430 - Anybody Set Their Exhaust Valves To Closed? | FerrariChat

430 Anybody Set Their Exhaust Valves To Closed?

Discussion in '360/430' started by BlacktopRacing, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Hi all,

I've had my exhaust valves disconnected for a while, but mainly just to have a consistent exhaust note, not necessarily to be louder (although I don't mind). I was just wondering what it would be like if they were closed all the time. Has anyone done this and if so, what is the best method? I tried safety wire, but it didn't last long.

Thanks!

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    " closed all the time"

So when you're giving it to her (spirited drive) wouldn't that be like having someone choke you during sex? Sorry, I know this is of no help but it was all I could think of, lol

By doing that aren't you preventing hot exhaust gases (spent) from leaving the engine as quickly and efficiency as possible?
    In your case wouldn't it raise the temp in the exhaust system and eventually back up to the engine components causing overheating.
    I'm not a Tech but logically that can't be good to do.

3. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I wouldn't recommend that. The closed valve route is extremely restrictive even at low RPM. The elevated back pressure will cause all sorts of issues such as heat and crankcrase blow-by, let alone seriously diminished performance.

Flea7 likes this.
  4. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    There are setups that you can install that let you open/close them remotely, so how is that any different? Somebody can opt to leave them closed then too, or simply forget. Sometimes, when I'm just driving the missesaround, or going through the neighborhood, I don't want the car to be loud. But that got me wondering about what it would sound like if they are closed all the time. I'm not sure how restrictive it would be, but I suspect it can't be destructive, because they could potentially fail. Why would Ferrari install a part that could fail and be destructive (said tongue-in-cheek, thinking if the pre catalytic converters).

Manda racing likes this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Depending on destination market and mapping done Ferrari have experimented with valve opening times quite a bit on both 360 and F430..

The highest (closed) mapped I've seen the factory do it is valves being closed and only opening at a rather high 6,000 rpm and fully opened by 6,200rpm if you apply more than 69% Throttle. You'll notice from the map shown the factory deem it OK to have valves closed even at max RPM as long as your under 69% throttle which is when the valves begin opening and are fully opened by 81% throttle and over 6,200rpm...

Attached Files:

fossilfuel likes this.
  6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just a bit of clarification, 0.0 = closed. 1.0 = half open state, 2.0 = fully open state.

fossilfuel likes this.
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    As can be seen from the charts even Ferrari in some noise restricted markets left valves closed to max rpm limiter if under 69% throttle so it's definitely possible to drive with valves closed under all but peak rpm conditions. If you where tracking the car at high rpm for long periods I would suspect as Mark pointed out heat soak could be a serious issue but i think Ferrari assume you'll be using it on the road and not heavy track usage for their test conditions. Probably a slow down light or other CEL would illuminate before it became critical.

On challenge racers there's no cats, free flowing back box which is fully insulated to prevent heat soak in surrounding areas and they have a lexan window with air ducting into the engine bay which obviously improves cooling too.

8. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I have the remote button but they still open by themselves at high rpm

Manda racing and SAFE4NOW like this.
  9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Just so that you have correct information. The remote lets you open the valves at will but the car still functions as normal when the remote is not on. ....meaning when remote is not used the valve is not alway closed. When you hit a certain rpm the valves will open. They are never permanately closed.

whatheheck, ShineKen and cpep like this.
  10. BlacktopRacing

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Wow, what a bunch of excellent follow up posts! Thanks guys. I never knew that map existed, and that is extremely useful, and so is knowing that the valves still open as designed even when using the remote controllers. So based on this, I will definately NOT be looking for a way to close them. However, I may be looking for a suitable replacement muffler that doesn't use the valves and is quieter. Anybody recommend options for that?

11. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    You should talk to Felix from Kline. I'm sure he can make any configuration you want and it's really nice stuff .

Flea7 likes this.
  12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was staring at my controllers and I’m about to replace bottom skin— is there an easy way to temporarily get valves open ? Is it the small hose with a clamp?

Also— it seems that valves open without full throttle around town.

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just a FYI... I'll release an app shortly for Android (followed by IOS at a later date) which allows you to swap exhaust valve maps on the fly as well as turn them off/on. You can even adjust the valve opening bark time on first engine turn on when cold. This is configured from factory on 360 and F430 at 2.5 seconds... So if its 0 the engine won't bark at all on engine start, useful for quiet (ish) getaways early morning.

These features will require no wiring, just a plug in and play OBD Wifi/Bluetooth dongle that I will supply and your Ignition ECU's will require adaptation using Swiss Army Knife software. I plan to add features regularly to it so this is just one of many...

fossilfuel and cpep like this.
  14. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What are the corresponding ignition tables like for this map compared to a market with valves opening earlier?

15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Disregard my question on how to get them to stay open. I think I’ll leave it alone. (I thought It might be better at Willow Springs Raceway this weekend.)