Anyone know this car? California T @ Algar Ferrari | FerrariChat

Anyone know this car? California T @ Algar Ferrari

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Texas Turbo, Mar 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Howdy, folks!

I just bought this car and it will be headed to Texas in a week or so after they address an airbag recall and do a few leather touch ups. Does anyone know anything about it or seen it in-person (I'm talking to you, carnut!)

https://algarferrari.com/showroom/inventory/ferrari-california-zff77xja3f0207907/

I'm excited to be joining this section of the forum. I almost bought an F12 at Ferrari of Austin but we couldn't come to terms on my Euro 3 pedal 360 so I decided to keep it and lower my budget and start shopping California T's.

My 360 is Grigio Alloy so I thought I would look for a red California but ended up with this Silverstone car instead. I couldn't resist this one as I think it is a classy combination that should be a lot more subtle.

I like to mod my cars so I'm thinking I will get some Novitec springs to lower the ride height and then probably the tail-light mod and the tricolore flag over the badge. I am also considering an ecu tune as there is a ton of power to be had but I'll get the car and determine how much I feel it is needed. My 360 is really LOUD so I probably won't mess with the exhaust as the cali will serve as a quasi-daily driver.

Any other mods I should be considering out of the gates?

Looking forward to contributing to this forum and will post pics when it gets here.

Any info on the car is greatly appreciated if anyone has insight.

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Joey4420

Joey4420 Rookie

Apr 6, 2018
    Hamilton, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Joey Shreve
    That is a very nice looking Cali... Congrats.

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I know the car (it is a very nice car) I saw it when I was there, it is the same color combo as my 430 gearshift car. Algar has my T in storage, and while it was I had a Piggy Back (I would only use a piggy back with these cars) with Bluetooth control (so I can adjust how much more power I get), and a Capristo exhaust installed. I have heard the car and it sounds great, but it will not come out of storage until April 1st. If you want to know how the car feels with 488 like power I can let you know after it is back on the road. I know just a bit about modifying cars (been doing it for 45+ years), and unless you are doing it for looks, I don't think the springs are going to do much for the car on the street. I have found that the T is pretty capable when you push it. It has a bit of a dual personality when it comes to that and I have a certain way to test all my cars (my own designed test with cones and no traction controls), that helps me determine what I think a car might need. It is your car, but there seems to be this certain thing that compels people to modify a car before they really get a feel for it. I did not think the car needed the extra power, but I got a deal on the exhaust and piggyback I just could not pass up. I did think the car sounded a bit tame (then again my hearing is gone), but most people probably would not agree with me on that. Good luck and congrats. By the way I am interested in a F12 too, still might end up with one, I have a number in mind, the market is just not quite there yet.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, carnut!!! I really appreciate the response.

Glad to hear about your experience so far with your T. I've been following your adventures for years and have a TON of respect for you and your various projects/interests. I've been modding cars for 29 years (I'm 45 now) so while not quite as much experience as you I'm over 50 cars at this point in my time and all of them have been modded to some degree, from full builds to light mods some would never notice. All that said, I totally appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Yes, the ride height of the T is something I want to address out of the box. I will only track this car a couple of times, if at all, so this is a street car but I wanted the right stance and I want to do it right and don't want to just lower it on the factory springs.

I'm planning to get the car and drive it for a while before doing much else. I agree that one should get a good feel for the car before determining what's needed. My 360 is so loud that is wakes up the neighborhood (literally) so a "quiet" Ferrari is actually appealing to me on some levels, but of course I spent the weekend educating myself on Piggy-Backs, exhausts, and anything else I could determine would be a candidate mod in the future.

I will be VERY interested to hear your feedback on the Piggy-Back and exhaust. Quick question, does the Capristo exhaust throw a CEL? If so, is that a big deal? Also, what brand Piggy-Back did you go with and why? (I like the bluetooth control option!)

Thanks again for chiming in. I had a gut feeling that you have placed your eyes on it before and I appreciate your feedback. It really means a lot.

5. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    That car I think has the magna ride suspension which my car does not have, so it should handle even better than my car does. I found a guy that traded his T for a 720, and he had bought the Capristo and the Vivid piggy back, and wanted to sell both so for about half the cost of the exhaust I was able to get both. I spoke to vivid and they swapped out the unit for the Bluetooth version (they let me keep the non Bluetooth version since it plugs into the same harness) for a very small fee. The app is and the software is all German, so my guess it is the same as the Novitec unit since there are not likely that many German tuners making a piggy back units and software for the T. Algar has taken the car out, said it is now really fast, and threw no codes. My car also needs the recall done, but I told them to do your car first since I'm sure you want you car as quickly as possible. Again best of luck with it. It took me a while to like it, but it fits a purpose for me and I think since you have a 360 now, you will appreciate it more than most do.

6. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX

Thanks again, carnut! I appreciate the info and look forward to hearing your feedback once you get a chance to get your hands on your car again.

Oh, and thanks for telling them to do my car first... yes, I wish it were here YESTERDAY! Great convertible weather here in Texas right now. :)

Cheers!

7. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Looks great! If you lower the car on stock wheels you'll want to do the Novitec wheel spacers with the springs or the wheels will look tucked up under the fenders and it won't look right.

I'm digging the car and your mods will be subtle and add your own touch. I have the tricolor badge but haven't installed yet as it comes flat and it needs a slight curve to to fit the curvature of the trunk lid. I haven't found a way to mold it yet. Let me know if you find a way.

8. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, Fireman. I'm getting excited. Debating a couple of options and getting some quotes on springs & spacers. Thanks for the feedback, definitely want to make it look well executed.

I will probably have my mechanic do the badge for me. I haven't ordered one yet. Which one did you end up getting and do you like it???

9. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I ordered the badge from Ricambi America. Also, If you do aftermarket wheels you don't have to do spacers if you spec the wheel right. I went with ADV1 wheels on mine.

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    No problem, I always have at least a few other cars to work with, and I think they might have a unit that was supposed to go into my car ready to go so you might not have to wait too long. I spoke to Francis about it yesterday, but Tony should be able to tell you if I am right. Depending on what type of garage door opener you have you may need to order a bridge unit to make it work (don't ask dealers they are a bit fuzzy when it comes to this stuff), I did and after a few dozen times of trying to program the home link I went a found a solution. If you cannot get it to work after a couple times, that is the problem. I have diamond pattern seats as well and there is a vendor that sells diamond mats that can be made to match the color, I found them on ebay they are pricey but unique. I have them and I think they look pretty nice. I may try a transmission flash on the car, I have had really good results with all the cars I've done previously. I flashed the Maserati GT MC, and it made a very big difference, and it did in the 4C as well. I am ordering a flash unit for the AMG GTS so I will see how that one works first. I have not touched anything else in the car, mostly because for my purposes it is not really needed. I don't know anything about the taillight mod or the badge thing, and I suppose the car would benefit from a wheel change (most do) as long as you can loose some mass and weight from it. I imagine you probably have better roads than I do around here, I went with another forum member last Saturday to look at a trailer, and I had to teach the RR to dance a bit to avoid the large massive amounts of potholes we have on our local roads. Even some of the highways don't look that great. I am going over to Algar on Saturday for a tech seminar, and who knows maybe your car will already be gone.

11. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I just spoke with Francis and he confirmed they had the bracket for the airbag recall coming. Sounds like it was a hard part to source for some reason, thanks again for allowing me to get my fix done so they can ship the car. I imagine it will be there on Saturday but hopefully I will get lucky and they can get everything done this week and find a truck headed my way!

Thanks for the head's up on the garage door. I will ping you if I have problems. Also, seen the mats you're talking about... my wife LOVES them, which means I'll probably pick up a set.

The taillight mod allows all lights to light up upon braking. There's a thread about it here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/brake-light-mods.558655/

Fortunately we have good roads here in Central Texas, I'm going to probably stick with the stock wheels initially to see how I like them but my other Ferrari has custom wheels and I'm definitely a big fan of that upgrade.

Thanks again for your feedback... looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the power upgrades once you have had a chance to form your opinions.

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I was at Algar yesterday installing my new piggy back, and I saw your car, looks very nice.

Texas Turbo likes this.
  13. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Gents -

I have been offline for awhile. For those of us with Cali T's, what is the piggy back solution and please explain how it works? Sounds like it maps the Cali T engine to provide earlier power -- a la the 488. Is this correct?

Would welcome links to the piggy back system also.

Thanks.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    : 480.966.3040 ext 249 : [email protected]
    I was very pleased with the way Vivid helped me with the unit, James went well beyond normal customer service to help me.I was able to get the Bluetooth control to work. I am picking up my car next Saturday,so until then I cannot tell anyone how it works. It does add around 120 more HP, and 115 to the TQ numbers. I caution anyone to consider a few things before doing something like this, I have a long history with car modifications, and a very strong relationship with my dealer, and my advise is if your car is under warranty talk to your dealer about how they feel about modifications. Some dealers have very strong views about modified cars. I had no intention of adding power to the T, but bought a Capristo (from someone who traded their car for something else) exhaust and was offered a package deal. Vivid swapped out the non Bluetooth unit for the Bluetooth (which looks very different and exactly like another brands unit, and the app is partly in German like the other brand), and I can only say the tech at Algar that test drove my car (had to make sure it did not get any codes) said it felt a lot faster. I prefer piggy backs in some cases because you are not sending out your ECU to be flashed and then do not have the original software to flash back if need be I have handheld tuners that allow me to flash back a forth on some of my other cars, but I do not think there is a handheld tuner for the T available. James will be able to explain things in detail for you, good luck.

15. Texas Turbo

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The Cali T arrived on Friday! Here are a few delivery pics... I'll get some better photos later at some point.

Initial impressions:

The car is pretty quick. Being an old turbo car junkie I can always use more boost but the power delivery is very linear and impressive when you put your foot into it. It doesn't NEED any more power but I can see myself going to the aftermarket for some power mods later down the line.

The car is SO easy to drive. Literally feels no different to me than any other modern luxury car. I found myself driving it in Auto most of the time, I actually like how quiet the exhaust is because my other Ferrari is obnoxiously loud. I'm looking forward to putting many miles on it as it is a great daily driver.

I love the convertible top! I have put the top down more than not... didn't necessarily expect that but given how easy it is and how nice the weather is in Austin this time of year it is a shame to not drop the top. This summer when it is 100 degrees out I'm sure I'm going to love the hardtop but for now I am LOVING the dual personality this car offers.

The car, even in silver, still gets a lot of attention. I guess because of the top being down all the time I'm having people talk to me at stoplights or when driving slowly through my neighborhood. I think this is a beautiful design and the general public seems to agree.

That's it for now... only 100 miles on the car so far so I'm still learning but those are some initial thoughts.

Thanks for all the help, looking forward to contributing more as I learn more about the car and get some more seat time.

Cheers!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Joey4420, Carnut, vjd3 and 1 other person like this.