Anyone else pick up GTA: San Andreas ?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone else pick up GTA: San Andreas ??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Oct 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do you suffer from "Console Rage"????

2. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    ;) I bought it for PS2 just to have it early, but I do look foward more to the Xbox version (much better)

3. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Oh there is always time for fun while still keeping the grades up :)

4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    Here's the problem! ;)

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Is it really better than Vice city ? Vice city was ok. But i wont be getting san andrea if its not much better than VC. The graphics were poor in VC.

6. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    The concept of GTA is more based on gameplay than super impressive graphics. San Andreas has *improved* graphics over VC, but no, it's not going to blow you out of your Lazy-Boy.

7. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Haven't owned a console since the Super Nintendo. I do of course happily admit there are many great games for consoles, and games that are only good on consoles. Things like fighting games, or even sports games. Some games cause me to regret not owning one of the newer consoles (soul caliber II for instance). But a properly equipped computer is always going to be better than a console system for just about any genre of game out there.

8. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I'll be getting it once I have the money for it and a new memory card. Stupid Blockbuster rentals eating all my money :)

I have to get it secretly as my parents dont like the GTA series, but its not a problem as they never go in my room unless Im in there. I doubt Ill be getting it for a few days anyway as almost all the stores are sold out.

I loved Vice City despite its lack of interesting terrain, and played GTA3 to death on the computer untill it died a horrible death, so theres no chance I wont enjoy this game.
    Sadly, several of my friends have their copies (preordering fools) and are currently showing off.

9. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL

Much more interesting terrain in this one. Graphics are also noticably improved, though I wouldn't say it is a drastic improvement. Much more variety in terms of cars/bikes available. I would say the biggest different is how BIG the game is. There are three cities, and the first city alone is easily bigger than either of the other entire GAMES.

The other thing I noticed (or, more accurately, my wife noticed) is that the language in this game is FILTHY! Constant barrage of f*ck and motherf*cker, so you teens might want to keep it away from your parents (and you men might want to keep it away from your wives!)

10. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    Im getting my copy this weekend, i cant wait the game looks awsome, my friends have it and say its the best game ever... until GT4

11. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Ah, yes, GT4. Awaiting that game quite anxiously.

I will be looking for San Andreas this weekend.

Here are available cheats for the game, if anyone wants them;
    http://www.gamewinners.com/playstation2/GrandTheftAutoSanAndreas.htm

If you scroll down the page, there are cheats for missions, locations, and misc.

12. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    same here. my chick went to kmart and bought it for me. that evening she went back to do other stuff while i was busy, and noticed it wasn't there anymore. she asked if it had already sold out, and she came back saying that the game had been banned. :D

of course it came out again a few weeks later or something, but my little bro and his mates wanted to borrow my version because you could bump-uglies with hoes in it but couldn't in his.

was that the only difference? coz sure, it was amusing the first time, and the sort of thing you do when mates are around for a larf, but i wouldn't have cared if it wasn't there. so long as i was still able to back over some skank with "Take These Broken Wings" blaring in the background, or singing along to "Africa" as i flew around at sunset. aah, those were the days. :)

so is GTA:SA out in oz yet? i haven't had a chance to look, i thought it wasn't due until xmas or something so was surprised when i saw this thread.

sadly, it's like 1am, so i can't go and buy it anywhere. :(

13. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I'm also a Halo diehard and happily got a reserved copy last week!

14. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

The concept didnt evolve htat much between GTA3 and VC ..thats why im still undecided about picking SA. I dont really play video games anymore so it really has to be smthg amazing for me to plug my PS2 again ( if i can find it .. ) .

15. jonesn

jonesn Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    STL-MO
    Full Name:
    Evan "Trouble" Jones
    They need to make a game for you where the entire concept of the game is driving your Alfa Romeo Spyder around Paris picking up hot blondes from the park to take back to your pad and........... :)

16. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    This game is absolutely raw. Not as groundbreaking as VC, but it plays nicely and the cutscenes are relatively authentic westside gangsta ****

17. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

LOL . I have been trying to sell this concept to Sony but they tell me to **** off ! Bah ..IRL its better even if its costier :)

18. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

VC, groundbreaking, whhaaa?????

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    They have one already: Leisure Suit Larry. It's out on Xbox.

20. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes - the gameplay was elevated far beyond GTA3 (don't even talk about 1&2). The story, location, characters, time period, music, graphics, scripts, voice actors, and overall feel were all so well integrated that the game played like a movie with days of extras to entertain you after you'd beaten it. What other game can you compare it to?

21. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

GTA:3

Vice City is nothing more than GTA:3 in a new location with a better, more integrated, story line. The game-play remains the same with some minor touch-ups (shooting wheels) and the mission system became a bit more free-form. But none of the changes made is revolutionary. GTA:3 was revolutionary, GTA:VC is just a minor evolution of GTA:3.

And besides, the story-line of GTA:3 is just a rip-off of Scarface anyway.

Oh and it could also be compared to these games... though not quite as directly.

Elite
    Elite Plus
    Pirates
    Pirates Gold
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    WC: Privateer
    Freelancer

Though these games are quite a bit more free-form than VC.

22. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    I have never even heard of those games, so I cannot comment on that, but to me GTA3 was basically the same as 1 and 2 in gameplay and story, but with modern 3D graphics. VC was revolutionary in it's refinement and integration - not necessarily one particular aspect. And in that respect it kills anything I have ever played, setting the bar for how future games should be judged.

23. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Exactly, your game experience is too limited to be commenting about "revolutionary" games when virtually all of the things done in Vice City have been done before.

The game-play of GTA:3

Run around the map getting X, killing X, doing X, visiting X

The game-play of VC

Run around the map getting X, killing X< doing X, visiting X.

Please tell me what the differences between VC and GTA:3 are in game-play? The only things I can think of is that the mission system is new, but not that important when it comes to "Revolutionary" and that you can ride motorcycles and blow out tires and oh yeah... they added a lot more cutscenes.. which have absolutely nothing to do with game-play...

Basically, It seems your gaming experience is either limited solely to consoles, or only the most recent computer-games. All the games I mentioned back there were between 1986-1995 except for Freelancer and PotC which are only a few years old.

24. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    It's the overall experience - something that cannot be easily written in words. By mentioning the titles of games (from 10-20 years ago?!?) you bring nothing to the discussion. If you're interested in proving who is the bigger video game nerd, I have no claim to stake.

25. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    LOL I just walked in Best Buy and picked it up.