Anyone Ready to pass their Mondial Down | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Anyone Ready to pass their Mondial Down

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by DDD, May 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Don't listen to the devil!

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Right! Buy a 348, you can still work on it and the costs are reasonable when compared to a 355.

Unless, of course, you find a perfect, fully re-sorted 355 at a giveaway price... then go for it. ;)

3. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Fixed for you, no thanks necessary! :)

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, but only if it's a Coupe... best of all Worlds! ;)

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had a Mondial 8. On the plus side, it's a real Ferrari with all the right sounds, and looks (IMO). On the negative side it is a real Ferrari with the insane costs of upkeep. Entry cost is very low and if your budget is 20K or less AND you can budget 5K a year for repairs etc, it's a good car to get in the game.

There are times I miss that car, but not too many times. I have a Fiat X1/9 and it is more fun than the Mondial ever was. Purchase price less than the cost of a major service on the Mondial. I've driven a 3.2 Mondial and THAT was great.

Either way, I believe Mondial prices will go up if the prices of the rest of the line continue to be crazy

6. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I haven't read this thread, but in case no one's mentioned, there are 3 Mondials at Bobileff...

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I inquired about the 83 they had listed but got zero response.

8. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hey Dom...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/144303451-post353.html

9. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    86 Blue/blue (great colors) and a 88 black/red (also sharp colors)

It's your time to buy you asked for a 3.2 coupe and here are two.

10. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Wade and ferrariguyma,

Thanks!!! Cant get past carfax issues and accident on these. Perhaps I am not alone not many bids. May have to consider alternatives, 400/412 or 308QV though initially more seems to have more long-term growth especially 308B. But will keep looking for the right Mondial.

11. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
  12. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    best of luck DDD

13. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Russ and ferrariguyma

Why are my Pisano's giving up? I appreciate every ones help. All I am looking for is a no issue, no accident well maintained Mondial - I don't think that is to much to ask is it?

14. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    #164 dfranzen, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Then call me!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :)

I'd wager they're giving up because you've turned your nose up or doddled at every car you've been shown?

You're searching for a car that is roughly 25-30 years old. Most cars that age, actually all cars that age have or have had issues. And guess what? After you buy it there will be lots more issues. It's an OLD FERRARI.

That said, maybe your virginal unicorn does exist. If it does it will be 3x the price you want to pay. Keep hunting if you want but in the meantime you may be letting a lot of nice cars that will give you lots of enjoyment get away from you.

16. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

+100000

I laugh at those looking for the perfect older Ferrari when there are several great cars that are well sorted and sometimes better than those not being driven, such as most 250 GTO's out there today. I think all but one have been crashed and rebuilt.
    I should know, I've owned 32 Ferraris, some with good and bad histories, and never had any regrets. Nothing wrong with a little imperfection on these older cars. :)

17. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #167 davemqv, Nov 15, 2015
    I agree 100%. All old cars have histories. I for one one would love to own Steve McQueen's old 275 GTB/4 NART Spyder, and that thing got totaled as soon as he picked it up! But someone rebuilt it and now it's as beautiful as ever.

Ok, so a Mondial isn't a NART Spyder and thus you have room to shop around a bit. But the things people often look for aren't sure bets. Low miles? That translates to never driven, ie- big trouble on an old Ferrari. No accident history? Maybe. I've been in several accidents where the other party and I came to an agreement and my car got fixed for cash. No insurance claim. No record. I certainly wasn't trying to hide accidents on my 1980 Fiat 20 years ago. Just how things worked back then.

But here's the thing everyone forgets... Say you find the PERFECT car. Looks beautiful. Only one or two owners. Decent mileage. Good service history. Driven but taken care of, and you buy it thinking you've got a "no problem" car. Then the first 2 weeks you drive it things start breaking all over the place! Why? Because cars really do get used to their drivers. Someone else takes over and runs it differently, and all the things that were kind of barely holding on due the the last guys driving habits now give way. This has happened with every used sports car I've ever owned.

Perfect cars only exist in some magazine or photo online, just like the perfect woman only exists in fantasies. I'd rather have a real girlfriend and a real Ferrari to call my own, including all the problems they come with, instead of forever searching for the dream catch. But that's just me.

Now here's a picture of James Coburn and his DENTED Ferrari California (look below and to the left of the badge, above the grill) . Doesn't he look miserable next to that poor dented car? Hahaha.

18. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #168 Wade, Nov 15, 2015
    Some people just want a car for the show circuit. For example, this '86 3.2 Coupe from the Senega Museum Collection, shown here at the 2012 Winter Park Concours d'Elegance. This car, 62235 (?), won Platinum at the 2012 Cavallino as well.

While the car did appear to be "all original" (down to its vintage TRXs) my ex-3.2 presented itself better. However, mine had stories which, to me, made the car more intriguing. :)

19. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

+10000

Well said!

20. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Russ and ferrariguyma,

If I made either of you feel like I turned my nose up at your suggestions my apologies .

David,
    I am not looking for "a virginal unicorn", thought that would be nice. and I realize that many cars may have some issues, it is just that some issues I can tolerate and some I cannot. I am patient and will keep searching and hope the Fchat community with continue to help. I know I will find one. Originally, I was focusing on coupes and realize that may take too long due to the limited number of them.

21. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Everyone,

You have all mad valid points. Much appreciated, and I do realize there is no such thing as a "no problem car" no matter what condition you purchase one at.

22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm all for hunting down a coupe if you want a coupe. I love the coupes. But there is some pleasure in revitalising a car yourself. That's all I'm saying. Best of luck in your hunt.

23. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think one of the best sources of for sale cars is on this board! The folks that post here talk about their cars, what problems crop up and how they solve them. Most of us are pretty passionate and look to share.

I bought my car from a board member and had a pleasant experience. Did I want "prugna"? No, didn't even know what it was before being on here. Worked out just fine. I was flexible on color.

Did that mean the car didn't need anything? No, of course it needed a few things all used cars do. So I rebuilt 2 shocks, replaced the fuse board with an upgraded one,swapped out a bad ignition box, put on some new tires (old ones were too old), had the MAF's adjusted (waaaay off!)etc. There are some other things I did, but so what? The car isn't perfect, never will be, but it is a great driver and from 5 feet away, it does look very good. And every time I drive it, I enjoy myself, which is what it is all about. The sooner you buy one, the sooner you can enjoy it.

Now, I do understand the desire for a coupe. For all of the attributes of a convertible, I also felt a coupe was a better all around vehicle for me. But that is individual choice. If a coupe hadn't come along, I might have tried a convertible. What is the worst that can happen? I wouldn't enjoy it and I would sell it. No big deal.

So if dfranzen, or Wade, or Scaledetails, or porphy, or hank, or a number of other "regulars" had a car for sale that remotely was what I was looking for, I would give strong consideration. The going price is just that, over the long run the purchase price is what is remembered, but all the upgrades and repairs in the first few months really count too. As I was told many times, if you can't afford a Ferrari, you really can't afford a "cheap" Ferrari.

Just be a bit flexible, and you will have success.

Good luck on the hunt.

Regards,
    Jerry

24. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Understood and I agree especially if you can do it all yourself and though I can do a lot it can still be costly. Thanks for the encouragement, I have not given up.

25. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    I will Thank you. Is yours an 89T? Love to chat more sent you a PM.