Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars.. | FerrariChat

Anyone know formula atlantic and swift cars..

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by cladd2000, Mar 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Looking to get a car just for some fun track days in the summer. Have a 997 gt3, but really don't want to beat on a 3K pound road car. Was looking to get an open wheeler for fun. Never tracked before.

Found a very fresh $ 50K swift car for sale.\

Good car to start with? Thoughts?

Is there a reason to chose close wheel vs open if it's just for fun?

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    #2 WCH, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    This has been discussed before, I'll look for the thread.

There are fewer opportunities to run a formula car for fun, as many if not most track day organizations cater to sedans, and exclude formula cars for safety reasons.

An Atlantic, even if not raced, may not be as easy to run as a sedan, in several respects. I wouldn't hesitate to take a prepped 430 or 360 Challenge car, or a Porsche Cup car, to a track day weekend by myself. An Atlantic is more likely to need a nanny, to be less relaible. To be really fun and fast, an Atlantic may take more setup, and at track adjustments, than a sedan.

An Atlantic is a very, very fast formula car for someone new to the breed. I suspect very few would recommend one as a first track car. There are guys here who think their big, powerful Grand Am/Patron etc sedans are fast - your Atlantic, and my D sports racer, would beat virtually all of them. Have you ever tried the Russell cars, out at Infineon? That would give you a feel for a fast aero formula car - in spades. You definitely would get more out of an Atlantic by starting with Skippy's cars.

I wouldn't recommend buying any race car unless you have someone knowledgeable to look it over for you.

Lots of racers here with lots of experience - mousecatcher may be currently running an Atlantic, I'm sure he'll speak up.

I love the Atlantics, beautiful and fast.

3. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
  4. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    Have you looked at a Radical? I would think it would be cheaper and easier to maintain as well as more trackday friendly with organizers (I see them at many track days). It's still one hell of a race car.

5. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Please specify which Swift Atlantic chassis you are looking at and I may be able to assist.

6. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    I think the consensus of responses you got over on rennlist pretty much sum up the answer: Not only is there not a single aspect of an FA car that makes it suitable for what you describe, as a racecar it lives at the extreme other end of the spectrum; it is the last class you master prior to big time open wheel racing.
    There are a million 'dedicated track car' threads on both forums to help guide you.

7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    The difference between your GT3 and an Atlantic car will be enough to either kill you or hurt you very badly. I am not joking...If you want to go that route--buy a Formula Ford, then a 2 liter Ford or FE car or Formula mazda car-then-once you have mastered them-then look at an Atlantic car. Learning to drive a high downforce car takes time and time and time. You don't start out with an FA car!

Also--The operating costs on these things is huge. Figure at$1500-$2000 a weekend for any regional SCCA race. Less if you want to track it but there are few if any track day organizations that will let you run an open wheel car. (insurance issues!)

Look at 30 hour engine life-then a rebuild. Tire costs are $$$.

These are REAL race cars--very fast, very specialized, very expensive to "play with".

If you want a more purpose built track car--buy:

1.) X-Bow
    2.) Lotus 2-Eleven
    3.) Radical
    4.) Ariel Atom
    5.) Lotus Exige

8. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Thanks all. Just want to get into tracking and trying to have the most fun!

9. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    LOL. Figure $10k+ for an amateur race weekend.

10. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    Been said many times, but absolutely not. The purchase cost of these kind of cars is irrelevant. They are extremely expensive to operate.

There is nothing like an open wheel car. But for track days it's very difficult to find folks that will let you run. I'd look at a radical or an SRF. Either of those are very popular and you can find a rental to try it out first.

Do take the Skip Barber open wheel racing class so you get some idea of what you're getting into.

11. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Be careful of doing track days in a small open wheel car if you will be sharing the track with street cars such as your GT/3. In a shunt they will win.

12. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    #12 John Se, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    the old style, they have engines that last a long time.

That atlantic has a 400 to 600 mile engine (toyota Highly stressed), they are hand grenades waiting to explode and are very expensive. Plus, big time ground effects down force takes a lot of learning and balls, think.....If I lift and slow down I will go off the track.....so you have to keep your foot planted and hope the cars stays glued to the track, after a while you will understand that it will. They are cars for PRO (or very advanced and experienced formula car) Drivers. I think that the motorcycle engined sports racers while appealing have hand grenade engines also, unless you can stand to just run a stock one, and they are very good out of the box. But I see guys chasing the last 10 horsepower and they break them.

I like the old formula Mazda for club racing, lots of engine life, like years between rebuilds. After driving proper racing cars I never liked any production based car, they all fell like pigs, but a open wheeler or sports racer, well that something entirely different.

13. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know of any IndyLights cars available?

Thanks,

CW

14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What he said.
    Tube frame FM is the absolute best bang for the buck in Formula cars.
    Tires are $ but they are in an Formula class or class that uses slicks.

15. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    Go do a school with Bondurant , they have a mazda open wheel school . Try before you buy into any high dollar item ! I say same about motorcycles , rent for a weekend a simple test drive does NOT give a real life feel.

16. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    #16 brent Lachelt, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wow you are bringing back some great memories :) I drove in the Toyota Formula Atlantic Championship from 1989-1993. Those cars are wicked quick..like 0-60 in about 2.8 seconds. We actually cornered faster than the Indy Cars on most of the street course races. Set up is critical and they can be very expensive. If you have never raced a Formula car a Swift Atlantic car, it might be a little advanced for you. Yes those Toyota Motors were fragile at 10,000 rpm, the BDA Ford Cosworth used in the 70's and 80's was much more bullet proof. Also the Staffs gearbox on the Swift DB-4 is weak. If you get an 1980's Ralt RT-4 (much more reliable and cheaper to maintain) Formula Atlantic and drive it at 7 tenths on a road course for just enjoyment and don't drive above your head you could have fun.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. DB4 Tim

DB4 Tim Rookie

Mar 5, 2011
    3rd Rock
    Full Name:
    Tim Lamkin
    Do you by any chance have the link to the car for sale. :)

18. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Wow you are bringing back some great memories I drove in the Toyota Formula Atlantic Championship from 1989-1993. Those cars are wicked quick..like 0-60 in about 2.8 seconds. We actually cornered faster than the Indy Cars on most of the street course races. Set up is critical and they can be very expensive. If you have never raced a Formula car a Swift Atlantic car, it might be a little advanced for you. Yes those Toyota Motors were fragile at 10,000 rpm, the BDA Ford Cosworth used in the 70's and 80's was much more bullet proof. Also the Staffs gearbox on the Swift DB-4 is weak. If you get an 1980's Ralt RT-4 (much more reliable and cheaper to maintain) Formula Atlantic and drive it at 7 tenths on a road course for just enjoyment and don't drive above your head you could have fun."

Great post, great photo.

19. freescopesdad

freescopesdad Karting

Jun 14, 2005
    Just buy a Miata...

20. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    If you are looking for the thrills of a formula car, but don't want to get into as deep a financial pool (considering operating expenses) you might consider buying a race kart. Shifter or Touch and Go (TaG) kart will be faster than practically any street car on a kart track. Similar thrills for a lot less $ and hassle, and will feel just as fast (0-60 in 3.5 sec, 2.5g cornering, etc)!

That's what I did, and am having a blast!

John

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I have to agree that dollar for dollar you cannot beat the speed and feeling you will get with an older Formula Mazda. The car with spares and maybe even a trailer will set you back about $15K. Given the costs associated with running an Atlantic that is totally disposable money. Now you are left with a car that costs near Miata money to run yet will out-perform ANY $200-$300K sports car. Also if you get the itch to race, there are established racing championships for those cars all over the country. Lastly if you get tired of the whole deal, Formula Mazda's are popular and in demand. List it for $10K and you should be able to sell it within the day.

22. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    An older FM car is a good choice but for the same money I would also look at a mid 90's Formula Continental car as a better option.

Same operating costs but a faster, more precise car. I have driven both and the FC is always a faster car around the track.

23. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hi Brent, wow, the world is a small place. I probably talked to you at some of the events. I was working for Eibach back then and we were supplying suspension springs through Alvin Lloyd at Swift and directly to teams like Jovy Marcelo (RIP) and Joe Sposato. We also handled the sale of Schmithelm valve springs for the 4AGE motor to TRD. That was a great era for the Atlantic series and the fields were always full of cars.

24. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Let's not skip over a very important point--you may want to work your way up into an Atlantic. It's a lot of car if you haven't driven anything close to it, especially in a competitive capacity.

25. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Hey Greg, We probably did talk. I actually bought a March 79B and a Ralt Rt-4 from Joe Sposato. He really helped get me into Formula Atlantic. The black swift DB-4 in the picture I bought from Sandy Dells and was the car Jimmy Vasser won his first Pro Formula Atlantic race with in 1987. Wow, what a small world and a special time in Formula Atlantic.