Anyone know this car? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone know this car?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DavidJ, Apr 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Ok so there is really a third owner since last month. Yes now I remember that he told me he had a video of the last major done by Vinny. His story about the warning lamps is the same he told me after I asked about them. Lets just hope the check engine lights are not major. I wish you the best with it.

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #27 soucorp, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You have to be a paid subscriber, min $15 gets you in the club, totally worth it !

The ad basically says:
    1987 Ferrari Mondial cab 3.2
    black/red
    40,000 miles
    This is a very good looking car, the inside and out side look like new and everything electrical works. This car has just had a timing belt change with bearings and we changed several gaskets and rebuilt water pump. This car starts quick and runs strong.

for more info and pics, [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    +1 for Soucorp. The interior is red and in very nice shape.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    And the asking price is $24,900

You do not need to be a subscriber to look at the ferrariAds, but were you logged on?

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes I was logged in. The link did not work. Anyway, I saw the car in question a while ago on Craigs list (or ebay?) I think. Its very nice and tempting at that price, but I think I gotta have an arrest me red (on the outside) Ferrari (at least my first one!)

We will see what tomorrows phone calls bring.

FYI I have looked a a couple of 348s in my region as well as one in Ohio that looked pretty good, but I was a bit to slow and lost it to a local. 348s are really sexy but the Mondial is a car I could actually live with and use, its more practical and I love the convertible model lines with the top down.

Many thanks to all who have commented, guided and mentored. I'll keep you all up to date.

DavidJ

6. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    Black is the NEW red.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Ok here goes;
    Got the car for a really good price with a flatbed tow to my address included.
    No PPI but I spoke to the mechanic that worked on the car for the last 13 years. He was very positive about the condition of the car in general and in specific about the intermettent Slow Down light.
    Major will need to be done after this driving season but I am totally psyched.

Getting a bank check right now.

Never thought I would actually have a Ferrari!
    DavidJ

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #33 soucorp, Apr 16, 2012
    Well, glad to know that you have accepted all responsibilities knowing what you have learned about the car and have decided to go for it ! Risk taker you, that's cool!

Let me be the first to say congratulations and welcome to the Mondial club!
    It all can be sorted, just have a reserve fund ready, lol !

-Mike
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. TheMac

TheMac Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2009
    Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jon Mac
    Congratulations! Very cool, very exciting. Enjoy, and be sure to post lots of pictures!

10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Congrats David. Welcome to our club. Make sure to take pictures of your Mondial being offloaded from the transport, we call those birthing pictures and as a proud papa, you'll treasure them

Now become official and join the silver group so we can appreciate you more :)

Enjoy the ride!

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks to all of you.
    It's mine!
    Delivery around 7 PM NJ time tonight.
    I have the title and one set of keys (there are 3 sets) 2 keys per set. One for the door (a small key) and one larger folding key for the ignition, per set.
    I didn't know this but the car also has an alarm, full tool set in the leather case and the owners manual and other stuff in a nice leather case as well. A Ferrari car cover and the convertible top cover too.

As I was driving home with the original rims/tires in the back of my old Corolla with 150K on the clock, a red Ferrari F50 passed me on the entrance to the Garden State Parkway. He nailed it as he passed me and he was gone like I was going backward. Amazing....
    I think it was a sign.

Sometimes the stars do align.
    Can't wait for 7 PM!

I will take plenty of pix of the birth.
    David J

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great to hear that! Congratulation and welcome in the Ferrari world. I'm very happy for you and wish you the best with this beatyful car. I hope you will be an active poster here and tell us how you like your new car.

13. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey David,

It's almost 4:00 PM here in CA............ so there should be a large truck pulling up to your place, in about four minutes ! :):)

Congrats !! Drive her in the best of health.

Cheers, Hank

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    The flatbed is delayed due to a flipped dump truck on the highway slowing everything down.
    I mostly upset because it will be dark when he gets here.

Oh well, I waited all my life to have a Ferrari, I guess I can wait another 45 minutes or so.

DJ

15. Bxtech

Bxtech Formula Junior

May 4, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Congrats on such a beautiful Mondial! The 360 wheels on it look great! I've always loved that combo! I first saw a Mondial with 360 wheels at a local show here many years ago. I fell in love with that look ever since! If I ever bought a Mondial, a set of those are going on it right away!

I know it's hard, but be patient. It's better that a dump truck is flipped on the highway instead of the tow truck! As long as it makes it there safely, there's always tomorrow to enjoy it out in the sunlight!

Looking forward to more pics when you have a chance..... :)

16. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Congrats. You bought the right model, and I'm betting for the right price. I know this isn't going to sit well with some other model owners but one of the best feelings I get when I drive my car is to know that I didn't give a kids tuition for it. Sounds funny, but I get looks from guys driving cars that are easily three or four times the cost of my Mondial, but every one if them are envious(unless they are driving one too!)

17. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #42 soucorp, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    (docmirror)
    Whats funny is I know a doctor that's worth millions, but his wife won't let him have a Porsche or a Ferrari like his doc friends all have. She says it will make him look like a playboy and just could get him into trouble. He's so whipped, its unbelievable. So a lot of folks can afford a Ferrari, but choose not to get one! The moral of this story is getting spouse buy-in is very important! :) But you all already know that don't ya ! Happy Mondialing !

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Be patient! You bought it yesterday and got it today. I bought mine a month ago and never saw it yet and still have to wait at least another week and maybe more. You're a lucky guy.

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    #44 DavidJ, Apr 16, 2012
  20. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Congratulations on your new baby. The Mondial group here is one of a kind. You too, will soon be diagnose with "GRINITIS and FERRARISM". A very contagious disease.
    All the best

21. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Congratulations. Enjoy. Great cars.
    Art

22. docmirror

docmirror Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    Ft Worth TX
    Well, despite my respect for my SO, when I got my Mondial, my wife was on a trip in Asia. I just went out and bought it(actually a trade deal). I emailed her I bought a Ferrari, and didn't tell her the price. Of course, she emailed right back asking a million questions. I sent her pics, and the price and she was fine after the fact.

BTW, I'm not a MD kind of doc. :D

23. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Congrats enjoy in good health!

24. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Nice car David, I really like the mags.

Lino

25. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    So...
    One day later and with a bad sinus cold....I stayed home from work.
    Kind of an excuse to spend some time with the new toy.
    Went down to the garage (I live in a apartment building) to take my new baby out for some needed photos for the insurance.
    While I was at it I started learning about Ferraris and this cars personality.
    I'm 5'7", 160. getting in and out of the seats is hard work for me. I'm going to slide the seat back all the way for an easer ingress/egress from now on.
    Geez... do Italians have small feet or something? The space between the pedals is non-existent. I could barley get my foot on the dead pedal without pressing the clutch. I was wearing sneakers too. I will have to get special shoes to fit this car!! I'm sure Ferrari makes a beautiful pair.....for $1000!

I removed the small black tape covering 2 warning lights. What was actually covered was the seatbelt warning for the passenger side (I knew this one).
    The other warning light was NOT the slow down or ECU lights but was the shock absorber warning. I had thought the car was a bit stiff during the test drive.
    I know this might be an ECU for the shocks and might be a bit of an expensive repair. I will look at the fuse and other simple things first. According to the owners manual the shocks will default to a "safe" setting if there is a fault detected. Hope so.
    Other than that I will need to address the engine bonnet opener electrical issue. Could it be a fuse?? That would be a miracle.

I dropped the top when the wife came home from work. Looks like the passenger side rubber seal between the windows is just about history, I'll need one of those too.
    The issue with the top is; the cover is not fitting. It has shrunk quite a bit. I'm guessing at least 5" lengthwise. I'm going to let it sit out in the sun for a while and then coax it to stretch, hopefully not tearing the stitching.
    One of the previous owners installed a killer stereo with 2 Pioneer amps, an ADS crossover and a 6 disk Pioneer CD changer in the front trunk. Also a Pioneer Premier head end unit and a sub woofer under the drivers seat. That thing will help digest your meal! The equipment in the front trunk is mounted flush to a false floor bottom. I would love to ditch the CD changer which is mounted vertically, and get the space back. The false floor/CD player eats up more than 6 " of depth in the trunk. I would install a iPod adapter and that's it. There is also some type of mounting bracket for either an old cell phone transceiver, or possibly a satellite receiver module for the Pioneer head unit. That will have to go too.
    Back to the important stuff: With all I have heard about slow windows, this car has windows that work fine for me, The rear motors make noise but its only for 10 seconds or so while the windows are opening/closing. I'm OK with that.
    I will have to replace the rear window switches however. They feel like they will give up the ghost very soon. There was an old broken window switch in the tool case. I'm going to try and take it apart to see what the weak point is and try to do something about it if I can.
    The ashtray was replaced with a flat piece of plastic. It popped out easily. Underneath is a plastic module with a blinking red LED. I'm guessing it is part of the alarm system. I have no clue about the alarm, there is no remote, no instructions, nothing. I also found several small modules in the area near the driver side head light bucket, mounted on the fiberglass trunk wall. No clue about those either, probably the alarm as well.
    Well I started feeling a bit under the weather after a while. So I parked it back inside, next to my neighbors 911 Carerra 4, (He is in awe of the Ferrari BTW), and called it a day.
    Hopefully I will be able to take her out on the road this weekend and really learn a few things.

Again; a big thanks to a great bunch of people here for supporting and advising me on this big step. I own a beautiful Ferrari!! (my wife loves it too)!!

DavidJ