Anybody Ever Install K&N Air Filters? | FerrariChat

Anybody Ever Install K&N Air Filters?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    If so, what we're the results? Good, bad, I different. Any noticeable quicker throttle response, increased noise level, sest of the pants dyno estimates?

Thanks in advance. Also, the mobile version of this new forum tool does not give the option to declare 360, 430, or both, however I have a 430.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Many here have run them and there are MANY threads on that subject so get prepared for the onslaught of 'its good or its bad'.

No significant difference in power. You can hear the sucking sound from the intake, that is the biggest sound change.

3. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    whatever you do, do not put too much oil on the filters after cleaning. It will create issues with the MAF sensors.

4. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I've used K&N filters for many cars throughout my life and have never used the oil. I've always just cleaned them.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I believe the oil is needed as part of the filtering process. At least when I played in the desert.

Lots of controversy on those filters.

6. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #6 ferralc, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    I have BMC, I dont notice a difference but the intake noise and don’t need to change the paper filter every year (just need to “regenerate” every 15,000kms)

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    No point to them as the OEM filter is size matched to the max engine power and filters out the smallest dirt. Filters which allow more air flow do so by having bigger holes in the filter material, so why would you allow bigger dirt to enter the engine.

8. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I have the BMC filters. Dyno results with headers, flash and BMC filters yielded approximately 5whp more than the avg dyno tests stated on this forum. (Red=no flash) These results were based on the same day the flash was loaded so learning curve was still in its infancy. Take with a grain of salt as my F430 only has 8K... YRMV. I did notice a beautiful air induction sound.

Attached Files:

9. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Please refer to this posting we made in another thread earlier this year discussing this exact topic. I hope you find the information is useful.

10. MotoMeccanica

MotoMeccanica Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    Calgary Alberta
    Just my 2 cents. When I worked at our Porsche dealer, we had many MAF sensors fail as people improperly oiled them. I now work for our Ferrari dealer, and I even had a set given to me for my 456, I won't use them.....as I like to just stick to OEM mostly. Properly oiled, should be fine, I just didn't care to take a chance.when the positives are not high enough.
    Scott

11. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    From K&N's website:

Engine Protection, Filtration:
    Anyone can flow more air. The trick is to flow more air safely. In our opinion we hit the sweet spot - an optimal blend of high air flow, filtration efficiency, durability and dust capacity. We take filtration seriously. K&N Automotive Air Filter media has been tested both in-house and by independent labs using the ISO5011 test developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers. In addition we test many of our filters both in and out of the OE airbox ensuring proper fit and function. Our goal is to design filters with the maximum possible airflow achievable while providing guaranteed engine protection.

Engine Protection Limited Warranty:
    Unlike many companies, our warranty for O/E replacement air filters and intake systems does extend beyond the replacement of a defective K&N part. For the original purchaser of the product, our warranty covers any engine damage or related costs incurred as a direct result of the use of a properly installed and maintained K&N O/E automotive replacement air filter or intake system on the specific vehicle for which the product was designed to be used by K&N. This includes reasonable vehicle repair costs directly related to an engine problem caused by the failure of a K&N product. Furthermore, we warrant that using our product will not result in a vehicle warranty denial. K&N will not be responsible for any indirect, consequential, special, contingent, or other damages not listed above.

We will promptly reimburse the consumer for the cost of the repair if a service provider denies warranty coverage as a result of a K&N product or claims that a K&N product has caused harm to your engine or vehicle. In order to receive reimbursement, we require each of the following:
    1. The consumer must provide a written statement or repair order from the dealership or service provider in which the dealership or service provider blames the problem or warranty denial on a K&N product.
    2. The service provider or consumer must provide K&N with all allegedly damaged parts. Many states have laws that require a service provider to retain all parts replaced during a vehicle repair, unless given consent to dispose of the parts by the consumer. K&N will pay the shipping cost to recover these parts.
    3. The consumer must provide proof of purchase of the K&N product along with cooperation in helping us investigate the claim.
    Once these steps have been completed, K&N will contact the service provider and collect evidence to support their claim. In the event we are not provided with sufficient evidence, we reserve the right to reject the claim and will use our best efforts to assist in establishing your rights toward the service provider under warranty or other provisions.

Sounds like a lot of hassle, but in the end, it seems like an engine repair would be covered. Given this, one should feel confident, no? I just don't even like the looks of the OEM filters... they are so densely pleated you can't even see light through a brand new one.

12. TAILWAG

TAILWAG Karting

Apr 8, 2007
    OP/Olathe
    Full Name:
    Angel
    I have had them in many cars before...never had an issue. It does make for cool sounds...and YES, you have to oil them, that is if you want properly filtration. The oil helps catch the dust/dirt particles. The trick is to know how well and how much oil to apply. Too little, filtration may not be the best. Too much and you will have all sorts of MAF headaches. Is it worth it? You decide.

13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have used K&N for years in many different vehicles with out any issues what so ever. Just make sure you don't over do the oil. Never had a MAF get messed up after all these years. Still think that's a little misleading as I know lots of people that use them and never heard of a MAF failure from any of them.

14. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    The required oiling for a K&N filter is a catch-22, because in order for it to filter optimally, it needs the oil, which catches and holds dirt, requiring it to be cleaned and re-oiled more often. That said, they do work. However, I am wondering if there is a more OEM-like option available, that is a throw-away/replaceable paper element, but doesn't contain so many pleats that it becomes restrictive (like the OEM filters).

15. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    No, they only exist to more easily allow $$ to be sucked from your wallet IMO.
    Marketing hype only.

Use paper pleated elements.

16. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Negative. They've been dyno proven, and I personally verified this with my Spec Miata, where a K&N filter accounted for a consistent 2hp gain at the wheels. In Spec Miata terms, at least in those days, that was essentially a 2% gain. On an F430, given a similar gain, that would bump the crank rating to over 500.