Anybody Own(ed) Both a 550 & Lamborghini Diablo? | FerrariChat

Anybody Own(ed) Both a 550 & Lamborghini Diablo?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Shark01, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I’ve been looking to add a Ferrari and my mechanic says a 550 would be a more reasonable alternative to a 512 Boxer (less maintenance, easier to live with, more versatile, less $$$$ to purchase). I also own a 1999 Lamborghini Diablo Roadster in a very subdued metallic yellow and calm, almost boring, interior color.

My initial thought is that they would be too much alike, the 550 just being a classier alternative that has a softer edge. Am I missing an opportunity here? Have no practical experience with a 550.

Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Patrik550, paulchua, Jaguar36 and 3 others like this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #2 ralfabco, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    I had a Diablo and it was reliable. With my (very) limited experience I find the 550, is easy to live with and drive. My biggest issue with the Diablo, was the clunky shifter and bulk. I have also driven a 99 VT and Roadster. The Maranello has better shifting effort and feels smaller inside and out. Yes, the Boxer will not be cheap to operate when compared, to a 550. At this point the 550, is a real value to buy.

The Boxer is easy to live with and easy to drive (in my opinion). The Boxer is not cheap to maintain and requires an engine-out belt service. Some Boxer parts will be difficult to obtain and the stock tire choice is limited.

Nice looking Momo Roadster ^^

paulchua and F456M like this.
  3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Add a Testarossa! It's the perfect stablemate to the Diablo.

A Testarossa is definitely a subdued version of a Diablo.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bradwilliams likes this.
  4. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I haven't done this but I have had the 550 and Testarossa at the same time for about two years. Don't do it. You will begin to will hate the 550 quickly. I sure did. Shamile's mantra is the diablo is the roided out testarossa.

Shamile likes this.
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Just to be clear...."steroids" ....not "hemeroids" lol

When you drive the Diablo, you can really see the secret testing they did with the Testarossa. The feel is very similar...except the Diablo is faster and more brutal....but the Testarossa handles way better.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Shark01 likes this.
  6. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Ironically my mechanic warned me not to buy the 550 and mentioned that it felt and drove like a mercedes. I didn't heed his warnings and ended up buying it anyway. It was not my cup of tea. And it is a TOTALLY different car than a boxer. Compairing a boxer to a 550 is like comparing a countach to a cl500 mercedes. If you're looking for excitement and visceral feel the 550 is not your car.

Shamile likes this.
  7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Of course the Boxer is different - late 1960's/early 70's tech vs mid 1990's tech.

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Yes, the 550 has no excitement and no visceral feel, so little in fact, you find the need to frequent a 550 forum long after you've parted with it.

F456M likes this.
  9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Zero credibility.

10. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

11. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    You cannot please all of the people all of the time. I dare say the 550 is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly mine - maybe it's a sign of age!

paulchua likes this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #12 F456M, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    This thread is quite interesting to me, as I myself is thinking of the same thing, just the opposite way. I have had a 550 now for six years and I also want (when the lottery ticks in) a Diablo in addition to the Diablo. I have always liked the design of that car alot. Prefer it over the similar priced or cheaper Murciélago. But the tech of the Murcie and sound is better than the Diablo... Luckily, I don’t have that lyxigt problem yet. So what can I say about the 550?? Well, it is a beautiful car from ALL angles. Also, when you sit in it, the wheel and shifter and seats are really just perfect. It is comfortable for long trips and have the same hp as a first generation Diablo. At least on the paper. It has a quite huge trunk. And in addition, lots of space behind the seats too. I like it because on a vacation, I usually have to bring some stuff. It is ultra reliable, not very expencive to service and I get lots of thumbs up from people. As it is quite reminiscent of the 250 GTO in design, simplicity and configuration, which not one single car can match that well, it is an exceptional value for the money. You can buy about 500 550 Maranello for the price of one 250 GTO! I have had many much cheaper enthusiast cars, but in the long run, I feel the 550 is one of the least expencive cars I have owned in terms of repairs and problems. The quality is super. That is the big bonus buying a car of modern times. The electric system on 70-ies and 80-ies cars are terrible in comparison. And I really like the dashboard of the 550. It is simple but at te same time funtcional and beautiful. It is not very difficult to drive. Sometimes I could wish I had a Diablo because it is more brutal and wild. But quite often, I apprechiate the car as not being too complicated to drive, park and maintain. It is quite long anyway and it takes some space. And it is a real Pininfarina design with the badge, which the new V12 GT Ferraris have not. And it accelerate rapidly to 200 mph. / 325 kph. on the speedo! Go for it. I think you will love it. And then use the Diablo for the very special occasions.

Erik :)

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #13 Shark01, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    There's a reason I skipped from Boxer to 550.....I just can't with the styling, just too dated for me.

Thanks for the discussion everyone....I guess the 550 is polarizing for some people. I think it's a beautiful design, just worry that it might not be different enough from what I have now.

My current wish list in order of purchase price is:

Ford GT
    Boxer BBi
    Scuderia
    550(?) or Porsche 993 Turbo

I think I run out of budget before I hit Ford GT territory.....Boxer pricing has to continue to trend down for the next year....everything else is fair game now.

paulchua likes this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You know all those youtube videos where guys find 5 things about their car they don't like? There is NOTHING I don't like about my Diablo Roadster.

Shamile and F456M like this.
  15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok. That’s great. So why don’t you just drive that car as much as possible? Why do you want a 550 too then?

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Because Shark has first world problems ;) lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F456M likes this.
  17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I would agree that the Testarossa is dated....so dated it an iconic representation of an era. If you're looking for a great driving and reliable car, you can't go wrong with the Testarossa. Also, given it's pricing, it also has a lot of upside. But....at the end of the day, you have to love a car's design. If it does nothing for you....then go with what you desire.

For me, it's the 2013 Aventador Roadster. That design just makes my jaw drop. I'm not a fan of of the S, SV or SVJ....too "added on"

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F456M, Shark01 and carguyjohn350 like this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Because I get so much enjoyment from the last purchase, hoping lightning strikes twice.....you know how it is, guys here with rediculous number of great cars, just stuff to keep me motivated.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    So long as you are sure you want something different from the Diablo, then ignore the detractors (of whom there are very few) and go for the 550.

F456M and paulchua like this.
  20. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Just go online read the reviews from mags and other owners....you will clearly understand what this car truly is

V12, gated shifter, gobs or torgue at all revs and near 500hp, a balanced chassis developed with Lauda and Shumi.....need we say more?

F456M likes this.
  21. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Have you though about a Countach. A Boxer drives quite differently from a Countach.

Shamile likes this.
  22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    There is a good series of long term ownership reviews by Harry Metcalfe in EVO which are on line somewhere. I had a chat with Harry at a reception last Autumn and he still has a very high opinion of the 550. 550 may be in Harry's Garage video series, too, but not sure.

23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan

Bluebottle and G. Pepper like this.
  24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But not typical FChat poster problems, takes YEARS for me to pull together $150k of play money......wish I was a 25 year old youtuber with endless funds

Shamile likes this.
  25. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I would rather have the 550 than any TR variant. You'd have to go back to the BB's to get to a boxer I'd want, and they are way too high now. I really prefer GT V12's though.

Bluebottle likes this.