Anyone else scratching their heads? | FerrariChat

Anyone else scratching their heads?

Discussion in '612/599' started by ttforcefed, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Nice, and rare, color, but otherwise pretty much a stripper 2005 612 worth $80K-$90K if it had the usual F1 paddle shifter tranny instead of three pedals. Each to their own, of course, but the RM buyer paid a $230,000+ premium (adding a 10 percent fee to the $295,000 high bid reported by RM) for the third pedal and shift lever. I understand that some may prefer a manual to the older F1 flappy paddles, but I will take my 612 OTO with its Superfast 1 transmission any day of the week over either.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Manuals just have a timeless appeal, whereas the F1 tech, with all its strengths and weaknesses, feels massively outdated now.

I’m sitting here buzzing after just getting back from a cracking drive around some country roads in my converted 612 manual. I can honestly say that the experience I had today just doesn’t compare to doing the same route 12 months ago with the F1 transmission. Not only is it smoother, but it’s such a rich and rewarding experience to row the gears in a big v12. Unquestionably slower point to point than an F1 car, but I couldn’t give a monkey’s.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    That was a 150 to 200k car on the high side.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Personnally I could think of hundreds of better ways to spend that money, but that's indeed personal.

5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

For 300k u have a stradale and a Testarossa !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH and Texas Forever like this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Or lots of other cars. I like others hear love my 612 OTO and wouldn’t think of trading. Have owned many 3 pedal cars and still have one but not longing for any more, especially at those prices for stripper car.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Timeless?

I'm not sure about that... Pretty soon the only people left with money won't be able to drive a manual...

I'm serious. It used to be a joke but this electric car thing is catching on... And transmissions are a dodo bird.

8. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What might it have gone for if it was a conversion? Mike

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    A lot less, that's for sure.

Manuals are timeless in the same way horses are. Yes, they are largely irrelevant as a mode of transport now, but they will always have their place an as important part of history for which there will always be a small but passionate group of enthusiasts. Such passion will always transcend logic.

Anthony James likes this.