Anyone know of a shop that refurbishes wheels | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a shop that refurbishes wheels

Discussion in '308/328' started by Crallscars, Feb 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I recently bought a pair of 8x16 wheels, fortunately the metal is in good shape and there's no curb rash, but both need to be stripped and re-painted.

2. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Ask your local used car dealer whom he uses.

3. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I have called around and find most wheel repair shops are just that, they repair current model cars alloy wheels from curb rash. When it gets to a magnesium/aluminum alloy wheel that's painted they wont touch it.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have used a few wheel repair services and not been very happy. Id use a body shop. If you search the site the paint code is here somewhere. On mistake many maks, assuming they want a stock look is using a gloss clear coat. The wheels on your car should be a satin finish or even a little duller.

5. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    Thanks Brian

Mark C Harvey likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #6 Jack-the-lad, Feb 14, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    There are a couple of shops that do great work on Fuchs wheels for Porsche but I don't know if they do Campy, Speedline or Cromo.

I'll post the names when I can remember them.:rolleyes:

Edit: Harvey Wiedman of Wiedman Wheels in the SF Bay area.
    Al Reed in southern cal. As I said, I know they do Fuchs wheels, not certain about other brands.

7. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    You gave me a good Ideal, I'll call round to Porsche shops

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Bradan - a sponsor on this site refinishes wheels.
    I've used Wheel Collision Center in Pensnylvania.

Both would require shipping for you.

Be wary of local shops and mobile shops - they may say they can handle Magnesium, but then strip them down to the metal without the proper prep prior to painting/powder coating. There's a few threads on this. Read a little so you can quiz a local shop (if so selected) on how they handle mags.

thorn likes this.
  9. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Bradan does beautiful and correct work on magnesium wheels. Proper processes and products/materials used. John/CT

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    If possible, it is in fact best with these wheels to simply lightly wet sand the existing finish, fill in minor nicks with spot putty, and repaint. Stripping is not a good idea, this special alloy (still mostly aluminum but some magnesium in there too) requires specialized primers. Wurth rattle can wheel paint is pretty much idenetical to the stock silver on the 16" wheels. If the OEM coatings are just tired rather than really messed up, then refinishing this way is the best approach.

If you do strip, you then treat them with Alodine, then spray an etching primer, then a primer and then a top coating. Some prime the inside of the rim with an epoxy, as the alloy if stripped can be porous and actually leak air. I am sure a proper shop can do the job, but you can see that the coating knowledge required is much more than for normal aluminum wheel refinishing.

11. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Several South Florida Ferrari owners have utilized the services of Turbax and have been satisfied with the results.

http://www.turbax.com/

Hope this helps.

thorn likes this.
  12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Looks like they offer service in Tallahassee...I may need to look into them . Thanks!