Anybody Remember Star Motor Cars? | FerrariChat

Anybody Remember Star Motor Cars?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Texas Forever, Apr 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    Weren't they also the Mercedes dealership?

I seem to remember my father-in-law buying a bunch of MBs from them in the late 70s-early 80's 300Ds (non-turbos, turbos, coupes, 4-drs), 300SDs, 450SL. He was big into the diesels, I think the 450SL was his only gas powered purchase.

Sid

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    And was a Range Rover dealership as well...

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not familiar with Texas franchise law but surprised this is an issue, especially a public one. Typically franchise contracts give the franchiser great authority over the facility and it is an area I have never seen a car manufacturer shy about flexing its muscles. All these Benz dealerships are not aluminum and glass palaces because car dealers like to get strapped to huge overhead expenses.

5. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    They used to be an Aston Martin dealer also years ago (may still be). When in Houston on business I went by there late one evening to look for used Astons. Ran into the security guard, told him what I was looking for and he took me upstairs to where they kept their inventory. Even let me sit in a Virage. Probably helped that I was wearing a tie. Thought he must have been very bored but it was a cool thing to do.

6. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    They were/may still be the Lotus dealer in town. I have a friend who bought her Evora there and I used to take my Esprit Turbo there when I had it. And my wife bought a C-class Mercedes there in the early 2000's.

Yeah, it's an old school place, but they have car people there. They would host the Lotus club meetings in the late '90's and back in the '80's there was a guy who worked there who raced Spec Racers. He would get the dealership to do stuff to support the SCCA.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I looked at a used 2009 Aston Martin manual shift DBS at their showroom about 2 years ago. $99K loaded to the max but 30K miles. Ouch.
    They seemed like nice people but the location was a jungle. Bizarre.

Should have bought that DBS !

8. TX77005

TX77005 Rookie

Jan 22, 2006
    Evergreen CO
    We bought my wife’s Saab 9000 from Star in 1994. Not much has changed since then. I actually prefer Star to some of slick modern dealerships.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    They were one my parts suppliers when I had my body shop back in 2001, very impressive building.