Anyone checking out Barrett-Jackson? | FerrariChat

Anyone checking out Barrett-Jackson?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,the annual B-J Auction out in Scottsdale,AZ. is going on,(Speedchannel). Curious to see what,if any,Exotics come up for Auction. I saw a nice,White 1985 Countach coming up. Wanna see some Ferrari action...

It goes on all Weekend,'til Sunday...We'll see...:)

2. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Ya gotta love a Plymouth with a shaker hood going for $250K

3. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    Watched for a little while tonight on Speed Channel. Can't believe some of the outrageous (my opinion) prices some of the muscle cars are going for!

Should have kept my 58 Chevy convertible!!!

4. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Almost 60k for an 308 85qv!

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Really???
    You can have mine for 60K!
    how about the 67 Vette for $151K!

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is it just me or has the economy turned around and people are willing again to spend ridiculous amounts on these cars?

A friend of mine is looking for a nice GT4 and they are now in the 20-30k range. A few years ago they were about 15-20k.

Frank, you better realize your dream fast or it will have risen to the stratosphere. I'm just glad I got my 2nd car in last summer. Even those prices are rising.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

LOL! No,judging by the Barrett-Jackson Auction,which is a "Barometer" of the Collector Car World. Ferrari's will be most attainable for quite awhile....Start Stocking 'em up.....:)

Now,if I was looking for a '69 Camaro,'70 'Cuda or Challenger,Mid Year,('63-'67 Corvette),'57 Chevy,or Home Made Street Rod-Not even close to being an Original-then,I might start Sweating....

(As I am writing this,they just Sold an F355 Spyder for $80K....)

And...they are not even showing all of the Very Few Ferrari's that ARE there For Sale,on the TV....:(

9. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    If you guys think the Ferraris are going for crazy money, check out what the Alfa Romeos are bringing. Less total dollars, but unbelievable multiples of the actual values of the cars, in some cases. For instance, a beat-up 85 Spider sold for over $15K; from the pictures, it looks like it's worth about $5k tops. An Alfetta sedan went for over $10K. Alfettas are the unloved stepchildren of the Alfa line-up; I don't know what shape this one was in, but even if it was in concours perfect shape (and I'll bet a bunch it was not) that's still ridiculous; decent Alfettas regularly sell for under $4K; often under $3K.

On the Alfa BB, one of the members posted this comment:

See http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=8372

Someone said that the Alfetta had been "appraised" at $18K, which may factor in to what uninformed buyers are willing to pay. I don't know where those appraisals come from, but that kind of appraisal was either grossly negligent or possibly fraudulent.

While some people think that published sales figures like these are an indicator of rising values of their cars, I think that is remote at best. I think it actually does the brand and model a disservice when some bonehead pays triple the value of a car at an auction, for the following reason: Clearly that person is not an enthusiast and lover of the marque, or he would know what the car was worth. So, we have yet another one of "our" cars going to someone who does not really appreciate it, and is unlikely to care for it as diligently as an enthusiast. And then when he goes to sell it, of course nobody is going to pay anywhere near what he paid for it, so either he sells it at a big loss, which probably sours him on Alfas (or Ferraris) and another anti-Italian car ambassador is born, or he just keeps it and it rots away in a garage---and he is still probably soured on them, with all that that implies.

(The fantasy scenario would be the hot-rod guy who on a lark buys the Italian sports car and, after driving it a bit, suddenly sees the light and unloads his Camaros to buy Dinos and Daytonas, but unfortunately I think that's pretty far-fetched.)

One thing I wonder: we know that the Italian cars they sell at BJ are going for a lot more than market...does that mean that in the enthusiast community one can still get decent old American muscle cars at reasonable prices, or are the auction prices for them closer to the real market prices, if you bought one somewhere besides at the big televised auction?

10. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    the Oldsmobile F 88 just went for $3,000,000.00!! unbelievable

11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I'm watching right now. Unreal. Writerguy is out there, I'm looking forward to the photos he posts.

12. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'll tell ya what; this Hemi fever is something else! I'm thinking about pulling the engine out of my 328, dropping in an old Hemi and putting it in next year's B-J auction!

14. WJHMH

Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Does anyone know what the 512bb's sold for?

15. Free

Free Karting

Oct 26, 2004
    Scurry, Texas
    Full Name:
    Duane Baker
  16. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Damn, I missed the '05 Ford GT for 302K:)

17. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,it was almost an embarassment for Ferrari Fans...Only 9 cars offered. The 3 Nicest ones were Giallo,(Yellow) which,not my bag,man. And,1/2 of the Cars offered were pretty crappy. Very disappointing....:(

Barrett-Jackson says that they had 5000 cars wanting to be in the Auction,and they only let in 900 of "The Best of the Best"....Hmmmm. Does that mean that these were the ONLY Ferrari's that came to the Auction? Or does Barrett-Jackson have some kind of "Beef" with Ferrari's,(Like Jay Leno)and purposely wanted to show some crappy cars to "diss" Ferrari...?

And...with all of those guys in the Bidding Arena wearing Ferrari Paraphernalia! (And,the guy that paid $3MILLION DOLLARS for the 1954 Oldsmobile...Wearing Ferrari Stuff.....Sad....:( ) No '59 TR's. No 166MM's. No P4's. No 275GTB/4's. No nothing....:(

Like Jack said....I am going to drop a Hemi into my 308,and bring it out there and get $300Grand from one of those Old guys with too much money burning a hole in their Pocket...."It's a ONE OFF car...THE ONLY ONE like it in the Whole Wide World!!!!...And...AND...It's got a HEMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My opinion? The Ferrari Service issue really needs to be addressed and changed. Those SpeedTV Commentators were picking at Every Ferrari,(Rightfully so,unfortunately,in a few cases...:( ) Saying that,"Yes,and after you buy it,be prepared to sink another $15-$20,000.00 into it..".And, that "The Cars are nice. Look nice. Have alot of Horsepower. Great Performers. But,you gotta sink alot of money into them every few Years for service"... Mmakes me want to run right out and buy one....:)

EVERY CAR. That is not great "P.R." for Ferrari. The Service Issue needs to be not such an Issue anymore. Then,if it isn't,more and more Cars will be properly Serviced,producing more,and better Cars. Thus,bringing up the Market Value,(If thats what you are looing for...)

They do make a point about having to sink $10-15-20,000.00 into a $20-30-40,000.00 Car,though....Almost makes me want to put the Ferrari in storage and run out and get a Viper....Or a 2005-C6 Corvette.....Or a HEMI 'Cuda!!!....NAH!!!!!....:)

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apologies for a stupid question, but what is a Hemi?

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It is a "Hemispherical Head Cumbustion Chamber Engine". The Spark Plug is in the Center of the Cumbustion Chamber Cylinder,as opposed to "Off to the side". And,inside the Combustion Chamber is a,
    "Hemisphere" created from the top of the Piston,into the Head. I guess it's supposed to be a "Perfectly Even" Combustion Chamber scenario,Burning More Fuel,Faster,More evenly and more efficiently,producing more Power.

Europeans have had engines like that since the early 1900's. While,Chrysler just started putting them in in the Early 1950's. They started as a 331 Cu.In. Then,a 392 Cu.In. Then,when the "Muscle Car Era" boomed in the 1960's,went up to a 426Cu.In.size,with "Insurance Rated 425 Horsepower". Which was actually more like 500+ H.P.

In the 1950's,they went into the Big Chrysler Road Cars mostly. Then,in the Mid-Late 60's,and very early '70's, they went into Dodge Chargers,Daytona's,Super Bee's,Challengers,and a couple Darts. Also,into Plymouth Roadrunners,GTX's,Superbirds,'Cuda's.

They were a Rare option,so,now they are commanding Insane $$. But,the original Cars that came with the Hemi Motors are so expensive now. Some guys are taking regular Cars,say,a 340 Cu.In. 'Cuda,(I had one of those in High School) and puting a Hemi in them,and making a "Hemi 'Clone' Car". These ,surprisingly,are still going for huge bucks,eventhough they are "Not Original-Non Matching Numbers" Cars.

Ford produced a Hemi Engine in either '69 or '70,that was 427 Cu.In. for it's NASCAR ventures,and other racing endeavors. They put them into a couple Mustangs and Torino's. VERY RARE...More Rare than Mopar.(Dodge,Plymouth,Chrysler) But,NASCAR Outlawed the Hemi's 'cause they were just too Fast.

Now,Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep,is offering a New "Hemi" Motor intheir New Cars. not as Powerful as their "Grandfather Hemi Motors",but,fast nonetheless.

When I was at a Car Show out in Geneva last Summer with Bob. There was some sort of little European Car that had a little Hemi in it, I forgot what it was,though.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Aha, thanks Frank.

Hasn't Norwood done a similar thing to a 308? Took out the engine and put in some big block US engine in the front and set some speed record in Bonneville? Hey, I'll dispose of that 308 engine for you, thank you very much...

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! No,if I was to ever take the Ferrari Engine out of my Ferrari. I would put it in some sort of Pedastool and keep it as the peice of Art that it is....:)

But,I must admit that the thought of getting a Ferrari with a Trashed Engine in it,and sticking in a 502Cubic Inch "Chevy Crate Motor" HAS crossed my mind....(as the 'purists' faint....:) ) THAT would be a fun Car. Can you imagine having a 308,with it's great looks and handling abilities,with a 500 H.P..virtually "Bullet Proof" Engine in it? Yes,after installing some Big,"Baer Brakes" on it,sure would be fun.....Wouldn't it?....:)

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    "PIECE" of Art that it is....:)

23. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    My Alfa Romeo Spider has a hemi in it---as does just about every other Alfa you are likely to see, actually.

24. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Andreas-

You may be thinking of the 308 that a Ferrari V-12 was put in.

It was mid-mounted though like the original.