Anybody know this dry sump 308 GTB? | FerrariChat

Anybody know this dry sump 308 GTB?

Discussion in '308/328' started by steve meltzer, Feb 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    A lot of people here should: I'm 99% sure it Is f-chatter "Bigodino" ex-car. Well documented in its days here. Sold new in Switzerland.
    Rgds

3. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I'm not an expert by any means but the price, for the mileage and no certificates (Classiche, ASI) or awards seems high. Its getting near GTB Vetroresina prices. I've been looking for a GTB for a while and this one's high.

dmundy likes this.
  4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx. I really like the car, too, but it does seem priced pretty high. s

Matts308 likes this.
  5. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    I'm 99,5 % shure it's "Bigodino"'s former 308. I saw the car just before it was exported to the USA. "Live" it looks even better than on the pictures. Really superb ! If you're really in for such a car I think in 10 years (or so) you'd wish you bought one back in 2018..

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    It is Bigodino's ex. I advised a friend to buy it when it was for sale in Europe...it was a great deal then. It's been up-priced since being imported to the US, but is still a great car. If you want a great one to hang on to, this is still a good deal. People always say the great cars are worth more. Well, this is one of them.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That car is my screen saver on my phone - he let me take it around the block last year in Daytona.

Very very nice example.

M. Brandon Motorcars likes this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Saw it in person last June. Hard to say if I've seen a more beautiful Ferrari. High miles, but well documented. Michael is good to work with, but from my past negotiations doesn't budge much off asking.....but he's had this awhile now so who knows, maybe I should take another run at it (please don't tell the wife). An early Euro GTB would be a keeper for me.

9. Nino1964

Nino1964 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2015
    North Georgia
    This looks like a very nice car. I think that in years to come this car will climb in value.

10. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Hi everyone!

Yes, the Dino Blue Metallic (Blu Dino Metallico) 1978 308 GTB, a never-federalized dry-sump Euro GTB, is for sale. And, yes, this was Bigodino's car. I imported the car from the Netherlands to the US in 2015 for a client of mine. He sold the car, and I couldn't resist buying it.

This 308 is truly stunning. As has been said above, anyone who has seen the car in the metal is utterly amazed by its condition, the color, and the specialness of the car. It is fully mechanically and cosmetically sorted as well, ready for its next owner to enjoy.

As for the price: this car cannot be compared to a garden-variety US 308, carbed or not. You can find a US 78 308 for a little more than half of my asking price for this car. Again, this is a never-federalized, documented, dry-sump Euro 308 GTB in a very rare and incredible color in concours quality condition. The only more desirable 308 would be a vetroresina (fiberglass) car, and frankly, I would value this car higher than a US vetro car, given that it is a dry-sump Euro car.

So, this car is in the market, and it is for sale. My asking prices are accurate market values, but I am always listening to offers.

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    My '77 Dry Sump is her twin sister...I can't wait til she's out of restoration. Bigodino was even nice enough to loan me the test spray color card for the BDM on his car. Love it!

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Super nice 308.GLWS.

14. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I understand the premium of vetroresina over steel cars (first batch, small numbers, fewer rust issues, maybe less weight) but what's the advantage of the dry sump cars? It's only the engine isn't it? Other than that, yeah you can go around corners without oil starvation worries, perhaps a bit more hp, small number produced (how many?), but are there any other obvious major distinguishing features that would effectively double the price of a dry sump model over a standard 308? I'd love to own this blue GTB but at a price point equal to a 430 or a 550? Can't be persuaded.

15. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    I think the same question(s) can be asked for the price difference between "F1" and "stick" cars from 355/360/430/599 models. "The market" however is always right..

16. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yoric, in this case, it’s not just because of a dry sump engine.

Sure, a dry sump engine is pretty cool. But the real reason that dry sump cars bring more money is that they are only Euro cars, and that they are only GTBs. Add the dry sump engine, Euro, and GTB together and you have a very rare car in the US. The premium for a dry sump GTB isn’t as high in Europe, although the overall prices of 308s is higher in Europe, so it sort of equals out.

And, this car was not brought over in period, meaning it was not cut up and federalized. No body changes for side marker lights. No beams installed in the doors by who knows who. No emissions changes (cats, air pumps, etc.) to the engine. All of this makes this particular car worth more than other 308s out there, compared to most cars much more. For the collector/enthusiast looking for a very special 308, this is an opportunity that doesn’t come along very often.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You are paying for the configuration, the dry sump, the hot cams, and the European body. The number of similar cars of all colors is probably in the hundreds rather than 6000 550s or 18000 430s.

There is a similar car going across the block at Hollywood Wheels auction in black/black and also very well restored. I'm thinking about registering for the auction.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Anyone here know why this Blu Dino Met looks nothing like that on the Salchi paint sample book. I have a spray card with the color from this very 308, and compared it to the Salchi book for pre-1980 Ferraris with the BDM card looking slightly darker and a little more greyish (i.e. not nearly as exciting)...I will try to post a pic of a BDM Daytona matched to the Salchi card. Apologies for the digression...

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
  20. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Beautiful car. It's a shame they all gotta be red.

21. MrGrigio

MrGrigio Formula 3

Dec 19, 2011
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Rennie Stein
    Hannibal308,

Have you been to this website? The dealer also claims this 1977 308 GTB to be be Blu Dino Metalizzato. Nonetheless, a very beautiful looking car.

Will the real Blu Dino Metalizzato please stand up?

Its probably a function of light.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yes. I saw that. It’s different too. I like the blue as on this thread subject car. My restorer, who’s been doing these cars for ages, says “that’s not blu Dino met”. Frustrating.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Will, do you have the actual paint code, not its name? It is important, as a color name, here: "Blu Dino Metallizatto" may have been used at different period of time, but may, OR MAY NOT, be the exact same color. By the way, different paint manufacturers may have used the same name for a different color; the same name for the same color; a different name for the same color...the full label from the paint manufacturer is what is needed: paint name and paint code.
    Your "Blu Dino Metallizatto" is Glidden Salchi 106-A-72 (that became later 633-8-006)?

Rgds

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Yes, 106-A-72. I’ve just about given up caring and will choose the blue I like best. That is, the one used on the car in this thread. Lovely.

25. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will