Anyone else pick up GTA: San Andreas ?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone else pick up GTA: San Andreas ??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by damcgee, Oct 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ash
    Its out today!

2. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I mention these games because they have all done at least one of the things done in VC, and one like Freelancer does basically all of them in a different format. So have other games over the past.

Basically, VC did almost nothing new, its basic game-play is taken from GTA:3, and the "Experience" you describe is just tacking on cut-scenes and a ripped off story line. Its a great game, but it is not something revolutionary. GTA:3 was the revolutionary game, VC evolved on that same idea.

3. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John

The experience I describe is everything I already said. It is not about the cut-scenes only (although those are nicely integrated). I don't judge games based on one particular part of the software. Like any successful piece of art the whole is more than the sum of the parts, and VC is exactly that. When I play GTA3 I feel like I'm playing a game (albeit a very good one). With VC, I'm in the game.

It's all about where the (even minor) upgrades take the game. It's a minor distinction - Example i do not consider the C6 corvette to be groundbreaking, but the Porsche 997 is.

4. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just bought it. Damn i cant wait to get home!

5. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    goddit. :)

played for a bit... it's like being in Boyz N The Hood or something... sure missin those 80's tracks. :(

so far my favourite manouvre is to stand on a cop car while they patrol for a while, see the sights. then when you're bored you stomp on the bonnet (circle/punch), the cops stop and get out the car, you pull out your can o' paint and give them a dye-witness sprayin, then while they're flailing and writhing you take a photo. :D

the first voice i heard was samual L jackson... at least i think it was, now that's sweet. but yes, for those wondering, there's a lot of F and MF and N words, like i said, boyz n d hood style, or whatever that is to a bass-ackward aussie like me.

6. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I just finished all the groce street stuff. Where the hell do i go now?
    I just finished the Army Depot mission...

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Bought it. As i thought , its good but not OMFG good.

Looks more like a VC 2.0 than a new game.

8. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I just rented it from Blockbuster, and im really impressed with it. Its great, i was totally not expecting all the cursing but i like it.

9. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    well, it's gonna suck a heckuva lot of time outta my life over the next month. :)

once you get used to the "hey homie" stylin it's good. the driving physics model has been improved, allowing for a lot cooler driving styles, more akin to the game Driver, but still with a more arcadish feel. and the general fighting is good now too.

i love the cinematic cam, it's great. sadly it's difficult to drive like that. :(

i must have been bollocksing about spraying then photographing, as i can't seem to pick them both up now... hmm. but you can still kneecap someone and make it a kodak moment. :)

and get this... i found a 2-player part of the game. :D there's this red icon in the door of a general store, i walked over it and it said "press a button on stick #2". i had no idea what was going on, so i put it in, and you get to choose another dude. sadly i lack the dexterity to play both at once, so i made them have a punch up until they were nearly both dead, then got them both in a convertible and took it over a cliff Thelma & Loiuse style, drowned the suckers. :D

oh... one more thing, if you do the 2 player thing, make the second dude a chick. when they're close they tend to hug and kiss, really graphicly... eeew.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Did you ever see Scarface? GTA3 did an amazing job of exactly what you are saying about VC, namely put you 'in the movie.'

11. ferrari fernatic

BANNED

Apr 12, 2004
    london
    Full Name:
    Fawad
    too right:D

12. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have troubles understanding what they say..:) Im not gangsta enough.

13. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sweetest game I've EVER played!! Well, that and Blitz 2003. :D

14. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    This game ROCKS. Cruising is really fun...

15. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    How far are you guys?

I'm 23 hours~ 33%~.

Those zero missions are pissing me off!

16. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    This truley is the Boys in the Hood, New Jack City, Friday, Do the right Thing, etc..video game of all time. I'm impressed just from the soundtrack alone.

17. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    So far, I'm at 8 hours, 11% . Definatly better then Vice City. The pimping missions are fun , especially when the hookers pay you for their "servicing" .

18. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love the BMX ..and the way i dressed him..he looks like a cowboy :)

19. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    i'm running around in underpants, cowboy boots, and a ninja mask.

wot? you gots a problem homie?

20. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    My copy of San Andreas should arrive tomorrow. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

21. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I noticed yesterday at Sam's wholesale club copies are being sold at $44.99 now.

22. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #72 FarmerDave, Nov 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Heres a Hint for all you guys....

ZEROS MISSIONS ARE NOT COMPULSORY

Thank god.
    Anyone finish Supply Lines?

24. ashsimmonds

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    man, that frickin FIRST one sucks, shooting down all those planes. every time in the last ten seconds he'd be like "noooooooo" and i'd have to do it again. in the end i gave up and went and did other stuff. don't tell me they get harder?

oh, as for girlfriends, anyone get anywhere with that nurse chick? the first chick was easy, she loved everything you did. this new chick, not so much. after the SIXTH unsuccessful date where she whined at me i ended up giving her a round-house to the face. :D then i took her on another date, but just drove to the pier and bailed and the edge so she fell in with the car. can't get rid of her. :)

oh, my new favourite trick is to go to one of the fast freeways, dump a car in the middle and just watch the pile-up. usually within a minute or so you'll have dozens of cars exploding. :)

25. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I took out the first girlfriend (Denise) on a date.....
    Got into a turf war with the ballers and someone shot her....
    I never got her back......