Anyone had chance Driving the New 2010 Camaro yet ??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Anyone had chance Driving the New 2010 Camaro yet ???

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by deluboz, May 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spencer89

Spencer89 Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Rick
    #51 Spencer89, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just got back from Indy, Brother in law (GM exec) drove down in his company car,he has had it for 2 months already. A Red SS 6.2 426hp 6spd, hands me the keys and says lets go. Lots of back country roads, the acceleration is awsome, the ride is not bad and very quiet chassis. Everywhere we went people were slowing downing and waving, even the cops. While cruising past the Indy speedway we saw one of the official parade cars that they loan out to celeb types. Fun Times, Regards, Rick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #52 SMS, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    2 Day Road Test:
    On my latest trip, I decided to rent a new Camaro to thoroughly check it out. Picked a black one (of course) with a 300 hp V6 and 6 speed automatic. That was the only power option they had.

First impression was as I have seen in passing and in photos, there are great viewing angles, and some angles the apprear out of proportion. I love the aggressiveness from the front, even with the slight under-bite look. Overall it is just a bit too cartoonish to be right on, but it is I guess a nice interpretation of the 69.
    The one I had was rolling on standard 18" BF Goodrich Radial TAs. The 20" in my opinion make it look too much like a Hot Wheels car.

Once inside, the view out was fantastic. Compared to a Lamborghini. Compared to just about anything else, it was hard to see out of. The windshield pillar is so fat, and the outside mirrors are so big there is about a foot wide blind spot. After a few miles behind the wheel however, it became quite acceptable, and I quickly became comfortable with where the corners were, and remembered to hit turns at a good right angle, rather than having to do the merge type looking around.

Seating was good, ergonomics good, climate control excellent, new XM radio controls and display convenient. Seat belts great compared to new Mustangs.
    The problem with the interior is the vast use of plastic. This car was a cloth seat version, so it never smelled like a new car. It smelled like a toy factory on a hot day. You would need optional interiors. There is enough plastic on the dash and door panels alone to build a whole subcompact car. The good side of that, surprisingly, was that there was zero glare off the dash when driving into the sun. Not sure how they did that, but it was very nice.

Closing the door causes the window to slide up about an inch, so it seals up super tight. There was no wind noise at all on the highway. Very quiet and solid ride on the inside. Most new cars also can't be rode in comfortably with the window down due to wind buffeting, but this was just like an old car, you could put down the window and ride with your arm out. That was pretty nice in the evening.

Steering, Awesome. It had a direct responsive feel, not too heavy parking and not too light on the road. Not sure of the ratio, but it was quick enough. Wheel was a good size, but needed softer rim material. You may get that with an optional interior, at least I would hope.

Brakes. Excellent.

Transmission. In auto mode, un-inspiring, as would be expected from a 6. There are so many gears, you never feel it change. Once I got the Manual Sport Mode all figured out, the fun began. The car changed completely when you could rev it into the torque band and control the shifts. The paddles need to be bigger so you can be flicking them in all wheel positions. They must not think people will be using them much, so the controls are like an afterthought. So if you were turning, and wanted to grab a different gear, you have to go search for it back at 9 and 3. I got ok at that, but the target is small.

Engine. Sweet. Torquey. Rolling in first gear at 4000 rpm, mash the gas and it will spin these hugh rear tires. A 6 cylinder! It sounds good too in the upper ranges. (Thus destroying my fuel mileage) The 300 hp in sport mode trans moves the car around very well. A V8 has to be a blast, but the lighter weight of this one made the curvy roads VERY pleasant to run. I expect the best scenario will be the 6 speed real manual trans. I asked for one and they looked at me like I was from outer space. Why would someone want a clutch in a rental car?!?

Presence. Fantastic. This car upstaged everything on the road. Of course, it's probably the first one most people have seen, but you sure can't sneak around in it!
    EVERBODY waved, thumbs up, came over to talk about it. Hotel manager left the business to hang out in the parking lot. Cops waved and smiled. People would punch their friends and point so they would turn around and see it. It was cool to see so many people excited about a new American car. That will last probably until there are 20 of them in every neighborhood, but for now, it sure breeds excitement.

Back to the winding roads. I took it up to the park where they run the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The only US sanctioned Grand Prix on real public roads anymore, and after a couple passes to check out traffic and safety, I put it in manual and unleashed it on a particually nice section or two. WOW, they really got the handling, brakes, steering and roll control down pat. This was the best driving car I've been in for a long time under those conditions. Very impressive for a new US car. I was all smiles after that, then headed out for a nice dinner. Where it attracted another croud.

So 2 days later I had to drop it off. Averaged 21 mpg. It says capable of 29. Getting back in my Impala afer the flight, I realized how much more I could now see, but it felt like a canoe on stilts. Get the interior plushed up a little, and I could fall for the new Camaro. Of course for $25k, you could have a real nice 1969, and have some $ left over to be fixing it all the time.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I didn't see any for a while, then within 2 days I saw 2. I think they look great in person.

Thanks for the write up Bill.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Have not seen one in person but the pics do look great. Cheapo interior, is it overcome by the power? Nearly every report crticises steering feel. If that were fixed then all we would have to gripe about is poor vision and cheapo interior.

Tried a new stang. They say the interior is vastly improved, that means the 09 must have been unimaginable crap. Rubber was comming off on the trunk rim too. So if this is the best build quality in the usa then there is a long way to go.

Somehow I believe the camaro is going to be better built than the stang. Interiors are alterable, steering feel not, but we shall see what this car is like 3-4 years on with a bit of development, if a CTS has steering feel and great handling so can the camaro.

5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Boxerman, I actually found the weight of the steering to be delightful for my tastes. It is possible I guess that early road tests were on pre production cars, or just different tastes. OR...I just thought of this, mine was a little 6 cyl, which may have a different feel than the V8 cars. Hmmm...

One more thing, I opened the hood. Maybe I was expecting too much, but all I could see was MORE PLASTIC.
    Please Chevy, let us see the engine.

6. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Not a bad review, and that was a stripper. The SS has a nicer interior. And many other upgrades....

7. corvetteman39

corvetteman39 Karting

Feb 16, 2009
    Bartlesville, OK
    Full Name:
    Robert Bean
    They just got the yellow V6 and an orange 6.2 ltr in our small town of 10,000. I like the mean face look up front, the retro style face gauges in the dash with some futuristic's as well with the onstar and high quality stereo sytem, leather wrapped steering wheel and stick shift, firm leather seating, meaty hood and tires with polished aluminum. Very respectable looking car, but I think the dealers are going a little crazy with the peicing myself! $30,000 for the V6 and $37,650 for the V8 at our local dealership!!

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Call Jenny Craig. Larger and heavier than the 69 original is beyond absurd in 2010. This thing is a '71 Riviera, fans definitely but DOA. Double that for the Challenger, gone after 2010, imho. Collectible in thirty years though.

9. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Saw a silver RS last night at speed on the freeway; I must say it's very impressive at first view.

I especially enjoyed the muscular rear haunches and rear window/deck treatment..

Greg

10. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey Armen,

How do you like the seats in your Challenger SRT-8? Ridiculous question I know, but my father designed the seats for it. I'm not too keen on the interior itself, but I think its a lot better than the Camaro. Thanks!

I cant remember what magazine I was reading and they did a test between the Camaro SS, Challenger SRT-8, and Mustang GT. Guess which took first? The Mustang GT! I would take a Challenger SRT-8 any day. I think the Mustang GT has the best interior out of the 3, but externally, the Challenger and Mustang look a little stronger.

Chris

11. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen

Chris. I love the design of the seats and the looks. Comfort could be better. I really have no complaints. The car is alot of fun and I have done alot of little mods. already.

12. 1969 Mangusta

1969 Mangusta Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2007
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Harry
    I really wanted to like the new Camaro and I do, but not enough to pull the trigger. Got the OK from my wife but just couldn't do it. In my opinion I hope they revise the nose and rear. I just could not get past it. The rest was great and for me the profile was spot on, nice modern interpretation of a classic! Boiling eruption of power, car is true to its roots and can be respected, similarly with the SRT8. The newer Mustang is nicely polished as well. I have hung around all of them, I think they are all on par with each other. Now if there was a Cuda in the works I'd be all over it! And at heart I'm a Chevy guy!

13. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks for the reply Armen. I love the design too. I really like the size of the seat, really beefy. My father gave me a seat to keep, as of right now it's sits in my basement. I always find it funny when I stop and think think of the exclusive "Armen stable", and think about the Challenger :) I was just curious what you thought. My father really took pride in being on the Challenger and Viper seat design-team. Lol. Thanks again for the reply Armen.

Chris

14. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Bump. Since there is a Mustang review at the top. Pony car wars! :)