Anybody going to the SpaceX Heavy Launch on Wednesday? | FerrariChat

Anybody going to the SpaceX Heavy Launch on Wednesday?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by BoulderFCar, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've never been to a launch. I popped for the "Feel the Heat" package. Fingers crossed that it launches. Should be fun.

Manda racing likes this.
  2. bmxracer50

bmxracer50 Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2009
    Orlando
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Enjoy! Launches are amazingly. I haven’t seen a launch up close since the shuttle.
    I’m not planning on going to this one, but as soon as the tickets are available for the manned mission, I’m buying. It’s something I’d really like to do with my Dad. Hopefully they don’t sell out too fast.

3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  4. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    That is one cool pic

5. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was there for the launch last night. Fantastic! The boosters coming back with 4 sonic booms is as remarkable as the launch. Very cool.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  6. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    As was I, very cool!!!!

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Here's a close up video of the boosters landing from that 2018 launch. I don't see a better one yet for the recent launch.

8. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Do you know why they give off four sonic booms?

9. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Also does anyone hade pics of third rocket landing on drone ship, i only saw pics of it "already landed".

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    A boom is made on each end of whatever object is going through the sound barrier. The space shuttle always made two audible booms when landing, one for the nose and one for the tail. So the two SpaceX rockets would make four total. The object has to be long enough to have an audible difference in the two. If it is a short object, they will be so close it sounds like one boom.

I haven't heard either Falcon landing boom, but growing up in Orlando I heard the shuttle booms somewhat often (only when they landed in FL coming from the north and not from the south). It was very very loud...especially at 5AM one time and I thought something very heavy fell on the roof. I turned on the TV local news and realized what it was. :) The bigger the object, the bigger the boom.

phil the brit likes this.
  11. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm surprised how much going to the launch changed my opinion of the whole space shebang. I largely thought the space program was welfare for geeks and that Elon was a bit of a blunt smoking whack job. Now I'm fascinated with the technology and the economics.