Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Anyone set up a Montana Loc to register their cars

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by carguy007, Mar 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What motorcycles do you have? You’ve been holding out!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    #152 Fang911, Jan 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    I agree with the principle of "paying our fair share" of federal / state / sales / property taxes but the implementation is the problem. Perhaps I'm jaded from watching Illinois politicians flush $$$ down the toilet, break promise after promise, steer $ from every revenue source to prop up an entirely outdated and unsustainable pension system, with graft and corruption at every level of state government.

So when IL wants to amend the state constitution to implement a progressive income tax with a top rate of 7-8% instead of 5%...or if they want to switch from a flat vehicle registration fee to a value based system like AZ, etc- I'm OK with that in theory but only a small % (if any) of the money goes to provide affordable housing, better schools, roads, infrastructure, medical care. It all goes to paying down debt and propping up pensions here.

If IL were to change to a value based auto registration fee (ie $10K+ for a F8)...I'd rather take the cash, go to Costco and buy a $10K of nonperishable food and clothing, go to my local homeless shelter and pass it all out to the needy with my kids. Or, I'd be happy to volunteer $10K worth of my time seeing patients at a free clinic. At least in both instances there is a direct, tangible, quantifiable, efficient ie 100% benefit to those in need. The state of IL has done ZERO in my 50 yrs here which would give me any confidence the money is going to be used wisely or efficiently. I wouldn't entrust Pritzker, Madigan, and Co with a single extra $ at this point and if there are legal alternatives to vehicle registration, etc, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

3. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Police are using license plate readers in concert with DMV enforcement . I know of someone who had an exotic registered in Montana who was accosted by CA DMV enforcement officers at a Starbucks in crystal cove shopping mall in Orange County. The DMV people were going through the mall parking lots throughout the area looking for Montana plates .

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Chizz and Texas Forever like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This goes for most states and certainly the federal government. Imagine if you could allocate where your tax dollars went. Many people feel that our tax dollars go to good causes but in reality much of our hard earned money is wasted on useless and antiquated programs. I would much rather keep more of my money and give to charities that directly help people in need.

Loxo, BMW.SauberF1Team, Chizz and 5 others like this.
  5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I totally agree with you Kyle. I too live in the Tampa area. I payed my tax when I purchased my 458 yrs. ago, but once that was taken care of plate fees are more than reasonable unlike Co. which was the fee that keeps on goosing you! Looking for trouble by cheating. A ticket, an accident, an observant Police officers will not make the day very pleasant.

6. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Very well said. I agree 100%

Chizz and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  7. BigJay2050

BigJay2050 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2014
    I dunno, maybe they just like the design of the montana plate better. :D

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    FL is actually very reasonable compared to some other states. You pay a sales tax and in fact get some credit on a trade in. Others like VA, you get none of that. Not only do you pay a comparable sales tax, registration fees, etc they ding you annually. On top of that radar detectors are illegal and driving 20 over is an automatic reckless. So my view in regards to states that are so over the top is F you. Be reasonable and reap the rewards, be greedy and get F'd. I don't have Montanna plates but totally get why someone would. I'm not judging them at all. Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

Rrr1, Cigarzman and Viperjoe like this.
  9. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Agree 100%. I don’t run Montana plates but I see why people do in va. Absurdly expensive for cars that maybe see a few k miles a year.

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The argument that using the vehicle should pay for the creation and maintenance of the roads is lame. The vast majority of $400k cars sit in the garage and are never driven. Pay your fair share by the vehicle weight and miles driven. That's what impacts roads. Which means trucks and those heavy EVs need to pay up.

430jm, Viperjoe, AD211 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    The problem I see with your statement is why in the heck do $400k cars sit in garages and are never driven? That’s the real tragedy

Texas Forever, AD211 and Viperjoe like this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Mostly folks don't want to lose value which kind of means they weren't really willing to trade the cash for the car in the first place. Next would be the opposite where you have a decent collection and not enough time to get to them all. Another would be a change in lifestyle like an injury, illness, or potential loss of income. But you knew the answer already!

13. EFerrari34

EFerrari34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Don’t shoot! But I admittedly checked into this & found one very large issue. By registering the car with an LLC you have signed up for commercial car insurance. I made a call to my long term insurance broker who immediately informed me of the fact that State Farm will not insure LLC vehicles. I don’t know if that’s true, but he claimed that he couldn’t do it. I got an insurance quote with USAA & Farmers….72% higher than if I insured it in my name. Tax savings lost! I was just doing research & on paper it made zero sense for me. I just wanted to share my personal experience that led me to pass on the Montana deal altogether.

Cheers

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. EFerrari34

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    And another thing; if you have a loan on the car you plan to register…once again, it makes no sense. You need to pay cash for the car to even begin to think about actually doing this.

15. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    Even more painful then most of the examples here…I live south of Detroit, about 15min from the Ohio border. To register my 599 in Ohio would cost me ~$75 a year, Michigan has a value based registration, it costs me $1,500/yr.

I see both sides of the debate, while I can afford it, it is incredible painful as it doesn’t seem fair, which is probably what drives many to look for ways to avoid it…it’s just not fair.

Just thought I would share…its’ always a painful check to write come May every year!!!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. EFerrari34

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 19, 2021
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Is there a sales tax difference between the two states?

17. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    This is not true. I own a car in an LLC and have State Farm insurance on it.

Andynyc and EastMemphis like this.
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My Farmers LLC registered Ferrari is the same annual premium as my personal policy.

You are likely dealing with someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing.

You do not use a corporate policy with a Montana LLC car. You take out a personal policy no different than anywhere else, the insurance is in your name, but the car is simply registered in the LLC. Most insurance company monkeys processing your paperwork have no clue what they’re doing and just hear “LLC” and make you do a corporate policy. Not accurate at all.

Farmers is one of the few who allow you to take out a personal insurance policy on a Montana LLC car. You need to ask for a new rep or contact a Farmers insurance agent in Montana and have them explain to your local Farmers rep how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever, Loxo and EastMemphis like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Inaccurate.

20. Kyle Stoffer

Kyle Stoffer Karting

Sep 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Kyle R Stoffer
    Depends on the Ohio county, ranges from the same to +3%. (Don’t quote me on that, I just know the sales tax in cuyohoga v stark county is 8% vs 6.5%, as an example).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Right. I’ve registered cars in dc under my company and pure and Chubb not care.

22. Corsaspider

Corsaspider Rookie

Feb 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Lou Grancharov
    Actually State Farm is the only company that will insure LLC vehicles without any commercial rate increases. They don’t care where the LLC is set up. In fact most MT LLC’s get insurance through State Farm. Talk with State Farm agent directly, don’t use brokers.

23. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Farmers as well.

24. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    USAA as well. I have four cars, two owned by LLC's, two personal. All insured at the same rate with USAA regardless of ownership and registration.