Anyone want to buy a 330P4 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Anyone want to buy a 330P4

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by iwanna860monza, Feb 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #101 El Wayne, Feb 26, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #102 P4Replica, Feb 26, 2005
    Reckon you could be right, with #0858, Wayne - one other detail that seems to have been changed from the '68 season to Fred's photo in '71 to '94 (see below) is the colour of the Sebring Mach 1 mirror - Red to Chrome (or polished alloy) to (the current) Black.
    The only thing that made me think that it might not have been #0858, was (according to Barchetta) the fact that Walter had acquired it (and one assumes shipped it Stateside) in '71, yet this Jochen Rindt memorial car show took place in October '71 (or more likely September, the anniversary of his death).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The scoop on the lower front air dam also seems to more closely resemble the one shown in your recent photo of 0858. Unfortunately, I don't have any clear period photos of 0858 showing that feature.

4. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    I noticed that there is another detail in the 0858 photo that is missing in the 0860. There is a filler cap on the right side near the windshield. This detail is on the car in the Rindt show photo as well as the current photos of 0858. This detail is missing in the 0860 photos.

David Goerndt

5. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #105 P4Replica, Feb 26, 2005
    I think you've 'hit the nail on the head' there, David ....
    It's not just the positioning of the filler caps, it's the SIZE of them. Looks like these oversized (particularly the driver's side) 'Monza' filler caps were fitted to #0858 while it was run by Paul Hawkins' Team Gunston, late in '68 - not when it was run by the factory (Bill Harrah) in '67, nor David Mackay's Scuderia Veloce, earlier in '68.
    See photos below, borrowed from 'AtlasF1', with apologies for the quality of the 'Gunston' livery press clipping.
    It looks like Walter Medlin decided to retain this feature, both back in '71, and in the subsequent restoration by GTC in '94. So #0858 it is, in Fred Lewis's Nuernberg show photo. Thanks, Guys !

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #106 P4Replica, Feb 26, 2005
    Any chance you could post some of those pre-restoration photos of #0844 and #0858 please, David ?

7. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    I've got a bunch of photos of both cars...old school 35mm. The photos you guys have posted are them.....but the paint seems darker than what I remember. The nose and snorkel mods are unmistakeable.

I took a lot of detailed photos as I worked at Norwood's at the time recreating the P4s so they were of great interest for me to see them how they rolled off the track and how they had been modified to run in Can-Am.

I need to scan them along with zillions of photos I have from years of building cars....just when to find the time. My scanner took a dump. It's an old HP.

Anybody have suggestions on a high quality scanner that's not an arm and a leg? I really need to archive photos. I have several banker boxes full of photos and negatives from 16 years of this bus.....

d

8. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco

Whoa, now that is a sight to see. PLEASE GET A SCANNER SOON!!!!

:)

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nothing high quality, but I'll provide an extended lend of a personal scanner. It will only scan 8-1/2x11. Visioneer 5800 that hardly gets any use. Oddly enough I finally ditched my old high quality HP 4c, but it was just taking up too much friggin room and the on/off capability of SCSI just isn't there unless you kick the system. With the 5800, it is just USB. Works fine, you can try it out if you'd like.

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    David.
    That is just a photo that I 'borrowed' off 'Barchetta' - taken at Monterey, in '94 - just after both cars had been restored by GTC, I believe.
    Yes, I thought I recognised your FChat 'handle', David - we spoke a few months back (or maybe it was a year ago) - we were talking about the ex-Bill Gordon Norwood P4. When you get set up with a scanner, any chance you could either email me or post some photos (in another thread) of the Norwood P4's that you worked on, please ? Thanks ! ;)

11. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    #111 speedmoore, Mar 2, 2005
    I've got a 7' photo of Gordons P4 in my front lobby....here is a photo of the photo.....

Randy, thanks for the offer, but I need to go out and buy one. The HP was too damn big for me too...almost glad it's toast.

12. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  13. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    As Boudewijn reported the other day, the auction has been cancelled. Today's (Friday) Orlando Sentinel reports that Mr Medlin paid nearly $3 million in back taxes to get his car back. He completed payment of the tax bill on Wednesday.

KevFla