Anyone ever move across the country? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone ever move across the country?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by KevinW, Feb 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thats exacly how i feel. I've been once, 3 years ago, we drove from SF to SD (stopping by Carmel on the way and it just happened to be a special date in August.... ;) ) Now i feel like i "belong" there, i know everywhere there even though i was never in 1 place for more than 3 days (Huntington Beach) and now i just want to go back. Its such an awesome place, i want to go to college there, it would be a long way to visit family though.

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Thank you :)

3. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    It's funny you say that you feel like you "belong there" since I have always felt that way myself! Now, if only I could find a decent paying job there so I could actually be able to afford a house and get into real estate like I would like to...

4. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    My moves have all been v long distance ->

London-HK
    HK-London (after 3 years)
    London-Basel (CH)
    Basel-London (after 1 year)
    London-Tokyo
    Tokyo-London (after 3 years)
    London-Boston (2 1/2 years ago)

The last time I moved and did it myself was a move within London and it was a major league aggrivation. All I can say is IMHO its worth paying someone to pack and move your stuff - I'd at least get a few quotes (ex-unpacking), you might be surpised since you don't have a houseful of stuff. I'd guess you'd get by for less than 1K (vs 5-10K for a trans-continental move).

However as a veteran of several moves, I'm sure my F-chat brothers will be pleased to know that there are at least 200 car magazines that have made the entire set of above journey's with me - including my personal fave the 1984 Car with the 288GTO drive :)

5. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Just do the u-haul trip. It will be an adventure with tall tails for years to come, you will be responsible for your own breakage, you wont have last minute addtional charges,and it will be less costly. I have done it twice and loved every minute. Buy microsoft streets and trips and plan with it, then buy a road atlas and have a ball. you dont need to coordinate stops for your truck, every major intersection is surounded by motels with lots of parking. See the grand canyon. DO IT.

6. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I was talking to my tax advisor this morning and I happened to mention your quandary. I explained your situation as best as I understood it.

It was recommended that keep all your receipts because when taxes come due next year you can write off all of your expenses. (lodging, meals, packing supplies, rental fees, everything)

Just to be on the safe side double check with who ever does your taxes.

7. KevinW

KevinW Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey thanks...I appreciate that! I'm going to ask my accountant about this and see what he says. I didn't even think about this.

8. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Not a problem! That is what we are here for, brother.

9. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    #1 throw away all your junk before you move. not when you get where you are going.

#2 if you drive, take it easy. a trucker once told me how many rentals wind up in big accidents. novices with too little sleep, pushing it too far.

#3 try and get off the interstate, if only for a little bit. it is a great county out there, and you wont be back anytime soon. most of it is hidden beyond interstate rest stops, stuckey's and mcdonalds...

#4 (related to #1) try not to use one of those monthly storage units - throw the stuff out or find willing family - the rental really ads up!