Anybody here have a bulging/herniated disc issue? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anybody here have a bulging/herniated disc issue?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by pingi3, Aug 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Well..... I guess you are correct. I have great health care and I was just denied the artificial disc and the reason was the artificial disc was still not 100% proven effective. Well fusion it is of the C5 and C6.

But for the guys who did fusion, I was told the new procedure now was to insert a plastic disc that is hollow in the middle. Then they inject a fluid into the middle of the disc that fuses the 2 bones together. I forgot what fluid it was but it had some type of bone material in it. Was the procedure you guys had or was it actual bone fragments inserted into the region? I also heard they used cadaver bones too????

2. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Great question. You are correct. The material is called BMP. The old technique called for a large bone graft from your pelvis. This meant that you had to recover from 2 surgeries - one for your spine and one for your pelvis. BTW, I hear that the pelvis one is more painful than the spine one. You are lucky that your surgeon will do the BMP. If you Google BMP and spine, that should lead you to the right place. I honestly forgot what BMP stand for even though I have it in my spine.

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Well I had my C5/C6 fusion yesterday. Not bad at all. I thought I would be in much more pain but back at home and relaxing. Arm feels much better. Just wish I can drive. The Dr was making sure I want'd the surgery cause my pain had mostly subsided but I did not want to have permanent nerve damage in my right arm. After the surgery he told my wife, the surgery was a good call cause the disc was pretty bad. No more falling asleep on the couch. Oh and we went a purchased a Temperpedic bed. Best money spent.

4. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Glad you are doing well. How many days in the hospital? What kind of hardware do you have in your spine?

5. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks

I just spent about 20 hours. The Dr decided to use the smaller plate which is about half the size of the normal plate and then 2 screws on top and 2 on the bottom.

It's been about 7 days since the surgery now and the numbness I was experiencing before is back and is actually intensified. No pain, just the numbness. I guess not perfect after all. Hope this is just temporary from the surgery and will settle down after the swelling goes down. Or at least that's what I hope.

6. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Will you be doing any PT? I hope it works out for you,I have to go to my DR once a Month for Injections,Just give it time and take it easy,my problem is I can't sit for too long,Drives me Crazy!

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That's good news.

I think the numbness will decrease over time.

Thank God there's no pain.

Modern medicine is pretty amazing.

8. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I think you are better off with the fusion. I read many studies while performing Independent Medical Reviews and the artificial disc can cause many issues to the spinal levels just above and below the artificial disc in a short period of time. More long term studies are definitely necessary.

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    My MRI show herniation between c4/c5 and the doctor recommended for surgery. I had numbness and tingling in my left arm all the way to my fingertips.

I begin doing upright rows and all my symptoms have gone away. This was not something that was prescribed or intentional it was a byproduct of me going to H.I.I.T class.

10. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Pingi3

Any Updates?