Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by carguy007, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    You sound like Nancy......... ($30K isn't crumbs...)

(Many that can afford these cars are able to precisely because they are careful with their money, and I doubt they have much of an impact on the roads given the miles most of these cars are driven. If the law allows for the practice, it's personal choice. They (CA and others) could always shorten the "grace" period allowed for a foreign state registration to drive on their roads, and thereby make it less attractive as an option.)

Jim

Loxo and nice like this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    It’s buying the Chiron that makes it a real question.

TheMayor likes this.
  3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    With respect, you probably shouldn't be so quick to judge IMHO. There are many situations where a case can be made for a Montana registration.

For example where someone is "stateless" and not even a US resident but wants to have a car in the US. For example someone living abroad with no permanent address but frequent trips to the US.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Give me a break. This thread is about "how can I cheat California out of some taxes and avoid a smog test". Just read the post.

waterking and Dom like this.
  5. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    That is your interpretation. Sorry, I suppose you know perfectly what everyone's interest is who is viewing this thread.

Maybe you should he the one giving others a break?

6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This promotes the worst stigma about "Rich Ferrari owners". If you think that's good, so be it. I personally don't think it's good.

Ky1e, wrs and Dom like this.
  7. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #32 galt, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Sure the people who are cheating do reinforce that and they should not do it.

But that does not mean that those with a legitimate reason shouldn't do it for fear it sends it is bad for the kingdom of Ferrari owners.

And I put to you those who are not doing anything wrong don't deserve to be called "cheaters"

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I do not disagree at all at what you say. However, this was not the intent of the OP in this case. That is my issue.

9. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Fair enough

10. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have been paying right at $900 a year just to register my Lotus in Nevada. I could cheat it if I wanted but even I with a limited income compared to most on this site pay my fair share.

Do right by your state pay what you need to pay and don't complain or get a cheaper car.

tomc likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    $1100 for the Alfa 4c last week. Not cheap at all.

12. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    900 is nothing, that's what these would cost annually too in Montana. The sales tax is significant in some cases. All that to say, there is no blanket answer, it's dependent on the home state. Some states it's legal, some it is not.

Loxo likes this.
  13. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I first got out here and I didn;t think I was going to stay I was thinking about getting a "snow Bird" staus,
    My car would cost $87 in Montana annually...........................just so we compare apples to apples here.

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Another factor why I only play with the cheap cars anymore and only older than 1975 to avoid smog and pay minimally to register and use. Makes life easier and cheaper and legal without questions.

I did just move from NV to CA and CA is a bit more expensive than NV. NV is perhaps the easiest cheapest coolest DMV state! Miss the ease.

15. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    No.

I have thought about it when purchasing vehicles over $100k in California.

In the end it’s just dishonest.

My $10k.

waterking likes this.
  16. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Just to be clear, I'm half joking in my earlier post. I'm in FL, registered my Ferrari's in FL, and paid the taxes, never considered going out of state. That said, I do understand why some choose other options, but also understand why others are bothered by those choices.

Jim

17. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Ok, well we aren't talking about lotus. Also, the law in montana changed this year, and the annual fee is several hundred dollars more if the initial new car price was 150k+ .

waterking likes this.
  18. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Almost sounds like a recruitment statement for MS13.

nmcclure likes this.
  19. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    So you might save some taxes by registering in MT and you might not get audited by the state you reside. The bigger concern would/should be, what if you have an accident? I'd think many insurers that don't want to pay high value claims would look at any MT registration with an out of state accident and deny the claim. Would that risk be worth the potential tax savings? I suspect not.

20. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #45 galt, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Don't quite get that. What do you mean? Maybe you interpret "stateless" as necessarily meaning illegal?

What I am talking about is something relatively common. For example American expats. Or foreigners who live abroad but visit the US frequently enough to want to enjoy a car there. People living abroad with family in the US or multiple homes in the US. Or foreigners with business interests in the US. Etc etc etc...

Depending how much time they spend in the US, many of those above would not be state residents or even US residents for tax purposes. They would instead he overseas residents.

21. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    If you attend car week in Monterey, you'll get your answer is it worth it...yes, never will you see so many classic and exotic cars from Montana. So to some it is obviously worth it.

I have considered it, but at the end of the day bit the bullet - paid almost $23K in sales tax to register my last car - Mclaren. The aggravation and potential for CA to impound your car is too high. The DMV actually has a program and reward for turning in your neighbors who live in CA and register cars in another state. Also know Dealers will not deliver the car to you and allow you to put out of state plates on it, if you have a Montana address, that is where it goes...they know the game and want no part of the fraud.

MB

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    That's super cheap. In VA you have excessive sales tax + a recurring tax of 4% annually on NADA which is so out of line. My annual taxes range around $40k which is complete BS. My neighbor gets all the Sam Sh it I do but prefers drive an older Benz. Who's cheating who?

23. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think if you are going to keep the car you just pay the tax. Tax is deductible to a certain degree anyway. Also, pay a couple years of extended V12 original warrantee and a couple years of powertrain after that and compare to your sales tax. At least with the sales tax you get a Ferrari. With the warrantees you (hopefully) get nothing - well you get some fancy papers and booklets. If you flip, short term lease (not really own) or own vintage collectable or hyper car then out comes the Montana tags. Some can claim multiple state status but agree with those that have stated its far and wide a way to cheat and looks foolish on a production car.

24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    How do you deduct sales and property tax? As of 2018 there is a limit on the amount of property tax you can deduct.

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Consult your tax attorney or accountant is the best response. There is a limit to how much state tax you owe in my state just like your federal tax burden. Keep your receipts and itemize them instead of the standard deduction. Don't know about property tax as my state does not have it. Again, consult the professionals and always stay on the safe side.

Matt_337 likes this.