Anybody actually put on Front License Plate? | FerrariChat

Anybody actually put on Front License Plate?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spiderguy, Jul 21, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    Has anyone actually used the Front License Plate on their Exotic? I think that there should definitely be a special exemption for Ferraris. :) I know they tag in California for missing front plates & I've been cited a few times in my Porsche. Anyone get nailed in a Ferrari?

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#2 SrfCity, Jul 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Spiderguy

Spiderguy Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Full Name:
    Harry J
    That's interesting. I wonder what material they're using for that license plate and how they're affixing it to the car.

4. -AC

-AC Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 4, 2004
    Colorado
    I know of one 360 spider that the guy drilled on the front bumper to put the plate on.

5. roach

roach Rookie

Nov 13, 2003
    Los Altos
    I saw a guy who has a black 911TT that just has it velcro'd to his front bumper and takes it on or off as needed. I guess it looks better on a black car as you can't see it as well and yes, there's some adhesive involved but it sure beats drilling your bumper. Just an idea.

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

I would suspect they had a reduced, decal replica made.

7. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    When I went to my first function with my Dino I was looking back at the line of cars and much to my dismay, mine was the ONLY one with a front plate. I thought OMG! my kingdome for a screwdriver!!! As soon as I got home off it came. So far so good! (knock on wood!) By the way that 599 looks awsome!!!

Cheers!

DT

8. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Yes, I do. After receiving a few $60 tickets in the People's Republic of Palo Alto, CA for not having a front license plate on my car, all my Ferraris now have them. I've never received a ticket from the CHP, or any other town in California for that matter, only Palo Alto.

Steve

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
  10. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Finally....a decent pic of a 599....I love it!

I just got a moving violation for not having one on the front of my 328 the other week. Did NOT make my day.

Still, I went 10 years w/o a front plate between that and my last car, so I'll take those odds.

11. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I got a parking ticket (expired meter) in the 328 a few weeks back. Also included was a WARNING for no front plate. I think the guy was being nice and/or he felt bad (yeah, you SHOULD feel bad about giving a 328 a parking ticket! hehe)

No front plate for me. I carry it under the passenger floor mat.

--Mike

12. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Actually...if you look in the Showroom at the 308 and 328 threads there are almost no cars with front plates. Talk about solidarity! :)

13. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #13 spiderseeker, Jul 21, 2006
    I installed my front plate with a couple of tie wraps just so the cops have no excuse for pulling me over or giving me a ticket. I wasn't stopped in the first few months without it but I did get some "double takes" from the police, so I decided to put it on. I even had a motorcycle cop do a "U turn" and come up from behind me once, maybe just to look at the car, I don't know.
    It really isn't that noticeable and quickly removed for events.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    The weekly Sunday car meet on LI (OBI) generally has about 300 cars show up by 9AM. 3/4 of the cars have no front plates. Normally the police leave the drivers alone. Where you would most likely get a ticket for a missing front plate is at toll booths, i.e. bridge or tunnels. There you are a captured audience as you come through the toll. Most of the guys say running without a front plate is part of the cost of driving their car. I have put my front plate on my dashboard above the speedo. So far no tickets.

15. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I don't run one on my Corvette, and I haven't (since Feb when I bought the car) run one on the GT4. Many miles on both since then, and no issues yet. I've even been pulled over by CHP in the 'Vette without them making mention of it. I'm considering putting the front plate on teh GT4, though, only because I don't need the undue attention (especially since I have no cats installed currently)...

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No front plate on my 328 - there's just no way to attach it that's legal (height from the road) and doesn't block the radiator/fans. I keep the front plate in the trunk and just hope if I ever get pulled over the officer will be lenient.

I got a $10 fixer ticket on my SLK a few years back. That $60 ticket in Palo Alto is ridiculous.

If I had a 360, I might attach one - that car has a neat place for it.

17. Rachane

Rachane Formula 3

Sep 5, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Rachane
    San Francisco aggressively tickets NFP-cars for the simple reason that this city has many red-light-running camera intersections, with huge fines, and City Hall loves money.

And since it's a State requirement, I simply didn't want to have to worry about CHP, local police, whatever.

Took the car to my trusty bodyshop, where they found/modified a front bracket that would mount to the black spoiler and extend the plate at its angle up behind the front painted bumper. Bottom of the plate is right at the bottom of the spoiler, so no reduced ground clearance. Perfectly visible from the front of the car, and doesn't hurt the lines of the front bumper assembly.

I've had front plates on my previous Ferraris (348, TR, Mondial-t) without heartburn. The only models which I think would really resent it would be the F40 and the Enzo.

18. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Been driving sports cars for 38 years and have never mounted a front tag on any of them; State requirement or not.
    Been stopped once for a warning.

19. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Can't we as a group (maybe with PeterS help) come up with a retractable one? Some mechanism that makes the plate visible when driving or when you're being watched, but flips out of way when you park?

It can't be that hard. :(

20. Ferrari330P4

Ferrari330P4 Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2005
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Karl
    i dont even put them on my mustang so i know id never put them on a ferrari if i had one.

21. Matt308

Matt308 Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2004
    CO
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Been warned twice (once in my Austin-Healey, once in the 308), but no ticket yet - knock wood! I guess I'll have to get a fine before I do anything about it. -m

22. decampos

decampos Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 11, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I removed the front plate as it was obstructing fresh air getting to the radiator. It runs a lot cooler now. I keep it in the car in case I need to convince a copper 'it just fell off'.

23. roccapalumbo

roccapalumbo Karting

Mar 16, 2004
    ohio
    Full Name:
    robert
    I keep it on the passenger side sun visor so I can flip it down when necessary.

24. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    #24 F SPIDER, Jul 23, 2006
    The 360 is actually designed to have a front plate and in my opinion looks better with it.

Now, why they ignore this on the 599 I don't know. Especially in Europe, where you cannot drive around without a frontplate. My brother in the Netherlands had a small version made for his car and still got a ticket. Only Italy has a tiny front plate.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  25. Bird Man

Bird Man Karting

Jul 11, 2004
    N.cal./bay area
    I have been flagged before by CHP for speed. However, he decided not to cite me for the speed but inflict the lesser of the two: Front PLates. I tossed and turned on how to handle this without creating a front bumper sieve. Finally used scotch double stick tape at the moment I was pulling into the police station. Secured just the plate. No frame. The woman officer actually came out to inspect the front plate. She asked how I secured the plate without screws. I told her I used epoxy and not to disturb it since it was still curing!!! 'nuff said, sign off and on my way. Once out of site I remove the plate,end of tale of woe.

Drill holes and commit a sacrilege???

Never!!!!