DFW - Anyone from S Cal who moved to Dallas area? | FerrariChat

DFW Anyone from S Cal who moved to Dallas area?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by DiamondDog, Nov 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I would love to Speak to you about your experience in moving to and living inTexas. This Texas forum alone seems to be so much better than the S Cal forum. Lots of activities, a super cool dealer that is heavily involved with the FC members.

We really want a modern looking home. Texas's idea of modern seems a lot different than S Cal. Don't quite know what are the best areas I should be looking at

Want to hear the good and bad from the perspective of a transplant a d F Car owner as we probably have other similarities.

Wife will be out in Dallas. tommorow checking some things out.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Based in Dallas almost my entire life, so I won’t be able to provide the California perspective

But if you can define or maybe post two or three pictures of what you consider modern to be, I’d be more than happy to steer you in the right direction regarding areas that may fit your needs!

….happy to help if I can,

Steve

DiamondDog likes this.
  3. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The more urban areas have condos and apartments that have modern style. Single family homes with what I think of as modern style (sharp lines, low roof lines) are pretty rare in the burbs since most home are not custom built and cater to traditional tastes so the developers can move them quickly.

Texas Forever and DiamondDog like this.
  4. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Single story, lots of glass. No brick or stone. Clean lines. 3000 sq ft or so, 3 to 4 car garage 4 bedroom. We are in our 50s and just two of us.

More of a red vs blue as far as politics. Nice, like minded people.

May have to build. Just don't know where. People keep telling us N Texas. But that's a lot to narrow down.

We either work from home or fly to locations for work

Here is an example. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat View attachment 3233199

5. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
  6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Pre-COVID, DFW airport would get you to most states and countries nonstop, and with low taxes is probably why so many companies have a major business presence in the Dallas area. For the size you’re looking for, you might be happiest finding a few acres outside of the city with a lake or hill view. Otherwise you’ll be looking for a while I think. The winter can be harsh for a few days at a time there and the roads aren’t generally very fun so after about 10 years in the area I moved to Austin but we still like to visit DFW since it has more cultural activity. Just find someplace else to be for the random week that winter chooses to hit :)

DiamondDog likes this.
  7. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    There are several builders in Dallas doing Modern Homes in the 3,000 - 4,000 foot range. Don't remember the names, but any local realtor should know them. F/chat's Speedracerette is one of the best agents out there, and would be a great person to contact. They go as F1 Real Estate group, and her name is Frances Kwan.

Texas Forever and DiamondDog like this.
  8. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Any California transplants want to talk to me honestly about things they like and dislike and things I should be prepared to adjust ?

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Only one rule. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ralfabco, dinogt4guy, mathewr and 8 others like this.
  10. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Totally. (That's how S Cal people talk)

Don't worry, we love Brandon and Brandon told us we should move to Texas.

Texas Forever, Du_Man and cycloneGTS like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ha, Austin is probably worse than California now, but that is mostly because not many Texans still in Austin. Despite the stereotypes and media bias, we're a pretty diverse accepting state. Mind your own business and we don't care, there are many things that shouldn't be progressed.

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  12. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Are there sushi bars in N Dallas that are run by Japanese and are traditional and good (none of these roll places where there is cream cheese, jalpenos, BBQ sauce, etc)? Those places tend to be run by the Korean community and it's not even sushi at that point.

It's all about the fish and the technique in preparation and the tradition. (See Jiro Dreams of Sushi on Netflix or Youtube)

I heard there is an area where Toyota and other Japanese companies have offices and the restaurants around there are Japenese owned and cater to Japanese. Anyone familiar?

In addition, not necessarily sushi, but I know Houston has a huge "Chinatown". We have Little,Saigon. Areas where there are predominantly Asian(all types) supermarkets and restaurants. Does Dallas have that and where is it? Or are there multiple areas?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm sure there have to be some 100% authentic Japanese sushi places. We have one here local in Southlake, not a 5-star place, but owners and the chefs are all Japanese.

My girlfriend is Chinese, so we're pretty up on all the authentic Chinese places. A little more rare and they are hole in the wall places, but they do it right. She has weaned me off American Chinese. :)

Not a China town, but in Carrolton there is an Asian area. We were just there Saturday to buy everything for a hot pot night. It has an H-mart and tons of stores that each specialize in a different Asian country. We went to the Chinese grocery store, which is 25% the size of H Mart, but 100% Chinese and authentic. It is just a typical suburban strip mall type area, not too nice or not a slum.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    So your girlfriend has crabs? :D

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is the property tax rate?

16. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    In Orange County, CA my tax rate is .72 for property tax, but 11.30 for State income tax

they get you one way or another.

Gas for the Ferrari (Super) is at about 5 bucks

a dozen eggs was about 7 bucks for organic ones

cocktail in a bar are about $18.00

A combo Texas BBQ platter is about $33.00

17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i would rent the calif house and rent in tx til i knew if it was a good move.

NYC_Z06 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they bite too!

19. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Our house is too high end to rent out. Similar to how you wouldn't want to rent out your Ferrari if you wanted to come back to it

All the home automation, technology, special finishes and materials and the upkeep necessary from owners that are very careful. Renters wouldn't care and mess up things. It would stress me out and I am pretty emotionaly attached to my home. Better to part ways. Kinda of how you don't keep in touch with that girl you were in love with that you broke up with years ago.

My wife is at Bob's steakhouse in Frisco as i write this and everyone is telling her "South Lake". She loves it. She ordered a cocktail and sent me a pic. She told the waiter, "I didn't order a double" and everyone just laughed and said "that's just a regular drink in Texas". She is falling in love with texas

First time for her at Whataburger. She still, thinks iN N out is better burger than Whataburger though. Just the bun. But you have both. She says Fries are better though at Whataburger. Ha ha

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ shockingly expensive.

Ak Jim likes this.
  21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    my Townhome has gone up 45% in less than 3 years. Top school district, no lockdowns, big acreage lots, 5 miles to DFW airport, 1 mile to lake, in the middle between downtown Dallas and Ft. Worth.

22. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Southlake is where you’d want to be. Rob is basically a native, his first house there was a small step above a shack with a lean-to in the back yard for the Ferrari. For real.

House two had an amazing lot with a nice house. Rob turned it into an amazing lot with an amazing house.

House three is right smack-dab in the middle of EVERYTHING! It’s quite literally nearly as easy to walk as it is to drive to many cool places. And there’s a Bob’s Steak and Chop House not far away.

Too bad Texas is closed. I hear Denver is nice? ;)

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    You can kiss Texas goodbye........the parasites destroyed their host and they’re coming here in full force.

mathewr, WJHMH and jimpo1 like this.