Ex courier ( included in asking price ) !!!

Almost 50% off retail...this will be a great X'mas gift for yourself or love one in 2004 !!!

Interested buyers please PM me with your email and I will send scans.

16. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Just got myself an early-70's Omega Speedmaster 2 weeks ago! Always wanted the Moon Watch - another dream to tick off the list! :D

Cheers, MARK

17. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    #117 LetsJet, Dec 17, 2004
    Congrats......... It's a nice watch. I've owned mine for 20 years.

Here is one I bought back in Oct. that I just (finally) got Tuesday!

Limited Edition Breitling Navitimer Olympus in 18k gold

18. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Not a collector, I just like Rolex watches.

My first was the generic s/s gold date-just- I got for graduating med school. This watch is retired.

s/s daytona- my hunting watch and outdoor watch.

President day-date - my everyday watch.

Gold daytona- my Ferrari and special occasion watch.

19. NOCAR

NOCAR Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    My Tudor Oysterdate Chrono was such a good deal it still had a wrist attached...cleaned up nicely though.

20. 993 guy

993 guy F1 Rookie

May 21, 2004
    Bergen County NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric D
    #120 993 guy, Dec 17, 2004
    I'm selling my less than 2 month old Vacheron Constantin Royal Eagle Chronograph (silvered face) on Bracelet. I recently bought this piece, and I just got the opportunity to acquire another piece that I have been looking for. In order to do so I sadly have to sell my VC in order to soften the blow.

The watch is LNIB and absolutely perfect in all respects. All boxes/papers included with complete set of bracelet links. The Royal Eagle retails for $14k.

I'm pricing the piece for a quick sale at $7100 including fully insured expedited shipping. This an incredible deal on this piece (it's really brand new), and I'd be happy to see it go to a fellow Fchat member to wear and enjoy. If you're interested, please let me know ASAP...

Thanks.

21. stevegtsi

stevegtsi Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    i love the girard perregaux ferraris and have a nice group for sale and in my collection. i think they are a great watch and underpriced in the marketplace. every bit as fine a watch as rolex

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I went to college with a brilliant guy named Tom Gref who got a BS in Mechanical Engineering and then got interested in watches. He became a certified master watchmaker (very difficult to do, as many of you know) and opened a successful business repairing high-end mechanical watches. He now has his own line of medium priced watches with very high end "guts", called Thomas Gref. They are hand made in very small quantities. Anyone heard of him? Here's his website:

http://www.thomasgref.com/

I'm currently wearing his "Oceanic" model dive watch. Bulletproof!

Birdman

23. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Very pretty watches. They seem to be reasonably priced, too.

BTW, has anyone heard of Stauer watches, available by mail order? Self-winding, multi dials. Really Cheap.

24. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    My first passion was watch collecting as a undergraduate (cars were to expensive and had no room to store them). When I started earning a living I collected Rolex sport models, then Pateks, ...

I recently sold my Rolex Daytona (Stainless Steel Daytona 6263 - Black Dial, Stainless Steel Zenith Daytona - Black Dial, Stainless Steel Rolex Movement Daytona - Black Dial) and Submariner (Stainless Steel Regular and 50th Annivesary Green) collection to purchase my F355 Spider. I really miss my collection, but don't even remember them when in the F-car.

Besides, now I can start looking to replace, the watches (It never ends)!

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Yes, they are really cheap. They're essentially a watch that they slapped a label on and started selling through magazines. You could buy a much better watch for the same money.

I have heard of Thomas Gref, interesting that you know him! Do you get good deals? ;)