360 - Anyone had CS pre-2015 and bought one since? | FerrariChat

360 Anyone had CS pre-2015 and bought one since?

Discussion in '360/430' started by cs1, Dec 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    I owned 2 before 2015, last one was £80k which at the time was around $90-100k. I'd like another but as much as I love them obviously they cost more than double now for essentially the same car (any example)

Has anyone else who owned a CS before prices rose 2015 onward since wanted one again and paid at new prices? Just curious because even if you can comfortably afford newer prices, can you still justify it in your head when you've had it at lower prices before. I've heard from many older owners who take the "been there done that" approach even though they loved the car as there is plenty of choice for other cars to experience at current values.

As others have commented generally, now the "investment" motivation and speculators have really all but left the market, is it mostly brand new owners buying them now who havent owned before and kinda accept the new prices as what they are?

2. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I owned my CS from 2002 to 2011 and was never happier to sell it, love the design but SOOOOO GUTLESS below 7k rpm, the engine is a joke vs the SCUD

3. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    and would NEVER rebuy one again simply due to the weak engine, mine was even ECU tuned with Hyperflows etc

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    look at the history of the CS on the dyno, including mine, its pathetic, the only thing I can say is that it never used any oil & looked beautiful

5. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    BREAKING NEWS

20 YEAR OLD ENGINE HAS LESS POWER THAN MODERN DESIGNS

:rolleyes:

To answer the question of the thread starter, if you miss that car, then there's your answer. My 355 (sold), 550 (have), CS (have), all slower than my daily driver BMW. The BMW would even walk a Scuderia without breaking a sweat.

My 355 was the slowest out of the bunch and I've been looking for a replacement ever since I sold mine. If you enjoyed the driving characteristics of a certain model, then absolutely you should track another one down. I don't think we'll ever see CS' back down to their previous lows.

6. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    Thanks for this. Anyone on here owned pre-2015 and bought at higher prices?

7. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I thought all CS’s were made in 2004

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I understand where the OP is coming from, although for me it was a Ford GT not a CS. I first drove and considered buying a Ford GT in 2012 when a solid driver's car was $170k. But I bought something else.....I circled back to it in late 2019 when the same car was $250k (although I later found one with a couple of minor stories and more miles for $182k).

The point is you should judge a car by TODAY'S market....is a CS worth the asking price versus the other cars at a similar price point?

The best thing about knowing the historical pricing is that for this car there has been an upward climb, and is likely to continue to rise.

9. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Production started in 2003 and ended in 2004.

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    once the SCUD is 15 years old prices will skyrocket, remember the 993 Turbo, so buy now whilst they are cheap, just about everyone on earth will tell you its a better drivers car than the CS

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Really Richard? Four posts in this thread to get your point across? Seems excessive... And "pathetic" dyno numbers? Since when has 300-400 HP @ the wheels been deemed poor performing? Have you not seen cars that dyno at 50HP? Maybe 75-100? Rating a Ferrari 3.6liter V8 as underperforming is really just silly.

Stradales run 12 second 1/4 mile times. They do zero-60 in the 4 second range. Thats respectable numbers even with 2020 production cars. Take it easy and realize that while your next car after the Stradale could have been even faster, the one you got rid of was fast too.

Lastly... Better drivers car? My Carrera RS is a drivers car. But the Stradale is a unicorn for a reason. Don't let that escape you. Embrace them all for their positives. Quit wollering in your perceived negatives. What gain do you get kicking sand at your prior CS now anyhow? Its just not necessary.

-K1-, brookliner7, kes7u and 5 others like this.
  12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The funniest bit is that he is normally over critical of Scuderias, so it's nice that another group of owners is taking care of him over the Holidays...LOL

13. ihavearedferrari

ihavearedferrari F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Maybe RichardCH has had too much Xmas eggnog

one4torque likes this.
  14. cs1

cs1 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mr X
    From the look of that thread it was his first CS not his second. I was asking if anyone who owned and sold a CS prior to 2015 (circa $100k) has since bought one at the higher market level where pricing is now (circa $200k) - reason I'm asking is that its basically the same car so I'm curious if any prior owners have wanted one again so much that they've been "happy" to pay current prices. Current prices are what they are but its more of a psychological thing. Did anyone reading this own at lower level before (not just considered) and felt happy enough to buy again at new market level..?

15. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I love how you always read on the Internet "xyz car is so anemic and slow, not even enough hp/tq for my personal daily driving driving needs like merging onto the highway etc etc" and how much it contrasts with the speeds every exotic you actually see in real life is being driven.

It's like the difference between how much your average person lifts bench/squat/deadlift on the internet vs the average you actually see at the gym.

FORZA 62 and tomc like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the CS makes you grin at 20 and at 120mph.

17. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Mikestradale, Dewinator and kes7u like this.
  18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Yes. Its one of the prettiest cars in existence

19. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    +1 And then we even don't speak about the sound!

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im so tempted to buy the stick CS universal has

Dewinator and dustman like this.
  21. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I owned a CS new in 2004 and had it for 2 years. I knew when I sold it that I might regret it but I like to change out of cars and try something new.

In 2015 I decided I really missed having a CS and started looking for one. In 2016 I found a high quality example and bought it.

To my surprise, I didn’t have the same connection with the car that I did in 2004. The magnificent sound was still there, but for me the biggest drawback was the gearbox. The F1 in the car that was really exciting back in 2004 had become incredibly dated. Paddle shift tech, especially DCTs, had really marched forward and the CS was now just awkward. The take up from a rolling start required too many revs and the shifts were lethargic relative to what I had become used to. They worked great at higher revs, but not below ~5k. I like to drive my cars and as much as I LOVE the look of the CS, I decided to let go of round 2 and just move on.

I get that part of the allure of the CS is its rawness and the early gen F1 could play into that for some people, just not for me. I didn’t realize that until I spent time with the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-K1-, OrmondStar and of2worlds like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Bought a CS this year. I love it. Adore it.

I want to add another in a diff color with stripe. PM me if anyone wants to sell.

ok, that out of the way, yes, it’s special.

arizonaitalian and Dewinator like this.
  23. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    To the OP's question, which I believe is "has anyone that owned one when they were cheap and then sold it, re-entered the market at the current higher prices".

The answer is "yes" there are a few people here that have posted about buying one long ago and missing it and then getting one again. We shall see if more than the 1 above chime in.

Fwiw, the "cost" of owning a car is not the entry price in terms of capital. Its the change in price over your ownership period (plus operating costs like maint, taxes, gas, etc, etc). So buying a CS today at these prices may well cost zero if you believe they will maintain value over your ownership period. Many think that is likely. Some may disagree. Its all speculation of course. But I doubt many would disagree that a CS will hold value better than 90%++ of new cars given where it is in its life time.

Bottomline, I suspect the majority of people that loved their CS in ownership stint #1, would likely enjoy it again in ownership stint #2. (not everyone, but the majority is my guess). Most people are well aware of the relative speed of the car and the shifts and beyond that there are essentially no other complaints about the CS. Imagine that, a car that has merely two complaints against many positives? The speed (and Michael outlined the performance above nicely) and the speed of the shifts in the circa 2003 gearbox (so 18 years old). Next people will complain that manuals are slower than today's DCTs! (kidding)

Michael B likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I call BS. You are clearly biased.

I mean, after-all, the speed and shifts are not as good as a Scud or XYZ P-car of the last several years. :D

(and we all drive these F-cars flat out and break the law every moment in them and track them every other day, so that stuff matters more than literally anything else)

Dewinator likes this.