any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

any1 recently try a different stereo in their FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by ttforcefed, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr bond

mr bond Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    anyone know how much the 2-din entertainment system is?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  3. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    How much better is the tonal quality of the Audison speakers and amp upgrade? I too have considered upgrading the speakers.

Jose

4. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

Much better than stock - just make sure you use a high quality place

5. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Have you changed the head unit? Did you consider "focal" ?

Jose

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    nope I left the oem head unit. I didn't really put much time or thought into the equipment. I'm not a big audio guy so I just let the installer pick.

7. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Did you just replace the speakers with Audision 3 way? All speakers or just the fronts? Stock amps and sub?

Perhaps you can list the full spec you had done? Also did you have the High Power Hifi option to start with? Thanks

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I really don't know to be honest. I said I want to try for better sound and I let the guy do his thing.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no I had the regular oem system

10. 996TTurbo

996TTurbo Formula 3

Apr 9, 2006
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I have to look on my car sticker
    Was there a premium sound option?

My ff surround sound /speakers sound pretty amazing to me cranked up with a 320k sound file of electronic music or whatever it may be

My unit also streams Bluetooth from my phone and I can play any app through it

It's the factory head unit I'm not sure why everyone has such issues ? I'm not a pure audiophile but do appreciate quality and know how to really set up a system in terms of settings

It sounds better than the high end NAIM in my Bentley supersports , better Han Harmon Kardon I had in m5, yea the unit isn't the nicest but I guess I'm lucky as I have no issues and don't mind it lol

11. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    I too am cosidering replacing the speakers and add a good amp. There is much to be gained by using a quality head unit as well..

Jose

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    spoke to the best in class audio guy here and he said he wld do dynaudio with JL audio and leave the oem head unit

13. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    I too am cosidering replacing the speakers and add a good amp. There is much to be gained by using a quality head unit as well..

Jose

14. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Sorry about double posting, dont know how i did that.

Dynaudio is good gear, ive read good reviews on audison gear as well. The stock gear does little for me. I need to make a change.

Jose

15. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    This ^^

Kills me how people talk about resale or appreciation on a car I'm down $200K on.. who cares about scratches, repainting, replacing a stereo or anything else.. it's the most expensive car from a depreciation stand point than any car I've ever owned. I could have bought a condo on a beach somewhere just with the depreciation over the last 1.5 years on this car.

As always, I freaking love this car and not complaining.. just stating facts.

16. 22 yards

22 yards Rookie

May 2, 2016
    Basel, Switzerland
    Replacing the "stereo" on an FF is about much more than the music. This is an infotainment system -- music, other media, navigation, telephone, etc. -- so there's much more at stake than just improving the music. I don't have a big problem with the stock unit (except that it's straight out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I feel that Ferrari should have made a bit more of an effort), but I'm keen to see if there's something more modern (e.g. all or almost all touchscreen-based, with no or very few physical buttons) available after-market to replace the stock unit.

I understand that there are several units offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto; can anyone recommend a unit that fits exactly into the existing space in an FF, and integrates completely with existing hardware (so that the steering wheel buttons work, for example, and track names continue to appear in the right places on the dashboard display)? I've heard the names Clarion (Ferrari-approved?), Pioneer and Alpine mentioned -- are any of these any good at covering the full range of infotainment features? (I don't have rear-seat infotainment, by the way.)

Many thanks!

17. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    This may be the reason "ttforcefed" retained the original head unit and upgraded the other components, thus increasing the tonal qualities. I wonder how much better (tone qualities) the Ferrari approved "Clarion" head unit is than the standard one??

Jose

18. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    This may be the reason "ttforcefed" retained the original head unit and upgraded the other components, thus increasing the tonal qualities. I wonder how much better (tone qualities) the Ferrari approved "Clarion" head unit is than the standard one??

Jose

19. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    I found the head unit in my FF was really convenient . What I mean by convenient was anytime I went to an airport and rented a Chrysler I would not need to waste time learning how to use the audio system as it was the same one as in my FF. It is one of the few things I hated about my FF was that crapy head unit, scrap that thing replace with a head unit that seems like it was made in the past 20 years

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    lol - I don't know but the FF headunit doesn't bother me - its easy to use and seems to do everything its supposed to do.

my buddy has a tesla and the other night he was holding his iPhone in his hand using waze - that I thought was hysterical

aside from quality of sound improvement, why wld you change the head unit?

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the question to ask is how valuable the integration to the other screens is to you. I like having it all work together so I would vote to keep the stock unit and use some kind of interface like Bit One but there are others to allow you to use different amps and speakers. You can get surprisingly good results this way and keep the OEM look and functionality.

22. 22 yards

22 yards Rookie

May 2, 2016
    Basel, Switzerland
    That's half the problem -- as others have said, the OEM look is pretty awful. The functionality is actually OK but could be improved, for example with the addition of Apple CarPlay and the ability to display apps like Waze on the central screen. If I could find a good unit that does everything, I'd happily swap the OEM unit out. Currently Pioneer looks good for the task; can anyone give experience-based feedback?

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The problem I have had with every after market head unit is they have always looked "cheesy" and "chintzy" to my eyes. Agree the OEM unit is really not the pinnacle of NAV and other functions but it works with all the screens and systems in the car. So my vote is as above. But if you want after market head units have a look at Alpine and then maybe Pioneer.

24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    losing steering wheel control with an aftermarket head unit for example wld be a deal breaker for me - id go nuts

I wld imagine that wld be lost with an aftermarket head unit

25. jose2077

jose2077 Rookie

Feb 12, 2016
    Does anyone here use the Ferrari approved "Clarion" head unit? Like you, i am not fond of the stock unit, however, if it dosent fully integrate, then i too will pass on the upgrade. Certanly, a good amp with better speakers, would make for better sound.

Jose