Anyone running slicks on their 812? | FerrariChat

Anyone running slicks on their 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by HyperMac954, Jul 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HyperMac954

HyperMac954 Karting

Jul 2, 2012
    Soooo, one full track day and my tires are toast.

The car ran like a beast, but by the end of the day, my tires were absolutely done, particularly the fronts. They heated up FAST on track, and I admit to hurting them early this way. Also, the 4 wheel steering takes some getting used to, because I kept feeling what I felt was the back end stepping out and go to correct it. Caused undo load into the fronts.

So curious if anyone is running aftermarket wheels on slicks on their 812 without any issues?

2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I'm not sure anyone has solved the mystery of the best tires to put on yet and maintain the handling dynamics.

The closest tire to slicks that would work in most conditions is the sport cup 2 but I don't think it's available in the right size.

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I wouldn't touch slicks.
    I don't think 812 body and suspension and parts can handle the slicks.

Yes those rear steer creates odd moments of what the rear is doing and what driver should do to front to compensate that.
    I find myself just doing nothing when rear steer kicks in.
    RWS makes unwanted slip angle added to the already pretty high limits and make things not intuitive.

812's long wheel base emplifies it more so than 911s.

Bundy and Pazzo009 like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You can try the Pirelli PZC4 tyres for the TdF.
    Actual slicks or Hoosiers? No. The suspension is way too soft for that and they will throw you off the track once they lose grip. It would need a completely new setup for that.
    There may be some streetable R compound tyres that could work. Cup 2 R, Toyo R888R or Pirelli Trofeo R. Look for 285/30R20 front and 325/30R20 rear.
    These are quite a bit smaller in diameter compared to stock tough, but the front-to-rear diameter bias is very close to OE, so no ABS sensor issues.
    As for pure track day wheels, 285/35R19 and 325/35R19 could also work great. I would personally prefer that to the 20's with an R compound. Forgeline GA1R Open would be a good wheel choice.
    19 inch wheels will give you the same grip as 20's, but stress the suspension a bit less. I would not reccomend either size for normal driving. The smaller diameter will look a bit odd.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Quick edit: Forget the 19's. Had a look around, and no suitable tyres available.

However, Toyo R888R and Sport Cup 2 tyres are available in 285/30R20 and 325/30R20. The R888R is a very good track day tyre and could in combination with the afore mentioned Forgeline wheels, make for a very stout track day setup.

6. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Run Cup 2's if available for the size. Get them heat cycled and make sure you have the right inflation.

They are best tire for street/race application. I agree with J0933, I think you're playing with fire by putting a slick on there.

Also, all you're going to kill the fronts because they're doing all the work and have all the weight. If you feel the tires getting greasy, do a cool down lap. Once they get greasy, they wear twice as fast.