anyone go from a 360 to 430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

anyone go from a 360 to 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaspyder360, Jan 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    I went from a porsche speed yellow (6 speed) 996 c4 cab that was modded out (wheels, lowered, exhaust, GT2 front, blah blah). I started looking in January 2006 for a ferrari. The 430 was over $100k over sticker which equals $330k ish at the time. I drove both a 430 and then a 360 spider, I thought that for the difference in price the 360 was one hell of a car and I like the look of the 360 over the 430. The 360 looks lower and wider and has better lines IMO.

I purchased a 2002 F1 360 red/tan in april 2006 spider and then added wheels, tubi ngt exhaust, hyper flow cats, changed the exhaust tips, lowered the car, installed a stereo, painted the brakes to match the shields, painted the paddles red, clear bra and still have money left over for gas : )

If you are NOT going to race the car on the track and just want to have fun, the 360 is a fantastic value. AND you still get treated like a celeb and the VIP treatment every where you go. Crap a buddy purchased a 348 in the $40's and added wheels and his car was even more exotic because it is not as common as the 360 and 430's. A ferrari is a ferrai - PERIOD

I drove with the caravan this past weekend to supercar weekend and had no problems keepin up the 430's, and Lambo's. The cars are all extremely fast, no matter whcih car you get and you or I will really never get the full benefit of the difference in power with our driving experience. Even Martin would not really benefit from the performance and he has a ton of track time.

How fast are your REALLY going to go on the street ??? ??? My 360 can go just as fast as any of the exotics that you are considering and at 165 (on the track of course) does it really matter how long it took to get there ??? you are talking about hundreds of seconds. WHO REALLY CARES ???

life is a jouney, enjoy the ride and no matter what you get, a ferrari (any) is about the experience, not how fast it is. IMHO

hopes this helps.

2. bocaspyder360

bocaspyder360 Karting

Jan 18, 2008
    HI robertm would luv to see some photos of your car.. its sounds sweet... I was at supercar weekend did u drive your car in?

Larry

3. Bandorka

Bandorka Karting

Oct 9, 2007
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    András
    If you can fart like a 430 sounds...

I just do NOT want to be there when you let it go....

:)

4. Jompen

Jompen Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    'This is the main reason I´m considering a CS instead of a 430... 430 sounds like **** in comparison to a 360.

5. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    My 360 with original exhaust sounded like the fart can, but now with Tubi it is awesome. The Ferrari shop manager said when I picked up the car after the switch, "Now it sounds like a Ferrari!"

6. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Are you tone deaf? The 360, even in standard form sounds great. OK, below 3000 RPM before the valves open up, it sounds a little tame, but a fart can....no way. Just disconnect the valves and, hey presto, an orchestra! I've never heard anybody comment on the "fart can" sound of my standard 'zorst!

vm3, do you also cross-dress? ;)

7. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    #32 RobertM, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Larry,
    Attached is a photo that was taken by Jasen last weekend at SuperCar weekend (the photo is in the in the Florida forum under pics for supercar etc). Do you rememner the machine ??? I was parked all the way down by the south entrance, next to the Blue NSX and the yellow 360. Let me know if you would like more pics.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. highway

highway Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I personally perfer the higher pitched sound on the 360. The 430 feels a little tighter in the steering response, but not much. The biggest improvement is the F1 System. Other than that, I think the 360 is better looking, and a better value. Being able to drive either whenever can spoil ones view I guess.

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 430 is significantly faster , with much more torque...the steering response and handling is better and the chassis is tighter...the interior is much better designed and better looking...the manual trannies are the same, but the f1 on the 430 is much better and faster than the 360....with that said, the 360 is better value, being about 100k$ less than a comparable 430.....but the cars are in different leagues in terms of performance and even feel....

10. jbdmd

jbdmd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Doc Jay
    now that is dang funny!!

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Maybe this question to answer your question to answer another question might give a better view to your original question...

How many have gone or would consider going from F430 to 360Modena, with so many pros on the 360s side as it is a lot cheaper than a F430?

12. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Actually, me. I'm thinking of going back to a 360 CS. My brand new F430 F1 Spider doesn’t do anything for me. Especially the F1. It’s just too refined for my taste (the entire car). The 430’s F1 (at least mine), still does dumb things around town. It’s way better than the 360’s F1, but I’ll take the 360 CS’s F1 or any stick.

I also just don’t care for the F430’s sound compared to my 360s with Capristos. Doesn’t sound right. Doesn’t sound like Ferrari lineage. My opinion.

I will admit my F40 has a lot to do with my opinions on the F430. I need something more raw than the F430. Thus the 360 CS, or maybe a 430 CS at some point. Or, maybe a beater F40. One can always use 2 F40s, eh?

Tim

13. RobertM

RobertM Formula 3

Apr 17, 2005
    Weston, Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert M
    now to REALLY stir up the pot !!! You can always get a 360 Euro car, they are 80% of the value of the US cars. Those are big numbers when your in the $$$$ nums we are talking about.

The benefit to a US car is the warranty, but since the warranty has expired, well it really does not matter now. I have a couple of friends that have euro 360's and until they pointed out the differences, I would have never noticed the slight body changes.

Just a thought to make you go hmmmmmmm

on another note:
    Is the 430 faster than a 360 YES YES YES, But the 360 is freakin fast as it is.

It is not like comparing a 355 to a 360. They are worlds apart. Not even CLOSE. However I perfer the lines of the 355 over any of the ferrari's (enzo does not count, it is not in my price range today - but in 3 to 4 years, well - than yes I am going to be looking for a enzo : ))

I only wanted a spider and the 355 has to have the boot installled, the 360 is just a button away to being topless and the performace is huge between the 2. SO I settled for a 360 : )

The sound of the tubi NGT with hyper flow cats on the 360 is amazing. just amazing and is a huge part of the experience.

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    in terms of performance, the 430 is bigger jump from the 360 than the 360 was from the 355....Ferrari only added 20more hp for the 360 vs the 355, whereas the 430 has 88more hp...not to mention the adjustable steering wheel controls for throttle and suspension, the tighter chassis, the e-differential, etc............

15. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My F430 not only *is* faster than my 360, but it *feels* faster, way faster. It can spank my 360 without a second thought. I prefer the 360 suspension feel, however, as the 430's feels way too soft, even in race mode. - Tim

16. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    Hey Tim... on an unrelated note.. do you work at Microsoft? :)

~shahedc

17. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ha! I did, for 6 weeks. But, you'd have to buy me a beer to hear the rest of the story... ;-}

18. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I just want to share my personal experience with the 360 (coupe) in order to really drive home the point that not only is the 360 not slow; it is very fast.

I have quite a bit of experience driving on the autobahns of Germany in some of the fastest cars in the world. In particular, I have driven a Porsche 996 Turbo quite a bit on those roads. My speed record was 168. I was actually scared to go any faster since the Porsche at those speeds is like driving a brick.

Anyway, the Porsche 996 Turbo is one of the fastest cars on the planet. It is an absolute rocketship. It has a reputation for being much faster than a measly old 360 Modena.

Not so. The 360 is faster at high speed. From 130 miles/hour, the 360 will take the Porsche. The 360 is insanely fast at those speeds because the engine just keeps pulling and screaming until that 8500 RPM redline. In fifth gear, the 360 is especially jaw-dropping fast. I redlined the 360 in fifth gear (!!!) at 160 miles/hour and let me tell you that thing just kept pulling until 180 (when I had to slow down). No problem. I wasn't scared like I was in the Porsche since the 360 slips through the air much more nicely.

The Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG is also a rocketship, and especially on the autobahns. It is insanely fast. The 360 is faster. It just keeps pulling.

I know that for street driving all this is wholly irrelevant; but I just can't stand the perception that the 360 is somehow not fast. I cannot imagine a car being more fun on the autobahn. Yes, the new Porsche turbo is even faster than the 996 (I've driven the 997 turbo extensively), and yes -- the 430 is faster than the 360. But the screaming, angry, and potent sound of the 360 at those speeds is irreplaceable. The Porsce turbo is much more brutally fast than the 360; but the 360 catches up and makes you earn it by forcing you to keep pulling and pulling. It's a real thrill. Before having driven the 360 through Europe, I drove a 996 turbo a few times through Europe -- and that had been the best driving I had done in my life. Driving the 360 like a maniac through Germany and Italy was the most thrilling experience of my life. And yes -- I would take it any day over sex!

19. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    Good post, so why isn't a 360M in your "wanted cars" list?

But you haven't been with me yet! ;)

20. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Ha.

The 360 isn't listed because I've sort of been there, done that. I've got a lot of other Ferrari ground to cover first!

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    the 360 modena is a quick car but by todays standards its power to weight ratio is not is up to the levels of 430s, gallardos. vipers, z06s, porsche turbos etc....also, it lack of torque, esp at lower rpms means that if you have to work to keep the rpms up or else risk being dropped by ordinary cars...of course, this high reving is what makes the car so fun to drive, but it also contributes to the perception that the 360 is not a super fast car....

22. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    First of all, nothing is better than sex. Having said that, Having owned both cars the 430 is different and mucho faster. I would not sell my 430 and go back to a 360.

23. shahedc

shahedc Formula 3

Jun 4, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'm too far for that, but feel free to PM me the story! :)

A friend of mine from DC was flown out to MS for an all-day interview, but couldn't get a job there at that time.

Another friend of mine came from IIT in India, and completed another Master's at GWU in DC. He couldn't find a job sponsor here, so he went back to India. But then, he got a job with Microsoft in India, then he got sent to the US, where he know holds a very important position managing releases. (I think those Security Hotfixes or Windows updates or something)

~shahedc

24. alessiogiorgio

alessiogiorgio Karting

Nov 24, 2007
    Italy - Sweden
    Full Name:
    alessio giorgio
    thanks guys for your experiences on the high speed, but we that don't
    go for truck days are interested to know which
    car delivery more fun to drive and more emotions
    at the cruise and possible speeds of our roads:
    360 ?
    430 ?
    996 turbo ?
    thanks
    alex

25. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    If it rains a lot where you live, a 996TT is the dogs twitcher, otherwise it's an F car anyday :)