Anyone know the weight of 550 oem wheels? | FerrariChat

Anyone know the weight of 550 oem wheels?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by riverflyer, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I have searched and came up with nothing, and nothing in the owners manual. Any help appreciated, John

2. Simon @ evosport

Mar 4, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Good question. I assume you are referring to the aluminum wheel and not the recalled magnesium wheel? I can take an educated guess, contact Speedline, or if I have time I can weigh the wheels on our Maranello. I'll see if I can make some phone calls tomorrow to get you an answer.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes, John it is important to know if it is the recalled Mg or later Al wheel.

Even the F512M now has AL wheels since the original Mg wheels were recalled.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #4 riverflyer, Apr 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    to be honest, I don't know how to tell the difference. here is a pic of the wheel I am wondering about, off a 98 550.
    Simon, I really appreciate your offer. Let me know what you find out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #5 Auraraptor, Apr 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You cannot really tell by looking at a picture. The only real way is to turn a wheel around, and on the inside of the wheel what it says. Here is an example from the F512M and 512TR Note that the M' is not Mag anymore since they had the leak issues. It will appear similar on the 550.

6. Simon @ evosport

Mar 4, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I was out at the track all day today and will be there tomorrow, so I won't be able to call until Friday.

The other way you can probably tell is that the Mg wheels had aluminum inserts for the bolts...the aluminum wheel does not use inserts. I don't recall if you can actually see them without much effort. In any case, Auraraptor's suggestion is probably the best. You can also call your dealer with the VIN to see if your car has been through the recall..I believe it was for 98-99 cars.