Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I like a lot of what they do in crossfit, it's like a good mix of exercises. What I dislike from what I see in a LOT of corssfit is the otherwise horrible form - the mentality that "as long as it gets done, it doesn't matter how clean it is." I'm a huge proponent to form and that good form generally equals more results, and a safer workout.

Doing chin ups or muscle ups with a crazy jerk/swing will do less for you than ultimately doing those same exact exercises, with a clean body/movement.

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Boxes that doesnt have strict form is a per box issue. The ones Ive attended stress form over weight.

Kipping for some exercises make them harder ie HSPU others easier ie pullups

Try another box...

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I've seen just as much bad form at the typical globo gym. In the end it's up to you but try to find a box that is unforgiving when it comes to bad form. I also don't like kipping. It is primarily a cheat to allow faster pull-ups, muscle ups, etc. I choose to do everything strict. It is slower overall but better for strength. I can do 20 butterfly pull-ups in the time it takes me to do 10 strict. Same for muscle ups.

4. DevonL

DevonL Formula 3

Mar 13, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Devon
    I have to disagree that kicking in a handstand pushup makes it harder. By kicking up you're literally forcing your energy/inertia in an upward motion, to take less of the force out of your arms.

If you truly want to make them more difficult, I recommend utilizing a set of rings, or pbars or no wall. If utilizing rings, use the straps as guides to balance yourself if your balance and strength isn't there yet (additionally, focus on keeping the rings turned out), if utilizing pbars, have a spotter help keep you balanced, and if using no wall, use the same technique as pbars. Keep your core, butt and legs tight and focus on counter balance through your wrists and or hands. Toe point is also somewhat key here, if your toes are pointed, your legs will follow by being tight - though this is just the gymnast logic in me.

From what I've seen from the cross fitters in my area, it is a gross majority that unfortunately will go at it with bad form. As a gymnast, it pains me to see it! However, I'm glad you report a focus on form, you get significantly more out of it and are far less apt to be injured.

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I just started doing this with a friend. I've been going to a regular gym for the past 10yrs or so but never worked out with this much intensity.

So far I think it's great! :)

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Good to hear something positive. Proper form is key to low injuries

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Finding our max on box jumps last night, got 44" which I was happy with since I never even did a box jump before starting crossfit a few months ago.