anybody got a TR transmission for sale? | FerrariChat

anybody got a TR transmission for sale?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by a4kquattro, Nov 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    Looking to buy a used Testarossa transmission and transfer case for a customer car.

Let me know what you've got and a price. We're located in 03861.

Thanks.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    would be good if you could introduce yourself a little and fill out your profile
    thanks
    I have here several TR gearboxes

3. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    Sorry about that. I filled out my profile. My name's Marc Swanson, I run EFI Express in Lee, NH: EFI Express : Home

We do project builds and tuning, mostly on audi/vw/porsche stuff but we have a customer with a 91 twin turbo Testarossa we've been doing a bunch of work on.

Its got a bad 2nd gear and a noisy transfer case (long story) so we are weighing our rebuild vs used replacement options with the customer.

some pics here of the project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Greetings Marc. As Turbo Joes name suggests, he is a wealth of information. T Rutlands, Ebay or various breakers would be your best bet. But it sounds like a tear down is in order to find the transfer case issue. Im sure you are aware of the differential issues that some TR's can manifest. A used transmission might have other issues. I would tear down then evaluate.

I see that your customers car has 512TR intakes. Please tell us more on the build. I remember a black twin turbo TR that sold for a song about a year ago to a member here.....Norwood build IIRC.

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Aloha Marc. As stated Romano is extremely knowledgeable about TR gearboxes. He helped me to completely tear mine down and reassemble. It's perfect now.

Based on your description, I would suggest repair. It will cost a lot less than buying a rebuilt and if you buy used, you're just getting someone elses problem. Er, unless you buy it from Romano. I'm sure he wouldn't steer you wrong.

I know this drivetrain like my wifes backside now. So if I can help, let me know.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #6 turbo-joe, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    thank you marc :)

as I see the pictures I must say: well done work :) like it :)
    but without intercooler you may not exceed 5 psi, or when you have in pistons with lower compression then max. 8 psi

can you show some pictures from the 2nd gear please? only pitting or tooth brake out?

noisy transfer case? my english is not so good, but I think under transfer case you mean the gears from the clutch down to the gearbox?

with so much hp it would be normal. you need gears with straight teeth, not like the original, because the torque will move the gears "sideward" and may be the housing ( back cover ) already has new meassurements???? this all I have changed on my 1000 hp koenig competition. have a look at my attachment please

next you or your customer will get are problems with the propeller shaft, the main shaft and the CP and of course the diff
    best propeller shaft has rob hayden from australia
    diff I would take next from phil ( great britain ) or I have here from modena ( also australia )
    main shaft and CP I still have here some sets special made for me

but why you need a used transmission? with those turbos on you can forget an original transmission. even for the original horsepower the gearbox is nearly at the limit. so a waste of time and money to look for a used transmission

make it right or let it be. you may tell this your customer. otherwise he will always visit you again because of this and that is not working right or makes noises or makes nothing anymore because something is broken
    only advice from me by own experience with own car
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    thanks guys.

peering in the side cover 2nd gear is badly damaged. the rest of the gears look ok, but it does make noise in any gear so probably some gear debris spread throughout as well. transfer case is also noisy.

basically we started tuning it and after a couple of dyno pulls it started making noise. low and behold, no oil in the transmission or transfer case....

Lear60man: the car is a 91 Testarossa, the engine is out of a 92 512TR. Its running motec with a custom wiring harness and a custom turbo setup. the car itself is silver:

http://www.theswansonfamily.us/modules/gallery2/d/78289-2/IMG_1286_1_.JPG

I'm open to rebuilding the trans, right now we are just trying to determine parts availability and cost, as well as used replacement options.

8. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    turbojoe: we didn't design this turbo kit from scratch. had we, we probably would have designed it with intercoolers in mind. the turbos also sit too low IMO. we had to spend extensive time engineering a surge tank with a sump pump to move the oil into the dry sump tank. otherwise the turbos smoked from oil backing up the drains. This customer's power goals are tame. 5psi will be fine for him.

talk to me more about your notes on this transmission and transfer case with regards to power handling? What upgrades have you done and what weak points have you found? Your picture of the transfer case gears looks non stock. upgraded parts?

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hey Marc, I used to call it transfer case as well. Then I changed to transmission. Turns out the correct terminology is drop gears. I've been confused in the past when using wrong terminology. So we've got drop gears going to gearbox going to differential.

10. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    qwazipsycho: thanks. drop box is what I'm referring to, yes.

11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Newman has one.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Claude, yes I do along with the bell housing, drop gears etc just no clutch is all.

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

DIFF maybe broken ??

15. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1! Most likely.

16. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    #16 a4kquattro, Jan 5, 2016
    ok. spoke with my customer and he's looking to have us rebuild this box. I've got leads on a few good condition transmissions, but I'd like to open the search to 'broken' boxes as well for parts. I hear first gear is a common item to grenade. does anybody have a lead on a core transmission? my key interest is 2nd gear which needs replacing on this box.

dropped the driveline out today. such a huge motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with 2 turbos your customer will come back soon to your shop when you use the original 1st and 2nd gears, not strong enough or you may put in a boost limiter only for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear with max. 6 psi
    but I see there are no air coolers on? so what max. psi your customer is going?

please post some pictures from the "broken" or damaged gears

18. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    Hi Joe,

by all means, post details on upgraded gearset availability. I believe we spoke on the phone about a few different options but I didn't have any firm notes on readily available parts after the call.

correct, no intercooler (not my choice, trust me). 5psi is around the target boost level.

I'll post details of the carnage, we are working on separating the gearbox from the motor at the moment.

19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here in germany we have some factories making those gears, but without the ring for the synchronising. this has to be removed from the old gear and laser welded to thenew gear. those rings were produced at ZF in friedrichshafen, but without connection you don´t get those out of the factory. I´m just ( since 3 yeras :( ) trying to get some

20. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    #20 a4kquattro, Jan 6, 2016
  21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    wow, that looks really bad :(

I will look tomorrow if I have a much better used set and will send you then a PM if I have

22. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's not pretty but hey, it's fixable! Since you're that far into it the fix is easy.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Just two silly Q's from me ....

* Where did the debry/broken splinters go .... ist this really all thats gone bad ?

* How is the diff ?

24. a4kquattro

a4kquattro Rookie

Nov 25, 2013
    Lee, NH
    Full Name:
    Marc Swanson
    we had already flushed the system with fresh oil to remove debris when the issue was discovered which is why it looks fairly clean in there. we are currently in the process of pulling the diff and removing the gearset so we can better see all of the parts and more fully evaluate. I'll know more a bit later today.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I am curious if you do (not) find any more steel splinters ...... and sure curious about the diff ...