anyone here drives f-car as a daily? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

anyone here drives f-car as a daily?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by razr01, Aug 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Ha, my costco parking lot never looks that empty !

When my SWB was my daily driver there was no Costco and i did take it to the regular market :)

But I do love that you do that !!!!! Very cool

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Costco parking lots in Texas are typically very large and the parking spots roomy, so I feel better about taking one of our nice cars compared to a typical grocery store lot. Well, not really better so much as slightly less paranoid!

I do, of course, park in the furthest reaches of the lot, if at all possible, and do not let the car out of my sight. My ulterior motive is that my wife will buy less stuff there as compared to us taking the pickup truck. Her ulterior motive is that she knows I won't leave the car unattended, so she can shop in peace & quiet. 😀 Thus far, either dream is unrealized...T

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i drove my 456mgt as a daily driver from 2006 to 2014 and for 34k km.
    fun.
    to paraphrase ferris:
    “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend doing it.”

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Pfft, dat's nothing. Come down to Houston. We'll show you what the rodeo is all about. Local radio stations used to have a contest for the strangest thing to end up on the "freeways." The winner one day was a toilet.

I have never understood why anybody drives a nice car in and around Houston.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That actually wasn't me! :)

6. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    There's a big difference between paranoia and situational awareness. I had a friend and his wife almost killed when they were followed home in a TR and robbed at gun point. He said they were high on something and arguing with each other over weather or not to shoot them. Sound like fun? That was while ago and now for $20 they don't even need to follow you home...they might already be there waiting for you.

7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I used to rotate a 308, 348, TR, Mondial t and an F40 daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    What an amazing collection of cars you used to have back then mate.

It's a shame the CS is giving your grief at the moment. I had a look at your thread, there is nothing I can add at the moment but I hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers Pap

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Even if I could drive mine daily, I likely wouldn't.

10. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I daily my 308 as much as is reasonable. Sometimes its just too difficult to get it out of the garage with the other cars parked in the driveway. Right now I have to do the brakes, once those are finished its back on the road again.

PDG

11. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I daily'd my 360 for the first 2 years I owned it, drove it everywhere, parked in the UCSB parking lot daily while at work, parked at it LAX parking for a week each time, did that twice, grocery shopping, hotel parking lots, everything it was my only car (unless I was towing the boat, then I used the truck). Drove it in the rain and even took it into the snow, guess what ? F1 sucks in the snow, you can't control the clutch and it really sucks. Pics of it in the snow are posted here on FChat somewhere.

I loved it but I don't make much money and the maintenance was killing me along with the drive to the dealer which required me taking vacation days, so a BMW 335i Coupe called me into the dealer one night and explained the 7 year free maintenance warranty to me and i can walk to the BMW dealer, the 360 became a weekend toy and occasional drive to work. The thing I learned about daily driving the 360 is that most people respect the car, I didn't have any door dings and most people were careful parking next to it. They also liked it when I told their kids they could go get in the car at my favorite Taco joint, it was unlocked in the parking lot and they were talking about it, so I said go ahead go get in and take pics while I ate lunch. I didn't have any damage from dings, etc. but the dash shrank awfully fast from being in the sun daily.

12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I knew a guy in Fresno, CA that had a black Enzo as a daily driver.

13. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I use my 599 as a daily now. To the supermarket, gym etc. Downside #1 is the attention. A quick run to the supermarket can turn in an hour of talking to guys/kids and letting them see the car, take pics, sit in it. There's not always time to do this but I usually try to make some time. Downside #2 parking the car: I used to be super worried when I had to leave my car between all the mom cars at the supermarket parking lot. Now I just try to not think about it, park the car, close the door, walk away without looking back :)

14. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    My father got his F355 Spider in 2000. By 2015 he had put 48,000 miles on it. In Boston. Drove it daily in sun, rain, and occasionally snow. Now it lives out here in CA, and still runs like a top.

15. dino2X6lover

dino2X6lover Karting

May 26, 2015
    Los altos, CA
    Full Name:
    . . .
    Mine is a daily (but not really because I work out of my home office 3x a week so it's kind of a 2x a week driver with the main office being only 6 miles from where I live). I love it. Best ride ever for the short amount of time I'm on the road 😄

CC

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    I can never say no to a dad who wants to take a picture of his kid in the car, even if I am in a hurry...
    I have always found the kids tend to be very nervous, I have to say don't worry about it just get in :)

17. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    That's so great! As I have said for years these cars are made to be driven!they love to be driven! and always runs better when they are😎
    Cheers,

Bill

18. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    The problem with the daily car argument is unless you are lucky enough to live in a sparsely populated area with nice roads, it just turns into a grind.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That's cool!

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Life is good here indeed!

21. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #71 roma1280, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Been driving a Ferrari daily for around 14 years now in New York and about 5 or 6 years before that in London in several 355s. The first NY daily driver was a 575m - did about 100,000km - still have that car - actually have been driving the 575 for the last couple of weeks and she drives so well. Then more recently F12, done about 40,000km in about 18 months. Put snow tires on both cars in the winter. It's so great I highly recommend it. Such a great feel good factor and in bad weather you really like you bond with the cars as you learn all the different characters the cars have in the different conditions. I can red line the 575 in every gear (it's a 6 speed) and make the gear changes so smooth it feel like you're in a double clutch automatic. The pleasure from that never gets old!

"F12 for sale, highway mileage, one careful lady driver, always garaged ..."

Or the truth "Ferrari nut drove this car like it was stolen 100% of the time, not only is the mileage high but hours were spent in traffic accelerating unnecessarily every time there was a 50 foot space to the car in front so actually the wear and tear is actually far greater than the mileage would imply. The car had been abused, driven throughout the winter on salty roads with snow tires without being washed once but at least it was not put away wet. In fact often the car was not put away at all. You know what - the owner doesn't give a cr@p whether you think this makes sense or not, he's had laugh out loud fun with the car every day, enjoyed every second of it and intends to keep on driving it until the wheels fall off."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    amen, post of the decade.

23. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    Because I've lived here all my life and I own(ed) nice cars. Simple to understand.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Totally! Fantastic post! If I could, I would!

25. Fasthufi

Fasthufi Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 2, 2012
    Germany
    #75 Fasthufi, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Greetings from Germany,

I drive my California everyday, summer and winter. With winter tires absolutely no problem.
    Life is too short just to look at the car. But I drive all my other cars also very often at least once a week ( E-Type, 308 QV Jaguar SS 100). I don´t plan to sell the car, so I will drive it until the Germany TÜV (technical inspection) will stop me.
    I don´t see a car as an investment and I want fun at work, at least on the way to and from work :)

Cheers
    Guenter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login