Anybody Own(ed) Both a 550 & Lamborghini Diablo? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anybody Own(ed) Both a 550 & Lamborghini Diablo?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Shark01, Apr 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Call George Evans. He has his finger on the pulse of the Countach market as he is a known restoration and servicing expert.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    If you are speaking to me / referring to Harry Metcalfe's video, then no: he is implying the opposite IMO, and I agree with him. It seems to me that he is suggesting that the Diablo / Testarossa is the hooligan in the reversed baseball cap, to the 550's smoothie in the Armani suit.

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My comment was to the OP who used the word boring if im not mistaken in first post

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I understand. There may be a lot of things to call a Diablo, but I cannot why imagine anyone, let alone a Diablo owner, would describe it as boring!:eek:

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    McDonald's employees might not agree with this statement.

Shark01 likes this.
  6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    lol...he was being sarcastic! The momo has the crazy Ronald McDonald interior!

Boring no.....tasteful....no...but, that's the Momo edition.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hey I'm a Lamborghini owner...crazy is our business.

F456M and Shamile like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    And they will kindly hold on to the car for eternity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mchas and Bluebottle like this.
  10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Quite a few U.S. model 89's were purchased as investments by the original owner and it is not all that difficult to find, as-new cars with just over delivery miles. I don't understand why someone would buy a car to be a caretaker for the next owner. Imagine the agony when you are out driving and watching the odometer (a clock watcher) and realize the car has reached the limit, of a quarterly 25KM fun run. I had a 89 Queen.

NE550 and Shamile like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I dont drive mine because i dont find it enjoyable. Always end up taking the diablo when i need my lambo fix. The diablo is exhilarating and pure joy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shark01, F456M and Shamile like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Salesman of the day!

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I kind of like the old Mazda 323s. My aunt had one and is was good car. Just slightly less flamboyant.

paulchua likes this.
  15. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    So why keep it?

Those cars all look like something weird out of Star Wars, with the stick on plastic bits, wings and so forth. They even seem to have some sort of cow-catcher thingy on the front!

This, in comparison, is sheer elegance:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red575, Il Tifoso, G. Pepper and 2 others like this.
  16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The front bumper was reluctantly added by the factory to comply, with U.S. DOT regulations. The original part can be sourced to return the front to the original RoW spec.

Unfortunately, the tacky add on's were put on to compete with the Testarossa. The US spec from 1989 is generally considered the entry level Countach due to the busy exterior. Late 80's was the peak of excess.

Shamile likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The original LP400 is the only one I'd be interested in. Still so strikingly beautiful, even after all these years. Unfortunately, it was introduced right before a major revolution in tires and they couldn't afford to upgrade it more gracefully. Late Countachs hurt my eyes and make me sad.

NE550 and Il Tifoso like this.
  18. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The pick of the litter ^^. Some of the earliest examples had additional magnesium parts.

Don't forget to bring your checkbook. 2014 was the peak market.

During 2005, if you could find an example for sale - it was available, for 90-120K.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I remember, I was on a double date in high school with my buddy. We started rolling backwards on a hill that's how under powered it was! hahaha That said, a perfect car for a poor kid like me.

That said, I have no compunction to register at www.mazda3revolution.com and tell all those guys how slow, and under powered it is. That the car embarrassed me in front of two girls, and how much I hated it. Post about how it has no excitement or visceral feel, and that there are way better cars out there.

I'm just happy for those guys, and appreciate their passion for the Mazda 3 series.

F456M likes this.
  20. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, that is a lot better, but I am afraid it still does little for me. That was the point at which Lamborghini styling lost it as far as I was concerned. When you compare the Countach with its predecessor, one of the most ravishingly beautiful cars of all time . . . it was downhill all the way from then on.

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Less is more.... That is why I regard the 550 more beautiful than the 599 and the newer cars which has too many air intakes and all kinds of crazy lines...

22. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    I've got a '99 Roadster and a Barchetta. I like open-top cars, obviously. They're different enough and both are really fun. Naturally, people inevitably ask which is my favorite. I live in Utah, so I compare it to sacred polygamous marriage: You have to love them all equally for their own unique qualities.

I don't feel any less excitement with the 550 compared to the Diablo. Appearance-wise the Lambo is simply stunning, and I have always thought the Barchetta was one of the most beautiful cars ever (the roll hoops are unconventional but Pininfarina and I like them-if you don't they're easy to take off). The motors are both great; I find I tend to rev the 550 higher just because it feels like it belongs there. Maybe that's also because the 550 is a little quieter; I want to remedy that in the future, make it meaner like my mufflerless Diablo (I'll note that some techs at my Ferrari dealer consider the 550 with resonator delete and free-flow exhaust to be the best sounding Ferrari ever). Of course, the Diablo gets more attention, but then there are not many cars that can beat it in that criteria. But the 550, being topless and bright yellow, gets a lot, too. I'm always nice and have had good conversations with people at gas stops, etc. And with no tops, people sometimes feel free to converse at stop lights. But I don't really enjoy the attention per se. I also like my 993 turbo, a much different car, smaller (which is a nice change) and while beautiful, doesn't get as noticed (except by aficionados).

But, sure, a 550 coupe will be a bit more relaxing to drive. And to me that's not bad. What I really wish is that back when the Great Recession had people thinking the world was ending, I would have bought a coupe, in a nice, subdued blue or gray. This would be the perfect (semi) daily, comfortable but still fast and fun, less noticeable, a waterproof roof that doesn't have you reading weather reports and scanning the skies for threat of cloudburst (yes, the Diablo has a roof, but I'd rather not carry it, and for the Barchetta, the less said about the roof the better).

Il Tifoso, Shark01, paulchua and 5 others like this.
  23. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Very interesting to read. And thanks for sharing your experience. Which one is the faster? How is the difference in feel and actual performance?

paulchua likes this.
  24. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Indeed:

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Wow, what a trifecta of great cars...what color is your Diablo and 993TT?