Anyone "upgrade" and then come back to the F430? | FerrariChat

Anyone "upgrade" and then come back to the F430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by oc23, Jun 14, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oc23

oc23 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2023
    Full Name:
    Rob Yo
    I'm a few months into my F430 ownership and despite a few little issues (which I mostly chalk up to just familiarizing myself with the car) I do love the thing. It's a perfect combo of what I grew up imagining a Ferrari to be while still looking amazing and modern. Not to mention being able to have it be a 6spd which is what I wanted.

But as most car nuts, my mind wanders a bit :) Even though I have no plans of parting ways with the car, I'm curious if other people have to seemingly "upgrade" to a newer Ferrari (or perhaps even other exotic) and found themselves missing the F430 enough to come back to it? Maybe the 458/488/F8 or v12 F car wasn't as fulfilling?

Bonus question - if you did come back, did you change from coupe to spider (or vice versa), or F1 to manual (or vice versa)?

colorfull likes this.
  2. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    I've had things faster and newer, most Porsches, but I don't think there is anything better for the money. I mean what's the point of having anything faster these days, in the UK the roads are chocker, full of potholes and people who can't stay in there own bloody lane, and you are only as fast as the sh1tty Hyundai in front of you. I just went from a Black one to a Red one because although I forced myself to be different and not buy a resale red one, in my heart of hearts I have always thought a Ferrari should be Red, and thats evident to others considering when I was in the former, the one, most common comment was always "Very Nice car, only thing is, a Ferrari should be Red"

To me a Spider is a no brainer, just ads another dimension to the driving experience

Ffre92, oc23 and mwstewart like this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I too have a wandering mind and a 430 manual. (as you know) Upgrading to something newer probably throws me into a depreciation curve. Not acceptable to me. There are other choices that that most likely wouldn't cost over time. But every time I get the itch I just know I would regret it. If you can't stand the itch then get something else but keep the 430 if you can.

oc23 likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I stopped buying Ferraris when the manuals left. The only Ferrari I would buy in an automatic is the 430. I think it is the pinnacle of Ferrari V8 performance with Ferrari style. I don't even know what Ferrari sells now because I'm not impressed.

5. DutchFerrari

DutchFerrari Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2022
    Bollenstreek - Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeroen
    Not upgraded from, but having had plenty faster cars i feel like i can chime in here; Im someone who usually already had his car for sale again by the time i got home from picking her up after i bought it... but the F430 no way im selling anytime soon for no definitive reason... Ive had plenty faster cars (+-1000hp BMW E46 M3, modified Supra's and more), but this is just performance wise on a sweetspot where u can use the power when a gap opens up in traffic to have a little bit of fun. and when the roads do open up and you get some twisties, the speed doesnt need to be as to where you will immediately will lose your license....

6. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Got into it as an F1 F430 and absolutely loved it, got the last OEM manual 6-spd conversion kit from EAG back in 2019 because I couldn't find a good independent shop that could fix F1 when it started acting up and local dealer and others couldn't figure out what was likely just a bad position sensor. Got the manual back in middle of covid and loved it, the whole experience is amazing with excellent actuation, light flywheel amazing throttle response. I have other cars, 991.2 GT3RS, 992 GT3 Touring, McL 650S, C8Z06, but there is something about the F430 that makes it irreplaceable. I have little interest in the more modern dual-clutch 458 (although for a while had an itch for 458 or 488, the 650S took care of that itch very nicely).
    The only thing I really miss is an F1 F430 to complement the manual converted one. The F1 F430 is manic and just lovely to drive and I am one of those that absolutely 'gets' and loves the F1 transmission. So my advice to you would be keep the F430 and get something in addition otherwise you may have regrets. Not sure what shape your F430 is in but mine really needed all bushings to be replaced and the shocks to be reconditioned (by the excellent Madeno Racing in the Netherlands) but now handles like a dream from its era. I love convertibles but I would stick to Berlinetta because of too much cowl shake and compromised structural rigidity.

7. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    I also love the F1 gearbox, I do get the manual, but then again I don't when the F1 is so much faster, but much more importantly, its so mechanical, brutal, engaging and thrilling.

DCT / PDK and the likes, yes so good they are boring! The F1 is just so raw in comparison.

jerbear27, SpecJunkie and catdog like this.
  8. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    The thought of upgrading (to a 488 Spider) is always on my mind. However with the McLaren 650S now in the garage, I think they would be too similar in terms of of driving experience.
    Best course, for me personally, would be having the F430 Spider converted to manual.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought my '05 3 pedal coupe new. It will turn 19 in August. Paddles are just plain boring for me so I've never had any desire for any newer Ferrari. Like FatBillyBob, I don't much follow the issuance of new models anymore either. 430s have ample power for street use so I've never wanted more power either. I used to track it some and more power wouldn't have helped me there either. Few of us amateurs can really maximize the power the 430 has on a track. Throw in the fact that it's been very reliable for a Ferrari, and there's just no reason I can think of to go newer. BTW, in 2005, no one wanted 3 pedals. Buyers were flipping paddle spiders for 40K profits. The dealer did not try to buy it from me. They want it now! LOL.

Dave

10. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    I don't know about others, but here in the UK its just a complete annoyance to have a manual now, times have changed and the roads are just rammed and you don't get very far before its all start stop clutch work, and having that gate would do my head in! I find my self going out really early just to get empty roads, and then whacking through the paddles is a joy, the downshifts are epic!

I've got an MX5 ND with a nice light slick, snick, snick manual box and stop start traffic in that is a pain!

You manual boys can keep em!

StevieBob and SpecJunkie like this.
  11. DutchFerrari

DutchFerrari Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2022
    Bollenstreek - Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Jeroen
    Same for holland, and couldnt agree more with this.

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I keep being tempted by a 488 also... But the 430 is just modern enough to not be a chore to drive, but not modern enough to lose the "Ferrari" feel. The 488 is just too easy to drive fast or as a matter of fact, slow....

Was talking to someone this weekend at a Ferrari club event who upgraded from a 599 to a 812SF and really enjoys it, but is keeping his F430. If I went on more road rallies, I might move to something like an F12 or 812 for comfort but until I'm retired with a lot more time to travel, I'll hold off on the grand tourer.

I also have my manual transmission 996 GT3, so that fills the other itch for a manual car. The 430 F1 system is pretty amazing when maintained well and the 996 GT3 is like an extension of myself, so best of both worlds...

jerbear27, swc5150 and DutchFerrari like this.
  13. swc5150

swc5150 Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Scott Calderwood
    I sold my first 430 intending to buy a 458 but ended up with the identical spec 430 again. 458 is awesome, but maybe too perfect for me at this time of life? I like the F1 too much, with the perfect balance of mechanicalness and speed of shifts. I think one day drivers will look back on the 430's F1 with fondness. Clunky, horrible in heavy traffic, but so much fun.

DutchFerrari and jerbear27 like this.