Anybody here try "rucking" to lose weight? | FerrariChat

Anybody here try "rucking" to lose weight?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by TeamF1Jr, Oct 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I'm considering giving this a try to lose 20lbs, any experiences (good or bad) as a result from this?

For those not familiar with rucking, it's basically walking for 30 minutes/day (especially inclines) while wearing backpack/vest with small little weights attached. You start out at maybe adding ten pounds and every week add another ten pounds until you get to 40 or 50lbs.

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #2 Streetsurfer, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    I’ve not done it for weight loss, but do realize it has benefits whenever I load up a rucksack with kites, their weight bags, and fruit and water, to walk to a park to fly. Seems like a win/win situation to maintain a regular program of it. Best wishes on your journeys.

As an afterthought, the only downside I see is a neck to arm nerve impingement issue I have has sometimes flared up from the straps, but then the kite bags are not as comfortable as a well padded back pack strap is. With some attention to comfort of the bag, and given you advance slowly not having spinal nerve issues, you ought to be good to go.

TeamF1Jr likes this.
  3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I hope you're planning on adjusting you're diet as well.

4. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    30 minutes is really not much of a workout. At a walking pace, even with weight, you're not burning many calories. I won't call what I do rucking, but I do throw on a 40lb weight vest (plus camel back and usually a sidearm for wildlife issues) and walked/climb up and down the mountains behind our subdivision for exercise when I cannot get to my gym. When I go, I usually go for 2 hours or so and horizontally cover several miles. If/when I am ever on flat-ish ground, I pick up my pace to a jog or run.

5. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Yeah I heard 30 minutes on many online videos, but it does seem too good to be true. Seems many use a treadmill that has a good amount of incline options so I could see how a person could wear themselves out quickly doing a brisk walk on 7 or 8 degree incline for 30 minutes straight. Just have to find a comfortable vest, and build myself up slowly, tons of ruck paks/vests on Amazon. Got nothing to lose but pounds.

6. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Get a peloton bike and hit that up daily for 1-2x 45 min classes and clean your diet up. You'll see far more results than from rucking. I've spent ample time on a great many very very long ruck marches and it delivers plenty but not something for a weightless workout.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think Joker and sct4a are right - I'm sure rucking has some benefits, but the best way to burn fat is to exercise into target heart rate / aerobic state with a mild cut in caloric intake. Gets harder as you get older, metabolism slows.

Where rucking might be of benefit is sustaining or just easing into full on anaerobic and/or aerobic activity.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Just do 30 minutes of cardio a day on a stationary bike (300-400 calories burned), drink only water, and eat less food. You'll lose weight in no time.

max930 likes this.
  9. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    that's my plan in a nutshell...............

10. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    I've had 3 ACL reconstructions and can't really run anymore, so I walk. A lot. 10-15 miles/day is not unusual and I always have a bag with a laptop, etc in it along with me. I can say with certainty that if you want to lose weight this will certainly help, but won't do much unless you also make a serious (and permanent) change in your diet.

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Army and marines do it all the time.

It' a good reason all our backs are destroyed.

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Reminds me of this picture. :(
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

phrogs likes this.
  13. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    And hips and knees....

phrogs likes this.
  14. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I've "rucked" 30 lbs on several medium length hikes (7-10 miles) at the local state park. I don't do it regularly enough to say it's a weight loss strategy. It's challenging and taxing. I prefer rucking to running, they are two totally different types of workouts.

Usually, I ruck or hike as a social event with certain buddies and coworkers, or for benefit events. Ruck participants are usually active or former military.