Anyone use Chemical Guys Leather scent? | FerrariChat

Anyone use Chemical Guys Leather scent?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by staatsof, Sep 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Used car had smoker smell. I took it to a top notch detailer who steamed cleaned the entire interior and was suppose to leave the ozone machine on overnight but it broke after 3 hours. They added a motel scent which I hated but the cigarette smell IS gone. FF after 4 months the scent never went away so they just ran the ozone machine again overnight, no scent. But it smells strongly like ozone DUH! just like in motel rooms when they cleanup after smoker. It's obnoxiously strong so I'm thinking of adding Chemical guys leather scent. I'll sniff it first in case it's disgusting. Should I wait for a couple of months first?

Thoughts?

2. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    I had a small sample of it from them a while back and you can really tell it is a "fake smell". It would probably mask the ozone smell and do the job. It doesn't last long so that would be a positive in your case. I had a dog that would leave me little presents on my office carpet and I used it after cleanup and it worked pretty good for that if you want an endorsement. :rolleyes:

3. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Sounds to me like they should have stopped after the steam cleaning.

I've used a lot of leather dressings over the years, but not the CG one. My favorites are Zaino Z-10 and Sonus. Whatever you choose, I suggest you use the matching leather cleaner first, then the conditioner. Close the windows and doors for a day or two, then open them all up and air out the interior. Reapply the conditioner after a month or so.

You can also try one of those home air fresheners, like Febreze. I've heard a lot of testimonials from Porsche guys that they do a good job of removing odors from a car interior.

4. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid you will not win at this game. Odor of some type is likely with you for the duration.

Jack-the-lad and staatsof like this.
  5. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This is painted leather, a 2015 Lincoln, so no real leather smell like my Italian classics. Yes I wonder about stopping after the steam cleaning too but everything I read suggested the ozone machine was the only way and after an experience in a hotel room 2 years ago that was amazing.

This 1st review seems to indicate a way to make it last.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Money or leather or rich wood would be OK! :D

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Ive used it on my Tesla, which has synthetic leather. I think it gives a fairly nice scent, but it doesn’t last very long. I agree with pairing it with a nice smelling leather conditioner. The Griots garage stuff smells similar and does a nice job as a conditioner.

Rexcat458 and staatsof like this.
  8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    which one ...

They have several leather products:

Leather care
    Leather rejuvenator
    Leather scent/odor remover.
    Scent Restoring Odor Neutralizing Leather Cleaner
    Leather 3-in-1.
    Interior scent - fine leather

:rolleyes:

9. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Sorry, should have been specific. I used Leather rejuvenator on multiple cars, including my 308. Also on leather items like phone cases, wife’s purses, etc. Recently tried their Leather 3-in-1 on the Tesla, and also to clean our leather couch. Both products smell good and do a good job of conditioning. The 3 in 1 works fine as a cleaner, though I would imagine a dedicated leather cleaner would be better if you have really soiled leather.

staatsof likes this.
  10. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    I've been using the Chemical Guys leather conditioner and cleaner and it works well. The conditioner has a leather scent to it.

You guys know that leather smells the way it does through artificial processes, right? The smell we associate with leather isn't what a natural hide smells like, straight off the cow.

11. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've used the Snow Foam in the foam cannon, it works great.

12. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You might want to give Gliptone a try. I've used it for years on vintage Jags and for some time on my 360. The conditioner has a strong and lasting leather smell which actually is the smell of Rolls Royce and classic Jaguars interiors, as they used the same tanner. They used to sell under seat cards which maintained the leather smell but I don't know if they still do. Good luck.

staatsof likes this.
  13. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    #13 msark, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Alternate Idea that worked ONCE for me ....

Ozium Odor Eliminator gel in a jar ..... I left 2 in the car at the same time I sprinkled baking soda on the carpets and bought new mats.

Left the car in the sun for a day .... Repeated again in 1 week with new chemicals and then set off a an Armor All scent bomb. Also changed the pollen filter and used an a/c duct cleaning spray. You will vacuum out the baking soda ....

It helped but wasn't perfect .... All came from Amazon.....

A big part of the issue will be the headliner .......

Good luck with the project ....

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Just to clarify: The car went though a comprehensive cleaning deodorizing procedure already which included steam cleaning of all the interior surfaces including the headliner, carpets and mats. An ozone machine was used. This was for the elimination of cigarette odor. That did eliminate the cigarette odor so we are done with that. The problem is that they added a motel scent and that didn't dissipate after 4 months so they agreed to run the ozone machine again to eliminate that scent which it has. But ... is you've ever experienced an ozone machine you know that it does leave a bit of an electrical odor. It's not horrific but you know it's there. I had it done to a smoked in hotel room once and it was fantastic. I am allergic to cigarette/cigar smoke.

So at this point I want to add a bit of leather smell. We did change the cabin filter as a part of that process. I may try that again.
    Thanks. I'll look into it.

15. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    The Ozium bottles might work to get the current scent out of the car as well as the baking soda on the carpets.
    At least that way the 2 scents wont be fighting with each other.

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    This has always been my policy.

Hocakes likes this.
  17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #17 staatsof, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    You get slapped a lot? ;) :p

BTW, after several weeks the ozone smell has disappered but their scent they insisted upon hasn't gone completely away. I hope a leather smell with make things better?

And as an added bonus ... while they were doing a really nice $65 wash one of their idiot new hires used the wrong wheel cleaner, one for chrome, which steaked the paint on my freshly refinished wheels. They've offered to refinish the wheels but I'm going to see if I can use to aggressive cleaner to ameliorate the situation. He fired the guy but I feel like must have a kick me sign on my back ... ;)

18. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    When the car is cool and parked in a level, closed-door garage, VERY CAREFULLY place a Pyrex pan on the floor and pour full strength bleach in the pan. Line the floor with many layers of towels beforehand. Let the pan sit overnight with the windows closed. In the morning, VERY CAREFULLY remove the pan and pour the bleach down a sink drain.

You will return to a car with ZERO odor.

It’s a very extreme measure but it’s the only thing that will work.