Anyone switch from a 488 Coupe to a 458 Spider-thoughts? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Anyone switch from a 488 Coupe to a 458 Spider-thoughts?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rocketman, Jun 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal

Hey can I ask why you want to go from a 488 to a 458? You don't think you will miss the power? Or something missing in the 488 thats on the 458?

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Less power and more body flex, what else would anyone want ;)

Ash Patel and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'm pretty sure the width quoted in the owners manual is with the mirrors, the Ferrari web site - hopefully a trusted source - (https://auto.ferrari.com/fr_FR/voitures/modeles-anciens/ferrari-488-gtb/#specifications) quotes 1952mm.

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Personally I don’t know if I’d do it, I just never thought about it if I’m honest, but it’s not a silly question at all. Far from it.

This is magic and, in those surroundings, there’s no true replacement for a 458 Spider, imvho. There will always be faster and faster cars. There will always be time to buy turbo or hybrid cars. The NA is dead. Bourbon may get you drunk faster, but it’s no match for a 1930s Bordeaux.

Quite honestly, different people seek different, although equally valid emotions. There were owners who moved on, sold their 458, bought a 488 and never looked back. There are also those (the majority of my inner circle) that kept their 458, will never sell, bought a 488, loved it, and will spec an F8. And then there are those who had huge remorse over selling their 458 and weren’t entirely convinced by the 488. Who’s right and who’s wrong? The one that is the happiest regarding his choice, wins. Imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    After driving the 458 Spider, IMO, it does not stack up to the 488 in any criteria other than sound. 488 looks better ( subjective ), has much more power, has far superior driving dynamics, better technology and I don’t find the exhaust note lacking. It is by far an all around better package.
    I will be going with the 488 Spider.

Exactly !

MANDALAY and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Bold words for a man who owns largely German cars and Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Ray

xfrgtr likes this.
  7. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I friend let me drive his ltalia. I loved it and couldn’t wait to get a 458 spider.

One of my biggest surprises was the sound of the spider. So much better with the top down. Wow. And the l discovered that you can put the rear window down with the top up so you can hear that wonderful engine/exhaust music even when it’s raining or a cold night.

Then my dealer suggested they pull the lines to the muffler baffles. Glorious sounds all through the rev range. No more waiting until 3,000 rpm to get the sound in RACE mode or 5,000 RPM in SPORT mode.

Fast enough. Sometimes the 458 pulls to 9,000 rpm it scares me...well thrills me at least. The car is rock solid at 150 mph with the top down. Very little wind gets in the cabin, especially will the windows rolled up.

I can’t imagine ever parting with my 458 Spider. Her name is Lola because whatever she wants she gets!

8. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Idk about that.... I love my Kentucky bourbon, often prefer it to the vino... :) And there may be a time that even turbo pure ICE cars are gone sadly. Everything changes and evolves for better or worse. But well said, totally agree this is all very subjective and personal to each individual

Dont want to turn this into yet another 458 vs 488 thread, but that mirrored my sentiments exactly when I was shopping 458 vs 488 coupes. GL with the search, tons to choose from

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
  10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes, your car is larger than a pista it's amazing!!

Pista Specs:
    Length 4605 mm
    Width 1975 mm
    Height 1206 mm
    Wheelbase 2650 mm
    Front track 1679 mm
    Rear track 1649 mm

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I simply go by what the 488 owners manual say.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It says "Max" width, whatever it means (although they also say that for the 458, so it's not really clear) - and again, Ferrari themselves mention 1,952 in other sources.

13. flaminang

flaminang Rookie

Dec 9, 2023
    Full Name:
    Acw
    Question pls. Am at a crossroad now between a 2014 458 spider (ie 10 years old car) and a 2017 488 coupe.. biggest concern is if the 10 years old spider will give me any issues on the retractable roof given it’s age. Must say it’s a well kept 16.5k km always with ital for service, would we start to see wear and tear in the roof parts etc. any insights much appreciated. Thanks

14. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    I have a 2015 458 Spider and still no issues with the roof, but I have other problems. You are always going to have something burp on a Ferrari... and when it does just fix it.

emmholla likes this.
  15. emmholla

emmholla Karting

Dec 15, 2018
    Agreed. There will always be soemthing to fix. Just fix it and enjoy the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. flaminang

flaminang Rookie

Dec 9, 2023
    Full Name:
    Acw
    Thanks guys. Will follow my heart and seal the 458 spider. Just waiting for ital 190 points check, fingers crossed all goes smooth. Have a great weekend.

rob5819 likes this.