Anyone else here training with a torn meniscus? | FerrariChat

Anyone else here training with a torn meniscus?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chupacabra, Feb 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Medial tear, ortho says I need surgery. I'm assuming it happened as a result of my recent obsession with deep single leg squats, but there was no precipitating event I can point to. I woke up one Friday morning and it was stiff and sore. I could still run for about two weeks, then that became pretty painful. No catching, full range of motion. Only things that hurt are running and jumping - step ups, two legged squats, speed walking, etc - no problem.

Ironically, I've ended up getting in better shape because when all of this went down, I immediately ran out and bought a rower and I've really taken to that. Fantastic workout - I'm usually at 7,900-8,200 meters in thirty minutes and I feel pretty worked. I managed a sub-7 minute 2,000, so I'm getting pretty decent quickly and haven't slacked off with no running!

My knee felt much better after three months of rowing for cardio, so I gave running a shot a few weeks ago. I made 3.5 miles quickly and easily, no pain at all during the run or the rest of the evening after. It stung a bit the next morning and it has been a bit tender if I try to run now. Calves were angry for days, haha!

Anyway, clearly not the end of my fitness world, but I do enjoy running and want to get back to it. Only problem is the Doc can't be sure if he'll fix it or shave it until he's in there, and the former carries a restrictive six-week recovery period I am not able or willing to accept. I have to be able to practice and play drums, run after a three-year-old, and work out (I will NOT turn into a blob for ANYTHING.)

Anyone else dealing/dealt with this? 90% of the time I don't even know its there. I understand the shaving carries an added risk of osteoarthritis, but I'm wondering if injections, etc. may mitigate that risk - even if they have to be performed consistently after shaving I'd be OK with it.

Be careful with those pistol squats I was peddling a while back :D (It could just as easily have been the box jumps or simply cumulative I suppose)

2. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I tore my left meniscus Oct 2019, diagnosed as "acute medial tear." I went from running 70 miles a week to not being able to run 70 feet. I was trying to improve leg strength with squats. I didn't have surgery (doctor's actual words: "surgery won't help you), but re-habbed for about three months on a stationary bike. When I first started on the stationary bike I could hear my knee clicking and I would stop when it hurt, but over time the clicking stopped and the pain went away. I still have some instability in my left knee on down hills and wear a compression sleeve when I run, but it's been close to 5,500 miles since then (https://www.strava.com/athletes/23492053) so it is definitely possible to come back from a torn meniscus without surgery. The key I have been told by doctor friends (who recommended against surgery) was the blood flow I was able to get through my knee from the stationary bike.

It's a tough injury, hope you figure out what works best for you.

Rob

3. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Living it right now - right knee started to bother me last May - I'm not a big runner, but will go out and jog / walk 5-6 miles if the weather is nice out. Anyway, get a consult, because I think it's torn ( my left knee had a tear and was scoped in 2013 ) - surgeon doesn't think it's torn and tells me to take it easy for a few weeks. Knee felt good all summer. Started to bother me in November, had MRI in December, and consult in January - right knee has small tear but middle and posterior, so would be a bigger surgery - 6 weeks in crutches and I think 4 months rehab. Doc doesn't recommend surgery and I'm not a big runner anyway. It doesn't bother me at all with biking or walking, just running. I'm 48 and just want to be able to be active.

I go in tomorrow for a "gate study" - basically they will put me on a treadmill and video me walking and running - with and without shoes on. I've worn orthothotics for decades. Hopefully, adjusting those will take care of the problem. They also mentioned a knee brace. Will report back.

MDS

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, guys!

You both strengthen my position that I most likely do not need surgical intervention. I don't have anywhere near the symptoms you describe @rob5819 and haven't been asked to do such a study @mikesufka.

I went out and did another 3.5+ at a good clip and it felt great. I preemptively iced the knee when I finished and have not had a single pang of pain or any swelling since.

I'm going to cautiously proceed with one or two runs a week and weights or rowing on off days. Seems to be working so far!

Best of luck with your respective injuries and tests; it does suck. When this thing started to really hit me it was miserable, couldn't even sleep.

5. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Before surgery, please have a serious look at BPC 157. It’s a peptide ‘ for research purposes’ that has been used in plenty of clinics and doctors globally. Have used it myself to treat my tendonitis in my right arm. Do a quick search and you’ll read wonderful experiences with it. It’s not a steroid and one could argue if it’s a drug. Surgery should always be your last resort….

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I agree 100%. I'll check that out!

Supposedly, mine will not heal...but I swear that's what is happening. I ran 4.5 miles last night without so much as a ping. Did a full leg routine the night before. All good!

Maximus1973 likes this.