Anyone had chance Driving the New 2010 Camaro yet ??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone had chance Driving the New 2010 Camaro yet ???

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by deluboz, May 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I went to Connell Chevy today on Harbor Blvd. In costa Mesa. They had 3 of them. 2 SS and 1 RS. Not impressed AT ALL!!!! It just looks cheap and VERY plastic. Interior is weak. I think the Challenger SRT8 is a way better example of quality. I was waiting for this car for years. But thank god i didn't wait and bought the SRT8.

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith

to me the two cars are pretty similar. At the least the Camaro doesnt have a parts bin interior. The Challenger interior is the same as the 300, as the Magnum, as the Charger. They are all plastic. Heck 90% of all cars under $50k have plastic interiors.

I get it that it might have felt different to you, but in reality the Challenger, Mustang and Camaro have similar interiors at similar trim levels and price points.

its a matter of personal preference.

3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Disagree, big time. My buddy has a SRT-8. Not even close. The Challenger has an interior pulled right out of a Charger sedan, steering wheel, gauges etc. And it feels like your in a sedan. High windows, small windshield etc. The worst part is the cars mass and size, it's huge. I drove it twice, looks good, but the drive is IMO horrible. The Camaro interior is MUCH nicer and not a direct parts bin swap like the Dodge. Haven't driven a SS yet, just a V6, but I will soon. The V6 drove heads and heels better then the Challenger. Going by what I have read so far the Camaro SS seems like a winner. It just won Motor Trends comparo too. Challenger was last....

But we all have out opinions....

4. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    #29 BULL RUN, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
    American muscle cars have always had relatively cheap interiors. That wouldn't be objectionable to me. What would be disappointing is the feeling of driving a pillow with all the sensations dampen. That's what's wrong with all new cars. Too much refinement.

I think this last wave of retro muscle cars is like a last hurrah before we all end up driving appliances.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Was it Motor Trend the one who put up the cheapest version of the Challenger up against the SS Camaro? I saw one of the magazines do a comparison. I feel the SRT8 is a better comparison. True the SRT8 is big and heavy but IMO looks wise, the SRT* is better looking. It looks more in line with what the '70 challenger did look like. The camaro doesn't really look like the Camaros of the late 60's. I guess to each his own.

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    True to each their own. The Challenger surely looks good, but it's just missing the performance/drive. The MT test was a R/T, but it sticked for like 7K more then the SS as it is. The SRT-8 would have been like 12K more. The Camaro design team from what I read wanted '69 cues, but they did not want it to be a copy like Dodge. To me it's Camaro/Challenger/Mustang. If the Challenger drove/performed better it would be a tie with the Camaro in my eyes. They look so good in black.

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Yeah Ive seen a bunch now and terribly disappointed. In pics they look great because I dont get the sense of size...my mind tricks me into thinking its smaller. but in person...yikes...that thing looks like a tank. I would much rather have the Challenger out of all the muscle cars.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I saw one on the road also.....I'm afriad it's ugly... the waist line all but dwarfs the female drivers and the details are too busy.

It looks like Pontiac won't get a chance to do a GTO on it, as originally planned.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's the favorite trick..I paid $5K over for my last Trans Am, and then flew to Madison WI, to pick it up! LOL!

10. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you think the new Camaro is big wait until you see a Challenger....it's way bigger.

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    my friend has a challenger. it may be bigger than the camaro but its proportions make it look leaner and less 'tank-like'.

For myself the camaro is a failure. And I liked it until i saw it in person. Im sure plenty of people will enjoy theirs.

12. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Wow, talk about the opposite of everyone else ha. Everyone else I know, and every magazine article I have read states how much bigger the Challenger looks. I saw two parked next to one another Sat night at a cruise. Challenger looked huge!

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #38 TexasF355F1, May 12, 2009
    Last edited: May 12, 2009
    It's sort of funny. Because my cousin hated it in pics. Then when they came to his dealership he fell in love.

A Challenger parked next to my car one day at work. I felt like I was getting into a Mini sitting next to that thing.

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Wait a minute. Is it bad for a car to be big? Wasn't the '70 Challenger a big car??? Have you seen the 599? That's a big car compared to the?????? 575, 430, Porsche Turbo, Bugatti. I actually am happy it's a big car.

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't think it is. It's all relative.

It's the anti-american car crowd that all tend to cry about "big" cars.

16. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    New red one driving around my neighborhood last night. It is nice looking, but I wanted to buy one after seeing pictures and now after seeing one in person I no longer have the desire. Same thing could be said about the F430 though.

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Does anyone have side by side comparison pics of the production cars vs. the concept? I would be curious to see how close it is and what details got changed.

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Only things that got changed are the B-pillars, side mirrors and side marker lamps.

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    If you saw a '70 Challenger next to a '09 it would look like a Mini. You have to remember the new one is based on the LX sedan platform, so it's gonna be big.

20. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Your forgetting fatter and taller...at least so it appears. I loved the concept. The production version makes me yawn.

21. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I saw one on the street today.

At first I said "hey... there is somethign new." Within seconds I said.... they managedd to "F" up another one.

The car has that initial "there is something NEW sense", but to anyone with any sense of automotive history, that thought quickly fades.

22. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    Any word yet on what they have in mind for the inevitable Z/28? The 638 BHP LS-9 from the ZR-1 Corvette?

23. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Lipstick on a pig...IMO

I'm only 40, but a 318 Cuda had some soul, a 426 had MORE... a SB 66 Vette has soul, a 427/425 has MORE...etc.

I love the fact that they are looking back, but the people that they have in charge of "updating" the old classics don't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground.

JMWO.

In 5-10 years no one will care about the 10' camaro...it will rest beside the revamped Firebird and the worthless Stangs built from 74 on and be drive my dirt poor college kids....

Flame suit on!

24. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    According to GM the overall measurements are the same. I've seen both, they look pretty close to me. The production cars never look quite as good as the concepts due to all the government regs.

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    There never was a 318 "Cuda", just a Baracuda. While it may take a long time for the '10 Camaro to be like a '69 that's understandable. Nobody who bought a '69 thought they would be like they are now either....

I agree about the '74 Vettes. Up until the mid to late 80's they weren't much to talk about, but not to many cars were from that era.