Anyone ever meet Enzo? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone ever meet Enzo?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Aug 23, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    some good reading here.

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Thanks for the stories :)

The best I can do is being in Italy when he was alive :eek:

3. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA

That's a great story. With something you gave, and him hanging it in his house, it would be like always, being, in his sight. And to have art be the target he truly enjoyed, well I feel it doesn't get better than that

rik

4. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry about the spelling if not correct. In any case thanks to all for these stories. This one though is my favorite.If my first wife had met Mr. Ferrari I might have stayed with her. It was my second wife though who talked me into buying a 328GTS in Italy and having several memorable trips driving around Italy in a Ferrari. I wouldn't have traded this for anything. Yes even meeting "you know who". just one man's opinion tongascrew

5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    An interesting sidelight on Mr. Ferrari's "Commendatore" title: I once mentioned to Brenda Vernor, after Mr. Ferrari's death, that my maternal grandfather had been granted the honorary title "Commendatore" by the Italian government in 1961, with several others, in a presentation by Antonio Segni at the Italian Consulate in NYC. Brenda noted that Mr. Ferrari did not like the term "Commendatore," believing it to be associated with the Italian Fascisti of the WW II era. Instead, he preferred to be called "Ingegnere," although I don't believe that he actually held an engineering degree. Fred

6. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    Some really great stories in here. Thanks, everyone, for sharing.

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Fred is right, Enzo did not like the title that so many used. In Italy, one cannot go wrong using "Dottore", meaning in the broad sense one who has an education. Even the lawyers go by "Dottore" rather than "Avvocato". I don't know whether or not Enzo had an engineering degree, but it was clearly his appelation of choice.

8. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    In 1987 I was a participant in the Mille Miglia with my 166MM. At the Modena checkpoint, Ferrari factory, Enzo was seated at strategic vantage point to watch all the cars being stamped through. I was asked to pull the car to the side and then brought over with my navigator (my dad) to meet Enzo (not how I greeted him). I told him that I was honored to both meet him and to drive his car in the MM and in vintage races in the US. Through translation he told me that he was pleased to see the car being used as intended, and that he was very fond of the 166MM. I hate to admit it but I then asked for his autograph which he obliged and then it was off to the races again. Over the years I owned that car it provided "introductions" to nearly every great driver I could have imagined wanting to meet, and a few that I came to know. Great fun! Cheers, George

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I recall an Honorary one being granted, IIRC.......

10. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Yes, Gozzi documents that in his book, "memoirs..."

11. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    I have been fortunate to meet Mr Ferrari several times; the first time was in 1959 (I was 9 yrs old) when my father took me to the factory during our summer vacation on the Italian coast.
    We had long drive in a............DAF 600 (prototype) that my father had for a 25.000km test.
    I remember having lunch with my dad and Piero Taruffi in Modena before going to the factory where Mr Ferrari and a number of technicians put the DAF on a bridge to look at the Variomatic system.
    We were shown the racing department and Enzo gave me a plastic model of the 246 Dino Formula 1 car which I still have!
    While in Modena at the Viale Trente e Trieste building, I remember seeing a number of obsolete sports-racing cars, probably Mondials or Monza's, stacked one on top of another.....

Another model he gave me was a 1:18 312 B3 many years later (still got that one too) during a visit after a LONG wait.........
    Gozzi (a wonderful man) was very apologetic for keeping us waiting.

12. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Some truly amazing stories here, thanks everyone for sharing. For me his spirit lives on everytime I climb into a Ferrari.

13. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Thank you for sharing. If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of the two model cars.

Regards

14. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes please!

15. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    My late friend 'Doc' Postlethwaite told me once about The Old Man asking him to hang around at the Mille Miglia retro stop in which he would place the Papal seal upon participants' road books, or whatever it was he did there.

Apparently at one point he called 'Doc' over and muttered out of the corner of his mouth "What's the matter with all these lunatics with their old scrap cars? Why don't they spend all their money on our new ones?". Evidently, he never quite wrapped his mind around the commercial potential of 'Classiche'.

Unlike the buggers who run his creation today...

DCN

16. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus

:)

17. UAS

UAS Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2008
    Glen Cove, NY
    I know that some people here know Brenda Vernor. What are the chances of getting her to register here and tell us a story or two...?

18. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Great thread....glad I stopped in. My father was my hero, but Enzo Ferrari was his.

19. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    +3

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I am a big fan of true balsamico, Modena and have spent many a Ferrari annual fluid change expense on some from 50-75+ years old.

I understand from a reading somewhere Enzo had a bottle, per year, given him, which he kept at the restaurant: Can anyone enlignten me on the provider or balsomic he kept or other info regarding such. I understand he never really let others touch it.

rik

21. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    My father met Enzo on a couple of occasions many years ago when he was a young manager in Magneti Marelli.

I'm still angry at him for not having taken an autograph/picture...

22. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I don't know about that, but Brenda Vernor once told me that it is commonplace around Modena for people to have their own bottle of balsamic vinegar at a favorite restaurant. I believe that she in fact follows the practice at a popular restaurant near Maranello where we have had dinner several times. Fred

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    thanks--truly terrific stuff.

rik

24. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Wow, can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier. Awesome experiences everyone.

25. poppy84

poppy84 Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2005
    Italy & Paris
    Full Name:
    Andrea
    #75 poppy84, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am too young (24 yo), to have the chance to met Enzo. But my father had met Enzo once or twice in the 80s. Here's a photo of them (my father is the fourth from right) maybe in 1985 or 1986.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login