Anybody fly R/C helicopters? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anybody fly R/C helicopters?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Scotty, Jan 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. geffen365gtc/4

geffen365gtc/4 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    I've been into electric helis for about 2 years now.....started wiht a Blade CX, then a CP, then a CP Pro, now i've got the Blade 400. The Blade 400 is the way to go right after the CX. Why you may ask....it's bigger, and bigger ALWAYS flys better. Also it's got a radio that provides " expo " on the controls. The tendancy for a beginner is to over control the bird....over correcting with the sticks just turns it into a very dangerous pendulum. The expo feature takes away a lot of that effect. Another advantage is that because of their popularity, most local hobby shops stock their parts....that means no waiting for the UPS man to bring you parts after you crash....and you WILL crash. If you want to get good at flying a heli, you must fly at least once a day.

Geffen

2. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That right there is the biggest difference, and a lot of what makes planes easier to fly (for me at least). A plane is naturally stable and will "fly itself" to some degree. If you let go of the sticks, it will generally continue on its present course. Helicopters, even my little Blade mCX, require constant input and you have to stay on top of them. You have to learn to be SO very gentle when reducing power or collective, or down ya' go!

3. BAturb

BAturb Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Allan
    I have been flying for a few years now, I have a Hirobo shuttle 30, 2 Kyosho concept 60's, a walkera 36 electric, and a mini honey bee for indoors flight, this is a great hobby but can get very addictive

4. avalys

avalys Karting

May 26, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Alex Valys
    I bought a T-Rex 450 about a year ago. It cost around $600 for the helicopter, plus $600 for the various necessary accessories (radio, batteries, charger, etc.)

http://avalys.net/flyingLawnmower.jpg

Electric is definitely the only way to go. They are already more powerful than gas, and power and endurance will only increase as battery technology improves. I have three batteries, which gives me about twenty minutes of flight time, and that's about as long as I can last in a session anyway without turning into a nervous wreck.

If you are serious about it, it also helps to get a simulator for your computer so you can practice flying in different relative orientations without paying $100 in parts every time you screw up.